OK, Let's Have a Serious Discussion About Race in America

You start.
It's a terrible tragedy that's moved passed the point of no return. We have many other very important issues facing us at this time, and racial issues compound what's already on our plates. But, we've created the monster, and now we are being forced to deal with it. While it's true that many problems associated with race differences and racism, have been self-inflicted by the same race that's making all the noise, all of us have contributed in some ways to the racial tensions that have made headlines all across this nation. If we take the time to examine issues concerning education, employment, poverty, homelessness, crime, and community blight, we can find blame on both sides of the racial fence. In other words, blacks have contributed as well as everyone else.

I've said many time in the past, generally speaking, blacks have used the color of their skin as a crutch and excuse for every hardship they've faced. It's always "whitey" that is at the root of all black problems. This is far from true, although some "whites" will forever be bigots and race hypocrites. Actually, and in reality, blacks have been give the advantage in many areas of society. We've given them advantages in the work place, in education, in government, and at times, in our legal system.

Racism will be with us as long as there are racial differences, different skin colors, different nationalities, and different social conditioning. We'll always have those that consider themselves superior, and of a higher order of the human race. We usually accept the flow of society concerning the separation of race, especially when we feel like there are distinct and real differences that make one superior to the other. We've come a long way since the days of MLK and the civil rights marches. But, in reality, have we?

You start.
It's a terrible tragedy that's moved passed the point of no return. We have many other very important issues facing us at this time, and racial issues compound what's already on our plates. But, we've created the monster, and now we are being forced to deal with it. While it's true that many problems associated with race differences and racism, have been self-inflicted by the same race that's making all the noise, all of us have contributed in some ways to the racial tensions that have made headlines all across this nation. If we take the time to examine issues concerning education, employment, poverty, homelessness, crime, and community blight, we can find blame on both sides of the racial fence. In other words, blacks have contributed as well as everyone else.

I've said many time in the past, generally speaking, blacks have used the color of their skin as a crutch and excuse for every hardship they've faced. It's always "whitey" that is at the root of all black problems. This is far from true, although some "whites" will forever be bigots and race hypocrites. Actually, and in reality, blacks have been give the advantage in many areas of society. We've given them advantages in the work place, in education, in government, and at times, in our legal system.

Racism will be with us as long as there are racial differences, different skin colors, different nationalities, and different social conditioning. We'll always have those that consider themselves superior, and of a higher order of the human race. We usually accept the flow of society concerning the separation of race, especially when we feel like there are distinct and real differences that make one superior to the other. We've come a long way since the days of MLK and the civil rights marches. But, in reality, have we?

And nothing else needs be said...until the next Ferguson or Baltimore.

It seems that invidious/institutional racism is not as much of a problem for foreign-born Blacks or for other racial minorities. Why is that? What is it that seems to affect generations of African Americans?

It seems that invidious/institutional racism is not as much of a problem for foreign-born Blacks or for other racial minorities. Why is that? What is it that seems to affect generations of African Americans?
The roots go a lot farther back in time. We've had "Americanized" racism brewing since the 1700's. Foreign immigration, where a salad bowl of mixed races came here in the mid 1800's and continued through the 1940's, assimilated nicely into the industrial era and the building of the west. We saw a mixture of races building railroads, working in shipyards, and opening shops on our main streets. On the other hand, generally speaking, Americanized African heritage blacks worked the fields, took care of estates, and remained primarily loosely defined as slaves or domestic help.

This social class separation became generally accepted as "the way it should be". Today, those same blacks are fighting to change public perceptions, and to gain long sought after respect and acceptance as equals. This relatively short war has been fought in every social and public arena, including politics, various professions, the educational system, and in neighborhoods.

We have races in America, but we also have "A Race" that has been in the forefront of attention since the late 50's and mid 60's. The problem is that blacks want more and more, even though they've been given more and more. You can satisfy an un-satiable people.

The problem isn't black skin color, though most people make certain judgements based on black skin. Because black culture is such a failure, it created a violent criminal society. It isn't a secret that black violence is a very real problem in the US. As long as that persists, the black community will always be a concern for the rest of the nation.

Yes, they will be watched more closely by store owners. Yes, they will have a hard time getting a cab. Yes, people will try to avoid them. No one has these same concerns about asians because, they haven't built a bad reputation. When you don't know someone, sometimes the only thing you have to judge them by is the culture they come from.

Jess Jackson talks about hearing foot steps behind him as he walks down the street at night and being relieved when he turns around and sees a white person. This is true for EVERYONE in the US. If a culture has a bad reputation, all of it's people are judged accordingly, fair or not.

