OK Obama, you won reelection. Time to close Gitmo

He didn't lie...he was correct in trying to close Gitmo. Gitmo is a symbol of American denial of human rights and torture

What Obama found when he became president is that Republicans had poisoned the well. They had created a class of non-citizens who had their rights violated. It is tough to go to court with evidence obtained through torture or evidence from anonymous sources

The first thing Republicans did when Obama was elected was stir up the propaganda that Obama was going to house terrorists in your backyard. Congress quickly passed legislation preventing Gitmo prisoners from entering the US

So, what do we do?

Continue to imprison "enemies" without any evidence and without a right to respond to charges? Is that what America is about?

What torture has taken place at Gitmo?

How do you know they have been imprisoned "without any evidence"? You have access to all the evidence for every prisoner on Gitmo?

The only "propaganda" being thrown around is by liberals like you who repeat claims with nothing to back them up, like Gitmo is torturing prisoners who are there with "no evidence".

Our soldiers don't have to read them their rights when they're captured.
We also don't have to use our court system for trials.

How many that have been freed have gone back to their terrorist organizations and killed others?

He didn't lie...he was correct in trying to close Gitmo. Gitmo is a symbol of American denial of human rights and torture

What Obama found when he became president is that Republicans had poisoned the well. They had created a class of non-citizens who had their rights violated. It is tough to go to court with evidence obtained through torture or evidence from anonymous sources

The first thing Republicans did when Obama was elected was stir up the propaganda that Obama was going to house terrorists in your backyard. Congress quickly passed legislation preventing Gitmo prisoners from entering the US

So, what do we do?

Continue to imprison "enemies" without any evidence and without a right to respond to charges? Is that what America is about?

What torture has taken place at Gitmo?

How do you know they have been imprisoned "without any evidence"? You have access to all the evidence for every prisoner on Gitmo?

The only "propaganda" being thrown around is by liberals like you who repeat claims with nothing to back them up, like Gitmo is torturing prisoners who are there with "no evidence".

Waterboarding, restrictive positions, temperature shock, sleep depravation....Ask the International Red Cross

Until evidence of your guilt is presented, you are being held without evidence. That is the American system of justice. "We have evidence, but we can't show it to you" is not evidence

I'm certain each and every one of you wishing GITMO closed wants the detainees housed in a facility in your own home town - right?

I'm certain each and every one of you wishing GITMO closed wants the detainees housed in a facility in your own home town - right?

I am willing to take every terrorist who came from my home town back if they are not convicted

They have proven it, that's why they are there in the first place.

Doesn't surprise me though that you libs would love to see these terrorists get lawyers and show trials.

That is not the way we do things in this country. At least it is the way it used to be. If you have proof they are terrorists prove it in a court of law

No proof.....let them go

Want to elaborate on the Japanese internment camps during WWII? hmmm?

Why would you think that any of them are 'innocent'?

Our country is built on the premise you are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. If the government thinks them guilty, provide your evidence or set them free

That is the way the United States used to operate

That's the court of law pertaining to our own citizens in domestic law, not for foreign terrorists in a war.

That small phrase "beyond a reasonable doubt" should not apply to such terrorists. Evidence to keep them locked up shouldn't have to be as concrete as that. You can't ask soldiers catching these asswipes to be forensic police at the same time on a battlefield.

There are many many problems I personally have with this so called "war on terror" but I'll focus just on this for a moment. It is one thing to not ask the soldiers to be forensic police on a battlefield, a battlefield they shouldn't be on in the first place in my opinion, but it is another thing entirely to catch someone and then hold them indefinitely without formal charge or scheduled fair trial. If you want to keep someone locked up then the reason SHOULD be concrete and they should be formally sentenced based on that evidence of a crime committed. Now whether or not you consider fighting against this country or another country is a crime is a different debate, but at the end of the day Gitmo and the practices that are going on there are inhumane and are an embarrassment to the values and morals that this country claims it has.

Doesn't surprise me though that you libs would love to see these terrorists get lawyers and show trials.

That is not the way we do things in this country. At least it is the way it used to be. If you have proof they are terrorists prove it in a court of law

No proof.....let them go

It may have been better to just let these immigrant families be slaughtered by their neighbors. After all, we weren't nearly so immigrant friendly in those days and took the attack on Pearl Harbor much differently than the attack on 911.

How many that have been freed have gone back to their terrorist organizations and killed others?

Your son is in the Army

If captured would you like him to be tortured for information? Would you like him held for ten years with no hope of ever being released?

No proof.....let them go

The US admitted we were wrong and paid restitution

Your son is in the Army

If captured would you like him to be tortured for information? Would you like him held for ten years with no hope of ever being released?

If my son was working for murderers then I'd want someone to put a bullet through his brain.

Terrorists by definition are criminals. Criminals get lawyers. Why would you fear open trials?

Get them lawyers. Saddam's lawyer did a great job

Forum List

Back