Oklahoma to publish abortion stats that could make it possible to ID individuals

Polk

Classic
Aug 25, 2009
Ost
A judge in Oklahoma extended on Friday a temporary restraining order on a law that would post information online about women who get abortions in the state.

In extending the restraining order, Oklahoma County District Judge Daniel Owens denied the state's motion to dismiss the case, putting the measure on hold until a February 19 hearing.

"We are very pleased with today's ruling. This law is a profound intrusion on women's privacy and a waste of taxpayers' money," attorney Jennifer Mondino of the Center for Reproductive Rights said in a written statement. The New York-based center had filed a suit on behalf of former state Rep. Wanda Jo Stapleton and another Oklahoma resident.

"Women in Oklahoma should not have to jump through hoops to access legal medical care and the government has no business violating the state constitution to impose those obstacles," Mondino said.

The law, passed in May, requires doctors to fill out a 10-page questionnaire for every abortion performed, including asking the woman about her age, marital status, race and years of education. In all, there are 37 questions the women are to answer.

Critics say the act would be harassment and an invasion of privacy.

"Nosy neighbors with some effort could identify or, even worse, misidentify these women who answer these questions," said Stapleton.

"We are very committed from keeping the law from going into effect," Mondino said. "The law represents a very serious invasion of women's privacy interests."

Lamb said he believes the law will stand. "None of the bill is being challenged on the merits of the legislation," he says.

Abortion rights supporters are extremely concerned about the intrusiveness of the questions, and fear that identities of women could be compromised, especially in small communities.

"It requires doctors to ask and submit answers to at least 37 intensely personal questions. There are details in those questions about rape, incest, abuse, relationship problems and emotional health," Stapleton said. "I think women can be identified."

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in 1969 drafted criteria for vital statistics around abortion to look at infant and maternal mortality in an effort to make the procedure safer.

The CDC's guidelines have long been considered the standard and "all the states pretty much follow that," said Elizabeth Nash, who tracks state abortion legislation for the Guttmacher Institute.

"You compare the law in Oklahoma to the CDC standard, and you see the law in Oklahoma goes far beyond what has been considered appropriate for vital statistics purposes," Nash said.

Online posting of women's abortion information challenged in Oklahoma - CNN.com

Wow. Just wow.

A judge in Oklahoma extended on Friday a temporary restraining order on a law that would post information online about women who get abortions in the state....

Wow. Just wow.

This a good example of conservative hypocrisy. They want to identify women who get abortions but they'll allow concealed gun carriers to sneak around without the first shred of obligation to identify themselves.

When I first read this I thought it was harassment. But the womens names are still anonymous and you would have to go to great length to figure who filled out the questionaire. A 10 page questionaire seems to be more about harassing doctors

Actually this is about insuring that these women are given full information about the proceedure they are about to undergo. And a Doctor has a hypocratic oath that says 'first do no harm'. An abotionist has already violated that oath for money.

I don't see anywhere in that article that the information would be posted on-line except in the headline. Am I missing something?
"If the law does go forward, the state Department of Health is to have the Web site up and running by March 1, 2011. Doctors are to begin submitting completed questionnaires 30 days later."

And if the womens names and addresses aren't available on the Web site trying to figure out who they are is a guessing game.

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of such a law.

Someone please enlighten me.

Under federal HIPAA laws patient medical information cannot be given out unless the patient gives consent. My guess would be this is a data gathering endevor rather than an attempt to publish names.

you can't publish any information gained for medical reasons without the patients consent, this would violate hippa laws.

Limits on Use of Personal Medical Information. The privacy rule sets limits on how health plans and covered providers may use individually identifiable health information. To promote the best quality care for patients, the rule does not restrict the ability of doctors, nurses and other providers to share information needed to treat their patients. In other situations, though, personal health information generally may not be used for purposes not related to health care, and covered entities may use or share only the minimum amount of protected information needed for a particular purpose. In addition, patients would have to sign a specific authorization before a covered entity could release their medical information to a life insurer, a bank, a marketing firm or another outside business for purposes not related to their health care.
Protecting the Privacy of Patients' Health Information

A judge in Oklahoma extended on Friday a temporary restraining order on a law that would post information online about women who get abortions in the state....

Wow. Just wow.

This a good example of conservative hypocrisy. They want to identify women who get abortions but they'll allow concealed gun carriers to sneak around without the first shred of obligation to identify themselves.

well, you jerks insisted that John McCain make his enitre medical record available who wha'ts yer fricking problem?

Wow. Just wow.

well, you jerks insisted that John McCain make his enitre medical record available who wha'ts yer fricking problem?

which he could of refused to submit, so that arguement doesn't hold up.

which he could of refused to submit, so that arguement doesn't hold up.

you should demand it of abortion ladies too else you might be a hypocrite!

I never demanded to see his medical records, so therefore I am not a hypocrite.

And everytime you go to the doctor you better tell him it will be alright to release your medical records and personal info, so you don't seem like a hypocrite.

I never demanded to see his medical records, so therefore I am not a hypocrite.

And everytime you go to the doctor you better tell him it will be alright to release your medical records and personal info, so you don't seem like a hypocrite.

I'll tell em I have a concealed carry permit too.. that will make yer hypocrite friend happy too? huh? :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back