When black people are no longer violent, their reputation will change, but until then this is how it will be. To think otherwise would be naive.

When it comes to “race” and “racism”, I’m a root cause kind of guy.
There can be no denying that most other “races” in America had a leg up on “Black” people since this country was first settled by the huddled masses – this is, of course, due to slavery and the slave trade.

We can’t change the past, but we can accept this reality and take this into consideration when we speak of what is ailing “Black” America in this day and age.

Yes, things have changed for the better even over the few decades I’ve been around, but there are still a lot of major issues that simply must be dealt with head on if we want to continue to improve.

In my view, it all relates to how children are raised.

All children are born, I believe, with an enormous amount of aptitude and potential that must be recognized and encouraged in order to bloom and grow.

If/when a child is born into an impoverished environment where at best he/she becomes a “latchkey” kid due to the fact their parent(s) have to work all the time just to make ends meet, or at worst, born into a single parent welfare environment that is often subject to drug addiction/abuse, their chances of realizing their full potential in this life dwindles away rapidly.

I personally grew up in poverty, and even though I’m considered “white”, I know first-hand the obstacles in that environment that tend to beat down a childs hopes and dreams.

So the question in my mind is just how do we reach those children who through no fault of their own were born into such disadvantaged environments?

Obviously, I don’t have all the answers, but I do wish we could focus on the “root cause” that feeds into our racial strife (i.e. poverty).

Any time anyone of any race feels imprisoned by economic conditions, they will inevitably feel angry and disenfranchised – especially when those who are not suffering from those conditions tend toward looking down upon them and assuming it must be their own fault for being poor.

Take your average person who was born into a decent home environment, and place them in the same dire straits, and I’m certain the trajectory of their lives/careers/experiences/wealth would take a dramatically different course.

Instead of looking down upon, passing judgment upon, and/or demonizing those less fortunate, we should be looking for ways to work with them to solve the problems that might lead their children to stay trapped in poverty.

I know from experience that education is the key that opens doors of opportunity – so in my view, the question is, how do we help children born into poverty develop a passion for education?

There are so many other forces at work in their day to day home life that it becomes difficult if not impossible to reach many of these kids.

One of the biggest obstacles is, of course, peer pressure.

All too often it becomes the cultural “norm” to not care much or at all about school, let alone look at school as the vehicle that will provide a way out of poverty. Instead, and to the contrary, it becomes “popular” to perform poorly and put forth little or no effort at all academically – in fact, kids like me who cared and did well in school were, and I assume still are chastised, bullied and made fun of for putting forth such academic effort.

Never under-estimate the power of peer pressure – especially in an impoverished community where interaction and good orderly direction from good role models and/or parents is all too often lacking (i.e. for many kids in this environment, their “peer” group is for all practical purposes, their family).

If your peers discourage academic pursuits, and you have no one and nowhere to turn other than your “family”, then in 9.9 cases out of 10 you will fall prey to that peer pressure – not realizing that you are essentially giving up on achieving your own full potential in life.

Somehow, we need to figure out a way to make it “cool” for kids in economically challenged areas to pursue academics as if it’s the only way out of the poverty that enslaves them.

The major question is how?

I’m convinced “race” relations will get better if/when we start working together to resolve these root issues instead of aligning with one race or another and then simply hurling blame and insults at the other side.

Unfortunately, most of what I read on this forum seems to be folks doing just that – hurling blame, insults, anger, resentment, fear, etc, etc at the perceived “enemy” and offering little or no help in resolving our outstanding issues.

We can’t even seem to focus on the root problems, let alone start working together to solve them – it’s sad and unfortunate, but I hope and pray that we will come together and work together some day to make things better for future generations.

The problem isn't black skin color, though most people make certain judgements based on black skin. Because black culture is such a failure, it created a violent criminal society. It isn't a secret that black violence is a very real problem in the US. As long as that persists, the black community will always be a concern for the rest of the nation.

Yes, they will be watched more closely by store owners. Yes, they will have a hard time getting a cab. Yes, people will try to avoid them. No one has these same concerns about asians because, they haven't built a bad reputation. When you don't know someone, sometimes the only thing you have to judge them by is the culture they come from.

Or maybe more accurately:
"No one has these same concerns about asians because, they haven't had a bad reputation built for them. When you don't know someone, sometimes the only thing you have to judge them by is the culture attributed to them".

And of course, the power of imagination filling in the blanks.

Which is exactly why some of us work to dispel stereotypes, clichés, myths, fallacies and outright fabrication.

