OK Techies I need help

techieny

Conservative
Jun 19, 2011
I have an old (my daughters) laptop that will not boot up. The HD is good. I setup a partition on my computer to access the HD. I just want the data. I tried legacy laplink...FAIL. I tried my limited knowledge of UNIX to create a forced DOS startup....FAILED. Thoughts???

Go download a copy of any Linux distro, burn it to a disk, and start the machine via the cd drive.
You'll see the :c drive, go in and copy what you need to some sort of external drive....like a USB thumb drive.
This distribution is pretty idiot proof
You said "old" so I recommend Mint 10 Julia(an older version)
It says "obsolete" but still works like a champ
Releases - Linux Mint

I have an old (my daughters) laptop that will not boot up. The HD is good. I setup a partition on my computer to access the HD. I just want the data. I tried legacy laplink...FAIL. I tried my limited knowledge of UNIX to create a forced DOS startup....FAILED. Thoughts???

Take the HDD out of the laptop, and take it to your local computer store. They should have a HDD docking USB station for 20-30 bucks. If you can get one with both SATA and IDE then that would be best and "future proof". You can google HDD docking station and get pictures so you wont get scammed :)

Go home, plug the HDD dock into your computer, add the laptop HDD and it will add it to your machine and you can do whatever you want :)

You could also just open up your pc and add the HDD to your machine internally, but that is a lot of work.

Forum List

Back