Oklahoma bans the 10 commandments

rdking647

VIP Member
Mar 10, 2009
austin tx
OKlahoma passed the unconstitutional ban on Sharia law. I wonder if they realized that the 10 commandments are part of Sharia law and are now banned....

what a bunch of morons

OKlahoma passed the unconstitutional ban on Sharia law. I wonder if they realized that the 10 commandments are part of Sharia law and are now banned....

what a bunch of morons

You misunderstand the law, as you probably havent read it. Sharia and other law structures outside of code are only banned from being used as a basis for legal decsions. As most of the things covered by the last 7 commandments are already covered under local and federal law, this really isnt an issue.

I would think most progressive aethiest types would love this sort of thing and support it.

:eusa_eh:
It's called separation of church and state. They're saying Shiria law cannot trump constitutional law the same way Roman Catholic law cannot trump constitutional law. :cuckoo:

Last edited:
If the Ten Commandments are part of the Quran, would these Sharia law enthusiasts not be in violation of their own religion? Maybe the part about "Thou shall not kill"?

Looks like overkill to me.

The US Constitution already puts any faith laws of any kind well under state and Federal laws.

Seems to me someone was trying to score some political points by passing some tuff talk bs.

Joseph Thai, a professor at the University of Oklahoma's College of Law, said the ballot measure is "an answer in search of a problem." He said he knows of no other state that has approved similar measures.

"There is no plausible danger of international law or Sharia law overtaking the legal system," Thai said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. He said courts only consider international law when deciding issues involving a federal treaty, a business contract or a will that incorporates international law.

Thai said the ballot measure "raises thorny church-state problems as well" and could even affect a state judge's ability to consider the Ten Commandments.

"The Ten Commandments, of course, is international law. It did not originate in Oklahoma or the United States," Thai said.

Rick Tepker, a law professor at the University of Oklahoma School of Law believes the "Save Our State" constitutional amendment may have the unwanted side effect of preventing judges from referencing the Ten Commandments. Tepker called the measure "a mess."

and this is a state that wants the 10 commandments on the state capitol grounds...
maybe they should put a sign next to them saying "invalid due to Oklahoma voters stupidity"

Joseph Thai, a professor at the University of Oklahoma's College of Law, said the ballot measure is "an answer in search of a problem." He said he knows of no other state that has approved similar measures.

"There is no plausible danger of international law or Sharia law overtaking the legal system," Thai said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. He said courts only consider international law when deciding issues involving a federal treaty, a business contract or a will that incorporates international law.

Thai said the ballot measure "raises thorny church-state problems as well" and could even affect a state judge's ability to consider the Ten Commandments.

"The Ten Commandments, of course, is international law. It did not originate in Oklahoma or the United States," Thai said.

Rick Tepker, a law professor at the University of Oklahoma School of Law believes the "Save Our State" constitutional amendment may have the unwanted side effect of preventing judges from referencing the Ten Commandments. Tepker called the measure "a mess."

and this is a state that wants the 10 commandments on the state capitol grounds...
maybe they should put a sign next to them saying "invalid due to Oklahoma voters stupidity"

You have to understand that with all the Muslims running around Oklahoma (I think there were four at the last count) people have a reason to be afraid

You have to understand that with all the Muslims running around Oklahoma (I think there were four at the last count) people have a reason to be afraid

It seems rather unconstitutional to ban the laws of one select religion. I would think they would have to ban the laws of all religions in order to make this stick.

It seems rather unconstitutional to ban the laws of one select religion. I would think they would have to ban the laws of all religions in order to make this stick.

Kind of like banning a mosque because it makes you uncomfortable

what a bunch of morons

Here is the actual wording on the ballot we voted on last week. I voted yes.

STATE QUESTION NO. 755 LEGISLATIVE REFERENDUM NO. 355

This measure amends the State Constitution. It changes a section that deals with the courts of this state. It would amend Article 7, Section 1. It makes courts rely on federal and state law when deciding cases. It forbids courts from considering or using international law. It forbids courts from considering or using Sharia Law.

International law is also known as the law of nations. It deals with the conduct of international organizations and independent nations, such as countries, states and tribes. It deals with their relationship with each other. It also deals with some of their relationships with persons.

The law of nations is formed by the general assent of civilized nations. Sources of international law also include international agreements, as well as treaties.

Sharia Law is Islamic law. It is based on two principal sources, the Koran and the teaching of Mohammed.

SHALL THE PROPOSAL BE APPROVED? FOR THE PROPOSAL — YES

AGAINST THE PROPOSAL — NO

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- A law passed this year allows Arkansans of any age -- even infants -- to marry if their parents agree

Nation & World | Mistake in Ark. law allows toddlers to marry with parental OK | Seattle Times Newspaper

Kinda make me wonder a bit about OK.

You do realize that Arkansas and Oklahoma are two different states don't you?

Rick

OOPS! Major brain fart on my part. Full apologies to OK people.
thanks for pointing that out.

Tell me, how many Christian courts have you heard of where Christians go to get judgements instead of thru the government courts? Go ahead, we'll wait. The difference is that other religions have beliefs, Islam has courts who render verdicts. In a nation governed by law, other court systems are not acceptable.

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- A law passed this year allows Arkansans of any age -- even infants -- to marry if their parents agree

Nation & World | Mistake in Ark. law allows toddlers to marry with parental OK | Seattle Times Newspaper

You do realize that Arkansas and Oklahoma are two different states don't you?

Rick

OOPS! Major brain fart on my part. Full apologies to OK people.
thanks for pointing that out.

You better not be throwing us Okies in with those mouth breathing, knuckle dragging Razorbacks!!! ;)

Ahh the swampland that spawned Bill clinton. I lived there for 4 years, if the heat and humidity don't get you, the cuntry fried dumbditty will.

But I always, and I mean ALWAYS laugh when liberals poke fun at Arkanas then brag about how great Bill was. did you know that Hillary Rodam-Clinton never once mention the Rodam part when she was 1st lady of AR?

Tell me, how many Christian courts have you heard of where Christians go to get judgements instead of thru the government courts? Go ahead, we'll wait. The difference is that other religions have beliefs, Islam has courts who render verdicts. In a nation governed by law, other court systems are not acceptable.

Criminal issues must be governed by US criminal courts. Civil issues can still be handled in Muslim courts if both litigants agree.

Forum List

Back