Or maybe more accurately:
"No one has these same concerns about asians because, they haven't had a bad reputation built for them. When you don't know someone, sometimes the only thing you have to judge them by is the culture attributed to them".

And of course, the power of imagination filling in the blanks.

Which is exactly why some of us work to dispel stereotypes, clichés, myths, fallacies and outright fabrication.
Youre ignoring reality. If you cant admit the serious problems caused by black culture, then youre just being dishonest. If Asians had these same problems, they would be treated exactly the same. If your community develops a bad reputation, there will be a price to pay for that.

There can be no denying that most other “races” in America had a leg up on “Black” people since this country was first settled by the huddled masses – this is, of course, due to slavery and the slave trade.

We can’t change the past, but we can accept this reality and take this into consideration when we speak of what is ailing “Black” America in this day and age.

Yes, things have changed for the better even over the few decades I’ve been around, but there are still a lot of major issues that simply must be dealt with head on if we want to continue to improve.

All children are born, I believe, with an enormous amount of aptitude and potential that must be recognized and encouraged in order to bloom and grow.

If/when a child is born into an impoverished environment where at best he/she becomes a “latchkey” kid due to the fact their parent(s) have to work all the time just to make ends meet, or at worst, born into a single parent welfare environment that is often subject to drug addiction/abuse, their chances of realizing their full potential in this life dwindles away rapidly.

I personally grew up in poverty, and even though I’m considered “white”, I know first-hand the obstacles in that environment that tend to beat down a childs hopes and dreams.

So the question in my mind is just how do we reach those children who through no fault of their own were born into such disadvantaged environments?

Obviously, I don’t have all the answers, but I do wish we could focus on the “root cause” that feeds into our racial strife (i.e. poverty).

Any time anyone of any race feels imprisoned by economic conditions, they will inevitably feel angry and disenfranchised – especially when those who are not suffering from those conditions tend toward looking down upon them and assuming it must be their own fault for being poor.

Take your average person who was born into a decent home environment, and place them in the same dire straits, and I’m certain the trajectory of their lives/careers/experiences/wealth would take a dramatically different course.

Instead of looking down upon, passing judgment upon, and/or demonizing those less fortunate, we should be looking for ways to work with them to solve the problems that might lead their children to stay trapped in poverty.

I know from experience that education is the key that opens doors of opportunity – so in my view, the question is, how do we help children born into poverty develop a passion for education?

There are so many other forces at work in their day to day home life that it becomes difficult if not impossible to reach many of these kids.

All too often it becomes the cultural “norm” to not care much or at all about school, let alone look at school as the vehicle that will provide a way out of poverty. Instead, and to the contrary, it becomes “popular” to perform poorly and put forth little or no effort at all academically – in fact, kids like me who cared and did well in school were, and I assume still are chastised, bullied and made fun of for putting forth such academic effort.

Never under-estimate the power of peer pressure – especially in an impoverished community where interaction and good orderly direction from good role models and/or parents is all too often lacking (i.e. for many kids in this environment, their “peer” group is for all practical purposes, their family).

If your peers discourage academic pursuits, and you have no one and nowhere to turn other than your “family”, then in 9.9 cases out of 10 you will fall prey to that peer pressure – not realizing that you are essentially giving up on achieving your own full potential in life.

Somehow, we need to figure out a way to make it “cool” for kids in economically challenged areas to pursue academics as if it’s the only way out of the poverty that enslaves them.

I’m convinced “race” relations will get better if/when we start working together to resolve these root issues instead of aligning with one race or another and then simply hurling blame and insults at the other side.

Unfortunately, most of what I read on this forum seems to be folks doing just that – hurling blame, insults, anger, resentment, fear, etc, etc at the perceived “enemy” and offering little or no help in resolving our outstanding issues.

We can’t even seem to focus on the root problems, let alone start working together to solve them – it’s sad and unfortunate, but I hope and pray that we will come together and work together some day to make things better for future generations.

We have been hearing this for 50 years, and race relations are only getting worse. Got any other ideas?

Jess Jackson talks about hearing foot steps behind him as he walks down the street at night and being relieved when he turns around and sees a white person. This is true for EVERYONE in the US. If a culture has a bad reputation, all of it's people are judged accordingly, fair or not.

When black people are no longer violent, their reputation will change, but until then this is how it will be. To think otherwise would be naive.

You mean BLACK HOODLUMS you Potted Plant

We have been hearing this for 50 years, and race relations are only getting worse. Got any other ideas?

Who gives a shit? Are you going to cry if you find out someone from another race doesn't like you? LOL

"You want to end racism? Stop talking about it."
- Morgan Freeman

Brilliance.

Forum List

Back