OK...Same Old Story..Lanza Was Bullied..When He Attended Sandy Hook!

HUGGY

I Post Because I Care
Mar 24, 2009
Seattle at large...Ballard lately
"By NBC News staff and wire services
Updated at 8 p.m. ET: A picture of Adam Lanza slowly emerged Saturday, as acquaintances said his behavior included pressing up against walls to avoid others and clutching his briefcase. Investigators, meanwhile, said they hoped that "very good evidence" found at his home would shed light on what pushed him to kill 26 children and teachers as well as his mother.

Connecticut State Police Lt. Paul Vance said Saturday that investigators had found "very good evidence ... that our investigators will be able to use in painting the complete picture, the 'how' and, more importantly, the 'why this occurred.'"

But he would not elaborate and the mystery deepened as education officials in Newtown, Conn., said they had found no link between Lanza's mother and the school, contrary to news reports that said she was a teacher there.

Connecticut school shooter was 'very nervous around people' - U.S. News

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Investigators said they believe Lanza, 20, attended Sandy Hook Elementary many years ago, but they had no explanation for why he went there on Friday.

Lanza shot and killed his mother, Nancy Lanza, at the home they shared, then drove to the school in her car, forced his way inside and opened fire in two classrooms, authorities said. Within minutes, he killed 20 children, six adults and himself.

Authorities said Lanza had no criminal history; it was not clear whether he had a job.

His father, who learned about the shooting from a reporter at the Stamford Advocate, said in a statement that he was in a "state of disbelief and trying to find whatever answers we can." Lanza said he has cooperated with law enforcement and will continue to do so.

Meanwhile, acquaintances described the former honor student as smart but odd and remote.

"We would hang out, and he was a good kid," Joshua Milas told The Associated Press. He said he had not seen Lanza in a few years. "He was probably one of the smartest kids I know. He was probably a genius."

"(His mother) pushed him really hard to be smarter and work harder in school," Tim Arnone told Reuters. He first met Lanza at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

"He was very different and very shy and didn't make an effort to interact with anybody" in his 10th-grade English class at Newtown High School, Olivia DeVivo told the AP. DeVivo, now a student at the University of Connecticut, said Lanza always came to school toting a briefcase and wearing his shirt buttoned all the way up.

"Now looking back, it's kind of like 'OK, he had all these signs,' but you can't say every shy person would do something like this," she said.

Richard Novia — who until 2008 was the school district's head of security and adviser to the school's technology club, of which Lanza was a member — described Lanza to the AP as "a loner."

"You had yourself a very scared young boy, who was very nervous around people," he added.

Novia said Lanza had extreme difficulties relating to fellow students and teachers, as well as a strange bodily condition: "If that boy would've burned himself, he would not have known it or felt it physically."

Lanza would also go through crises that would require his mother to come to school to deal with them. Such episodes might involve "total withdrawal from whatever he was supposed to be doing, be it a class, be it sitting and reading a book," Novia told the AP.

When people approached Lanza in the hallways, he would press himself against the wall or walk in a different direction, clutching his black briefcase "like an 8-year-old who refuses to give up his teddy bear," said Novia, who now lives in Tennessee.

Even so, Novia said his primary concern about Lanza was that he might become a target for teasing or abuse by his fellow students, not that he might become a threat himself."

This is the same old story as in Columbine... just delayed by 12-15 years. The kid was picked on.

The signs were there. This guy was so withdrawn from the world. So depressed.

He needed a support system to help him through those years and he didn't have it, from the sounds of it.

This is what can happen without that structure. He either goes out alone or takes others with him.

Updated at 8 p.m. ET: A picture of Adam Lanza slowly emerged Saturday, as acquaintances said his behavior included pressing up against walls to avoid others and clutching his briefcase. Investigators, meanwhile, said they hoped that "very good evidence" found at his home would shed light on what pushed him to kill 26 children and teachers as well as his mother.

Connecticut State Police Lt. Paul Vance said Saturday that investigators had found "very good evidence ... that our investigators will be able to use in painting the complete picture, the 'how' and, more importantly, the 'why this occurred.'"

