Ok, ok he won. Now Calm down.

bobbymcgill

Aug 23, 2008
While Obama is surely better than the alternative, and a tremendous leap forward from the act of presidency committed on the world for the past eight years, don't be expecting miracles from the man.

As I sit here and conjecture on how this whole "Hope" thing will unfold, I am reminded of a bit of wisdom I picked up back at San Francisco State from my Black Politics professor, Robert C. Smith --who among several other books also compiled the Encyclopedia of African American Politics.

I used to enjoy sitting outside his office shooting the bull and bumming his disgusting menthol cigarettes. And to give you an idea of his persona: He once told me that the publishers of his Encyclopedia were giving him a hard time because he refused to include Rosa Parks.

His reason? "All she did was sit on a damned bus!"

At any rate, Professor Smith once said during a lecture that it doesn't matter who the president is or what color they are, they "must still govern from within the box" and that Blacks shouldn't expect monumental change just because "one of us is in the White House."

I think that applies to all change issued forth from the Oval Office. Quite simply, the American system was not designed for a rapid progress. So, I suggest you don't set your sights too high on the message of hope.

There is no doubt that our drawn out election process was designed for drastic rhetoric, and Obama nailed that every step of the way. But regardless of race or rhetoric, I look for the Obama honeymoon to end fairly quickly, as he gets to the task of governance in what looks to be a difficult road ahead. In other words, I don't expect too much.

As I liked to say back when I was cute and girls were far more interested in me: "I am not a hopeless romantic honey, I am a hopeful romantic."

Not bad advice as we awake to the much heralded, "Dawn of a new day."

Idle Wordship-The World We View - News and Commentary

I need no calming down.

I am calmer now that I have been for years.

We have wrestled the helm of power from the monied insterests.

The man we have looking at the most top secret files of this country as we speak is a man of the people.

He will NOT be bought.

He will be OUR representative.

He will not be able to please everyone of us at every momment but he is one of us.

While Obama is surely better than the alternative, and a tremendous leap forward from the act of presidency committed on the world for the past eight years, don't be expecting miracles from the man.

As I sit here and conjecture on how this whole "Hope" thing will unfold, I am reminded of a bit of wisdom I picked up back at San Francisco State from my Black Politics professor, Robert C. Smith --who among several other books also compiled the Encyclopedia of African American Politics.

I used to enjoy sitting outside his office shooting the bull and bumming his disgusting menthol cigarettes. And to give you an idea of his persona: He once told me that the publishers of his Encyclopedia were giving him a hard time because he refused to include Rosa Parks.

His reason? "All she did was sit on a damned bus!"

At any rate, Professor Smith once said during a lecture that it doesn't matter who the president is or what color they are, they "must still govern from within the box" and that Blacks shouldn't expect monumental change just because "one of us is in the White House."

I think that applies to all change issued forth from the Oval Office. Quite simply, the American system was not designed for a rapid progress. So, I suggest you don't set your sights too high on the message of hope.

There is no doubt that our drawn out election process was designed for drastic rhetoric, and Obama nailed that every step of the way. But regardless of race or rhetoric, I look for the Obama honeymoon to end fairly quickly, as he gets to the task of governance in what looks to be a difficult road ahead. In other words, I don't expect too much.

As I liked to say back when I was cute and girls were far more interested in me: "I am not a hopeless romantic honey, I am a hopeful romantic."

Not bad advice as we awake to the much heralded, "Dawn of a new day."

Idle Wordship-The World We View - News and Commentary

Obama can sit in the White House for the next 4 years and do nothing but give inspirational speeches and ask people to have patience with him. While many would like for him to take action on a lot of fronts, he is a symbolic victor for every person in the country who feels a sense of victimhood. His apologists will give him a pass---on anything.

man are you going to be disapointed with the reality of an Obama presidency

I'm watching the dow fall, all the "monied" interests are moving outta dodge.

losers, what's plan B you ask? donnaknow?:razz:

man are you going to be disapointed with the reality of an Obama presidency

Says the woman who can rationalize anything. :lol:

Do out troops come home the day he is inaugurated ? Or are we suddenly ok with them hanging out there for a couple of more years ?

I need no calming down.

The man we have looking at the most top secret files of this country as we speak is a man of the people.

He will NOT be bought.

He will not be able to please everyone of us at every momment but he is one of us.

:rofl:

i feel sorry for you if you actually believe this tripe.

Did anyone see the celebration last night at Obama rallya nd see the kid running around with the USSR flag?

What a douche

I'm watching the dow fall, all the "monied" interests are moving outta dodge.

losers, what's plan B you ask? donnaknow?:razz:

i guess this means Wall Street doesn't have a lobbying hold on obama as BACoal and others had thought....?

i guess this means Wall Street doesn't have a lobbying hold on obama as BACoal and others had thought....?

I don't know what it means to you. What it means to me is they are moving their money before the brockguy taxes them to death. so I was asking what's plan B? does he have one? When there are not enough rich people to buy you people off? class warfare sucks.

just saying....if policies are the reason for the drop on wall street today....then what other people are saying, that wall street OWNS our politicians INCLUDING obama, must NOT be true.....otherwise his election would not have driven the stock market down, as you implied willow.

just saying....if policies are the reason for the drop on wall street today....then what other people are saying, that wall street OWNS our politicians INCLUDING obama, must NOT be true.....otherwise his election would not have driven the stock market down, as you implied willow.

I don't know squat about them owning politicians, I strictly see it as them trying to protect their assets. They evidently believe the brockman when he tells them they will be taxed senselessly. Self preservation is a strong motivator.

I don't know what it means to you. What it means to me is they are moving their money before the brockguy taxes them to death.

They've been moving their money offshore for the last twenty years, WT, but your basic point does have some validity.

so I was asking what's plan B?

TARIFFS. That'd be my solution.

Go ahead, move you investments offshore, but don't expect to sell your goods back to America.

does he have one? When there are not enough rich people to buy you people off? class warfare sucks.

It sure does. It has sucked since 1945, dear.

What do you think FREE TRADE really is?

the employement numbers are being given teh credit for todays fall in the market.

The dow surged yesterday which is unusual on an election day.

It was pretty well understood Obama would win.

They've been moving their money offshore for the last twenty years, WT, but your basic point does have some validity.

TARIFFS. That'd be my solution.

Go ahead, move you investments offshore, but don't expect to sell your goods back to America.

It sure does. It has sucked since 1945, dear.

What do you think FREE TRADE really is?

I don't know wasn't that Clinton's baby? Didn't he sign NAFTA into law?

I need no calming down.

He will NOT be bought.

You're in fucking la-la land. You think you can get to the top without selling your soul somewhere along the way in this political system?

You're crazy.

Forum List

Back