Okay... So Here It Is...

several lines in my family were slave holders prior to the War Between The States...

so, yeah... I'm descended from slave holders...

and, yeah, they benefited from slave labor...

but they also got pretty well fucked over during and after the War Between The States...

and, yeah, during the years that followed the War Between The States, some fell into sympathies for the the KKK...

but most didn't... one of my uncles was assassinated by a hired gun brought over from Texas because he refused to go along with the Klan...

so... anyhow... should I now bend over and let Jesse & Co. fuck me up the ass because my ancestors were slave holders...?

Who is asking you to do that and how?

good point, PO... and thanks for asking that question...

I appreciate it when folks keep me honest in a discussion without launching into cheap shots...

now... back to your question... it seems to me that I and other white folks are expected to acquiesce to demands from the black community for reparations...

this after a war that essentially destroyed the wealth (not to mention the lives of the best and brightest of many of the young men) of the slave-holding states...

and after billions of federal dollars have been spent over the course of the last 50 years to improve the standing of the average black person...

so my questions to you would be: What more needs to be done to make things right...?

Is it attainable...?

Is there an end in sight...?

There are plenty of Black people in my life (friends, family, neighbors, co-workers, etc.) we talk about politics, current events, etc., I have NEVER heard any one of them discuss the desire or need for reparations. There may be a few people on the "fringe" who advocate for reparations, but that's certainly NOT anywhere near the norm.

I think that those Black people who were slaves deserved reparations and help to normalize their lives as a free people.

What were those specific programs that the "billions of dollars spent onto improve the lives of the average Black person"?

I can only speak for myself, I don't need a damn thing, i just want to be left alone to live my life the way i want to live it.

Last edited:
I'm a descendant of the Scots-Irish and a Son of Appalachia. My lineage is dirt poor and I was born to a 15 year old girl. I had mainly a shitty childhood but found success and a great wife in the US Navy. I now have a great life, two great adult children, a great cat and dog, lots of cool toys, and a meaningful job. I owe nobody anything and feel no guilt for events in his country's past.

I'm a descendant of the Scots-Irish and a Son of Appalachia. My lineage is dirt poor and I was born to a 15 year old girl. I had mainly a shitty childhood but found success and a great wife in the US Navy. I now have a great life, two great adult children, a great cat and dog, lots of cool toys, and a meaningful job. I owe nobody anything and feel no guilt for events in his country's past.

Good for you! There are other people like you from many different "races" and ethnic groups who found success the same way you did. Thank you for your service.
american-flag.jpg

Good for you! There are other people like you from many different "races" and ethnic groups who found success the same way you did. Thank you for your service.
american-flag.jpg

You're right and that's the point of my post. Regardless of race or background or crappy start in life, people are capable of rising above the crap and doing good. It takes effort and motivation but that is part of the fun.

And thanks for the thanks but it was an honor and privilege to work for the US of A for 26 years.

american-flag.jpg

You're right and that's the point of my post. Regardless of race or background or crappy start in life, people are capable of rising above the crap and doing good. It takes effort and motivation but that is part of the fun.

And thanks for the thanks but it was an honor and privilege to work for the US of A for 26 years.
Excellent points!

I did it for 6 years. In retrospect, I should have taken you path (20+years)

Forum List

Back