But he would not elaborate and the mystery deepened as education officials in Newtown, Conn., said they had found no link between Lanza's mother and the school, contrary to news reports that said she was a teacher there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Investigators said they believe Lanza, 20, attended Sandy Hook Elementary many years ago, but they had no explanation for why he went there on Friday.

Lanza shot and killed his mother, Nancy Lanza, at the home they shared, then drove to the school in her car, forced his way inside and opened fire in two classrooms, authorities said. Within minutes, he killed 20 children, six adults and himself.

Authorities said Lanza had no criminal history; it was not clear whether he had a job.

His father, who learned about the shooting from a reporter at the Stamford Advocate, said in a statement that he was in a "state of disbelief and trying to find whatever answers we can." Lanza said he has cooperated with law enforcement and will continue to do so.

Meanwhile, acquaintances described the former honor student as smart but odd and remote.

"We would hang out, and he was a good kid," Joshua Milas told The Associated Press. He said he had not seen Lanza in a few years. "He was probably one of the smartest kids I know. He was probably a genius."

"(His mother) pushed him really hard to be smarter and work harder in school," Tim Arnone told Reuters. He first met Lanza at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

"He was very different and very shy and didn't make an effort to interact with anybody" in his 10th-grade English class at Newtown High School, Olivia DeVivo told the AP. DeVivo, now a student at the University of Connecticut, said Lanza always came to school toting a briefcase and wearing his shirt buttoned all the way up.

"Now looking back, it's kind of like 'OK, he had all these signs,' but you can't say every shy person would do something like this," she said.

Richard Novia — who until 2008 was the school district's head of security and adviser to the school's technology club, of which Lanza was a member — described Lanza to the AP as "a loner."

"You had yourself a very scared young boy, who was very nervous around people," he added.

Novia said Lanza had extreme difficulties relating to fellow students and teachers, as well as a strange bodily condition: "If that boy would've burned himself, he would not have known it or felt it physically."

Lanza would also go through crises that would require his mother to come to school to deal with them. Such episodes might involve "total withdrawal from whatever he was supposed to be doing, be it a class, be it sitting and reading a book," Novia told the AP.

When people approached Lanza in the hallways, he would press himself against the wall or walk in a different direction, clutching his black briefcase "like an 8-year-old who refuses to give up his teddy bear," said Novia, who now lives in Tennessee.

Even so, Novia said his primary concern about Lanza was that he might become a target for teasing or abuse by his fellow students, not that he might become a threat himself."

This is the same old story as in Columbine... just delayed by 12-15 years. The kid was picked on.

Yea.....shy and reserved until he has mommys Bushmaster in his hands

He needed a support system to help him through those years and he didn't have it, from the sounds of it.

This is what can happen without that structure. He either goes out alone or takes others with him.

Well....thanks to dumbass laws that prevent clearly insane people from being held and treated against their "will" - we have guys like this running around in every city, town and village in America.
Instead, most of them are held in prisons...released...imprisoned...released...

the first thing my husband said when the press named the guns...is how the hell does a 20 year old buy those expensive weapons? many gun owning mothers like myself.....are so totally in shock and looking at our sons wondering what the hell went wrong with this young man. i gave my son his first gun, i taught him how to shoot...my son went thru the goth stage...which i simply pointed out was a bunch of them sitting in a dark room smoking pot thinking they were great abstract thinkers and great individuals all dressed in back....but he was never violent....i simply cant fathom what went wrong and how she didnt know it....i could not imagine the last thing seeing on earth....is your son pointing a gun at you....i simply cant imagine and nor can most mothers....

to this day i would not question my son walking in with a gun or getting a gun from storage.....how can a mother not see the madness? or did she just deny is....

the first thing my husband said when the press named the guns...is how the hell does a 20 year old buy those expensive weapons? many gun owning mothers like myself.....are so totally in shock and looking at our sons wondering what the hell went wrong with this young man. i gave my son his first gun, i taught him how to shoot...my son went thru the goth stage...which i simply pointed out was a bunch of them sitting in a dark room smoking pot thinking they were great abstract thinkers and great individuals all dressed in back....but he was never violent....i simply cant fathom what went wrong and how she didnt know it....i could not imagine the last thing seeing on earth....is your son pointing a gun at you....i simply cant imagine and nor can most mothers....

to this day i would not question my son walking in with a gun or getting a gun from storage.....how can a mother not see the madness? or did she just deny is....

