Old 2 gauge shotgun: Lets go duck hunting!!!

They were used extensively in the Chesapeake for commercial duck hunting but were eventually banned for commercial use because they were devastating the duck population.

The old punt guns are getting to be very hard to come by. I haven't seen one in any of my shops in about a year, and my collection is calling :)

Yep, the Punt guns were terribly effective killers. They were used in a special canoe and the hunter would get close and let fly at the ducks while they were still on the water. It was normal to kill 85 or more with a single shot.

Back in the 1840's the professional hunters used six and four bore rifles for elephant and cape buffalo etc. Later, the small bore rifles like the .600 Nitro Express took over from them. Sir Samuel Baker had a two bore made for him by Holland and Holland that his gun bearers called "Jennah al Mutfah" which means "Son of a Cannon" and he wrote that he had only fired it about 20 times but never failed to bag with it, though "the recoil is most unmerciful, spinning me about like a weathercock in a hurricane!"

Forum List

Back