Okay Everybody, Let's Get SERIOUS!!!! About Energy Independence

toon-8.jpg

The first time I heard anyone propose a program to make American Energy Independent was a speech given by Richard Nixon in 1973. Almost every president since then has proposed one. And we are more dependent than ever. And that isn't a bad thing.
And no, sorry, I am at work and cant watch the video.

Seriously guys, when you do get a chance watch the video. It does take a few minutes to watch but is worth it all the way to the end. I'm not kidding. If you appreciate the hutzpah and irony of politics, you can't help but just shake your head and appreciate it. Okay, it's supposed to generate laughs. But I swear it is the most educational thing I've seen on the subject this year.

And Rabbi, it is probably a clip from that 1973 speech that is one of the features in the video. :)

start with you own home...solar panels all w/ all electric appliances...grey water system and reclaimed stormwater storage....

You constantly here the enviro nuts saying "It is time to stop using all fosil fuels and go green. close all coal and nuke power plants build wind turbines and replace all autos for electric cars." The question is where are we going to get all the electricity to power everything? Green is a farce just like global warming!!!

If we could create energy from bullshit then Baffoon Hussain Obama would be a new source of energy!!! every thing that this guy says or does is bullshit!!!!

The point of the video, however, was of course to get laughs. But for me it was a huge object lesson that our politicans do their damndest to convince us of what they intend to do, but not one really has a clue how to get it done. Or if they do, they aren't brave enough to do it. :)

And ya'll hit on the absolute reason why it hasn't been done for all these decades. It would be great to use all manner of alternate energy sources, but the fact remains, all those alternate energy sources require energy to produce or are impractical to fulfill some energy needs or we'll run out of space before we can install enough of them to make a significant difference.

To the best of my knowledge, humankind still hasn't perfected a perpetual motion machine. You still have to infuse energy from something to keep it going.

But before we discuss who is and isn't serious about energy independence, and who is likely to do something about it, please watch this video:

Video: An Energy-Independent Future | The Daily Show | Comedy Central
Very Funny.

We will only move to alternative energy forms when the price of gas get's over $5/gal. Then alternative energy sources will make good financial sense and the Chinese will have developed the industries to provide us with everything we need.

You constantly here the enviro nuts saying "It is time to stop using all fosil fuels and go green. close all coal and nuke power plants build wind turbines and replace all autos for electric cars." The question is where are we going to get all the electricity to power everything? Green is a farce just like global warming!!!
Yeah....a farce....and, science-fiction is another excuse (to pardon our LAZINESS).....while someone-else....as usual....is doing the work, required, to develop a new-industry....somewhere OTHER THAN THE U.S.!!!!!!

:mad:

"At 250 nanometers, EnSol's solar film is 800 times thinner than the silicon wafers that are used to make traditional solar cells, and dozens of times thinner than other solar films on the market. Using standard industrial coating techniques, EnSol's product could be applied to almost any surface, from windows to roof tiles—potentially turning whole buildings into solar panels. The cells could be manipulated to appear in any color. Denby won't say which metals EnSol uses, only that he says they are cheap and nontoxic."

(Gee.....isn't this the kind o' advancement that TAX-CUTS were supposed to spawn?? :eusa_eh: )​

Yeah, I just watched it again too LooseCannon and it was just as funny as the first time I saw it. Entertained a few folks here at home with it too. :)

But the point is that every president speaks a good game and probably even has good intentions. But oil is the fuel of democracy and freedom and prosperity and we're probably going to have to live with it until technology comes up with something better. And by the time we run out of oil, I am confident that technology will have moved far beyond it. We don't have to force it. We don't have to plan it. We certainly don't have to take away people's freedom, choices, opportunities, and options. It will happen because it always has.

Forum List

Back