The difference is your son is not mentally ill.
The shooter was.
Indeed, one has to wonder WTF was in this womens mind to have 5 guns in a home with a mentally disturbed 20 year old living with her....one of them a semi-automatic rifle.

We may never know the demons the young man carried with him. This was probably a fantasy that he had been working for some time

Two things apparent here. Most of the shooters have shown signs of serious mental illness prior to the shootings. In about a third of the cases, people have requested help from the authorities. I saw no cases where such help was given.

The second is the ease of access for these mentally ill to the war weopons that can kill so rapidly. 30 rounds in about ten seconds and then two seconds to change the magazine. Why do we need such weopons in the publics hands? Three shootings with these types of weopons in just this week. It is time to address this madness.

This is the reason why we have crazy people running around killing others. It's not their fault. They didn't get what they NEED. They are entitled to sanity and if they don't have it, we need to support the insanity. Give it some structure why doncha.

They need to be identified and separated from the innocent. We are NOT all in this together and we owe one another NOTHING. It is not the fault of the societal structure. If the signs were there early on, then he needed to be taken out of the classes, taken out of the school and impressed with the internal controls he lacked.

This is the reason why we have crazy people running around killing others. It's not their fault. They didn't get what they NEED. They are entitled to sanity and if they don't have it, we need to support the insanity. Give it some structure why doncha.

They need to be identified and separated from the innocent. We are NOT all in this together and we owe one another NOTHING. It is not the fault of the societal structure. If the signs were there early on, then he needed to be taken out of the classes, taken out of the school and impressed with the internal controls he lacked.

In almost all cases once the "child" turns 18 there is nothing anyone can do. An adult cannot be forced to seek treatment, stay in treatment, or take their meds.

It is important to decriminalize mental illness and seriously put the shrinks in charge of the whole process - hospitalization, treatment and medicine.

Deinstitutionalization has caused prisons to take the place of local mental health facilities and one can easily see how it is not working. Those who know their relative is probably one of the dangerous mentally ill need to be able to turn that relative in for stabilization and treatment.

It would help if those subject to involuntary commitment don't have to carry it on a background check forever. A shrink should be able to sign off on the background check after 5 years of well medicated remission.

Regards from Rosie

and the mother had a stockpile of gun in the home with this nut case in the home?

he never attended sandy hook

I'm just going by this article. It claims he attended there. What was announced early on was that his mother was a teacher there and she apparantly was not. The teacher he shot there was only 27. She would have had to given birth to him when she was 7.

here's another link

School adviser: Gunman a loner who felt no pain - Yahoo! News

The adviser of the tech club stated that he wasn't bullied --perhaps teased.

He didn't seem to feel pain--psychological or physical.

I suppose more could have been done for him but it sounds like his parents/mother was aware and involved throughout high school.

What is the answer--I don't know.

Confining/institutionalizing anyone/everyone with the potential for antisocial tendencies is something that cannot and will not and probably should not happen.

It is perhaps necessary to examine every aspect of such a tragedy but I haven't discovered what sort of a proactive plan that could be implemented locally or nationally to prevent further incidents.

Guns--if he hadn't been able to access the guns in his mother's home --possibly he would have found another way?

Games--many people play the same games and might even be said to be obsessed but do not harm others.

A mental health professional stated that if an individual reveals a plan that is harmful to others or the individual then that can be reported. Some may not be inclined to share that sort of fyi even if they are receiving help.

