OK let's have a little fun...

oldfart

Older than dirt
Nov 5, 2009
Redneck Riviera
Suppose that in trying to work out a deal with the President, Speaker Boehner thinks he is pretty close to a deal but Cantor is threatening to oppose him as Speaker in January, backed by a majority of the Republican caucus. House leadership positions and candidates for Speaker are selected by each party caucus. Boehner refuses to either step aside drop negotiations with Obama. The talks fail and the new Congress assembles in January.

While everyone is watching the rules fight in the Senate, a Republican House member nominates Kantor for Speaker. Another Republican House member loyal to Boehner nominates Boehner. As the pundits go crazy trying to research the House rules for what happens when there are three candidates (Does someone have to get a majority or will a simple plurality do?), the bombshell hits. Pelosi announces that the entire Democratic House caucus has decided to not nominate Pelosi, but to vote for Boehner en masse. A quick head count reveals that there are at least 60 Boehner loyalists on the Republican side of the aisle and therefore Boehner is guaranteed re-election as Speaker.

Then the other shoe drops. Re-elected Speaker Boehner announces that he is proposing not the list of committee chairmen that the Republican causus had annointed, but a slate of 15 Republicans and 6 Democrats that magically shuts out the Tea Party as "Reconciliation Ticket". Again this motion passes. Remember that the Speaker and committee chairmen are actually elected by the entire house and only nominated by a party caucus. The committee assignments chosen by the parties remain generally the same, but when the Democrats are added to the Boehmer loyalists, they have a majority in most committees. Of course they don't see alike on most issues, but they agree on enough to pass the Grand Bargain with the President.

Afterward Pelosi tells the press, "I knew that we would never be able to elect a minority Speaker, and I have always been able to work with my good friend John Boehner, who I like and respect. If the choice was between John and the right-wing nut jobs who were stabbing him in the back for doing the right thing for America, my choice was clear."

The re-elected Speaker had this to say, "I congratulate my good friend Nancy Pelosi on her re-election as Minority Leader and my good friend Tom Cole as Majority Leader. Together this leadership will chart a course for saving America and restoring prosperity."

That afternoon of the first day the President congratulated the new House Leadership and spoke approvingly of the budget bill the House had passed that day and sent to the Senate, still embroiled in a rules debate. Eric Cantor, the new leader of the "True American" caucus of the Republican party proposed a series of bills on the House floor to outlaw abortion and same-sex marriage, reduce the debt ceiling, double defense spending, and abolish Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, the Federal Reserve, and eight cabinet departments and five federal agencies including the IRS, and to militarize the Mexican border. He also wanted to revert to the gold standard.

Sun sets on a Washington trying to figure out what "business as usual" means and lobbyists are scurrying to figure out who to try to bribe in the new session.

Not much fun really. You are worried about mythical in-fighting in the republican party the once great Nation quietly slips to the status of a 3rd world country.

It was either that or talk up all the good things Obama was going to do for America

you on the right wanted us to default remember

So, Because a handful on the right said we should default you think it is ok to claim everyone on the right did?

Cool, But don't let me catch you bitching the next time some left wing idiots says something, and we try and say you all think it.

Asshole.

Forum List

Back