If there is something that can be done I hope steps will be taken to move forward--I can't imagine what that could be.

he never attended sandy hook

I'm just going by this article. It claims he attended there. What was announced early on was that his mother was a teacher there and she apparantly was not. The teacher he shot there was only 27. She would have had to given birth to him when she was 7.

I haven't heard anyone say if the students that were killed were in this teacher's class. The parents of a boy in that class that survived said the he and a few others ran out the door past the gunman after he shot the teacher.

I was relieved to hear that they won't return to school on Monday. What the community will need to do to recover I can't imagine. Nearly 30 funerals will have to be scheduled in the next couple of weeks. Some families may be able to leave--vacation, etc but finding 'normalcy' in the community would seem almost impossible.

And there doesn't seem to be much that outsiders can do for them at this point.

Someone in NC sent 26/28 Christmas trees to be planted on the school grounds. That was thoughtful.

quote]

In almost all cases once the "child" turns 18 there is nothing anyone can do. An adult cannot be forced to seek treatment, stay in treatment, or take their meds.

It is important to decriminalize mental illness and seriously put the shrinks in charge of the whole process - hospitalization, treatment and medicine.

Deinstitutionalization has caused prisons to take the place of local mental health facilities and one can easily see how it is not working. Those who know their relative is probably one of the dangerous mentally ill need to be able to turn that relative in for stabilization and treatment.

It would help if those subject to involuntary commitment don't have to carry it on a background check forever. A shrink should be able to sign off on the background check after 5 years of well medicated remission.

Regards from Rosie

Maybe that sort of plan would work--I honestly don't have that much confidence that it would.

--Deinstutionalization. 'Knowing that a relative is one of the dangerously mentally ill'. 5 years of well medicated remission.

This individual sounds like his problems overlapped. Several times it has been stated that autism/asperberger's is not a mental illness but a neurological disorder. How that would affect any other psychological problems only experts might be able to theorize.

Is there some type of medication that would help? Would something else have made a difference?

Sadly we have tens of thousands of homeless people who presumably suffer from mental illness and probably have no access to professional care and yet they are not the individuals responsible for this type of tragedy. Certainly, increased services to all who have such needs would be beneficial to society, imo. Where a dime can be found to address this issue I wouldn't know. Things could not be worse for mental health in my state/GA.

and the mother had a stockpile of gun in the home with this nut case in the home?

Obviously not the smartest thing in the world to do....and I'll never understand why she kept weapons in the home when she knew her son was this sick....but she's not the one who killed those kids. If she kept the weapons/ammo locked up, then the kid found a way to get them without her help. For all we know, she may have walked in on him obtaining the weapons, they had words and she tried to stop him, and he killed her.

Regards from Rosie

Maybe that sort of plan would work--I honestly don't have that much confidence that it would.

--Deinstutionalization. 'Knowing that a relative is one of the dangerously mentally ill'. 5 years of well medicated remission.

This individual sounds like his problems overlapped. Several times it has been stated that autism/asperberger's is not a mental illness but a neurological disorder. How that would affect any other psychological problems only experts might be able to theorize.

Is there some type of medication that would help? Would something else have made a difference?

Sadly we have tens of thousands of homeless people who presumably suffer from mental illness and probably have no access to professional care and yet they are not the individuals responsible for this type of tragedy. Certainly, increased services to all who have such needs would be beneficial to society, imo. Where a dime can be found to address this issue I wouldn't know. Things could not be worse for mental health in my state/GA.

Asperger's syndrome did NOT cause this kid to go out and kill people.

Yes, I believe that point has been made. If there is some combination of factors--at this point it is pure speculation.

shrug--What causes a person to fixate on something? I cannot tell you. 'Depression'--but that alone doesn't compel people to commit violent acts.

True. Given his age and gender it was more likely paranoid schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. Both the Gabby Gifford's and the Aurora shooters were delusional and paranoid - seems like this could be like that; there isn't a live shooter to study after this latest massacre, however.

The autism spectrum doesn't cause the deranged thinking and behaviors of massacre perpetrators.

Regards from Rosie

Last edited:

Forum List

Back