Ok, lefties, now that obama remains in office.....

Discussion in 'Politics' started by PredFan, Nov 8, 2012.

1. PredFan

PredFan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,655
    Do you really think that raising taxes on people who make $250 plus will reduce the deficit?

Let's be honest and stop saying that obama wants to tax "millionaires and billionaires" or "The Super Rich". $250K/years is not a million or a billion or "super". You won so stop the bull shit ok?

You people realize that the percentage of the US that makes over 250k is pretty small right? You realize that our yearly deficit is insanely huge right?

So now that you won, what IS the plan? We are headed for fiscal disaster and obama has no plan? At least none other than a job-killing tax increase.

Or do you just not care? You won and that's all that matters?

2. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    You realize that having those high taxes kick in at $250,000 means that it will be impossible to expand beyond that magic number so that there is no way a small business could ever become a big business again.

3. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,082
    To most folks, 250K would be a lot of money. If I made that amount, I could pay off my mortgage, my credit cards, and STILL have 100K to spare.

And, yes, raising taxes on them WOULD reduce the deficit.

We are going to have to cut government spending, we are going to have to raise taxes. Period.

You ran on the "I need more money for my Dressage Pony" platform and you lost. Deal with it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,676
    It's never just been about tax increases. It's the Republicans that have had the one-track mind on that. It's a matter of appropriate budget cuts to be hammered out by both sides, reform of the tax code to eliminate some of the more egregious deductions and a modest increase in rates on the highest earners. The problem has been Republican intransigence and, if the deficit continues to rise, they have no one but themselves to blame. Fiscal matters start in the House Constitutionally and they control it. They may consider it a "trump" card, but it's really a "ball's in your court" situation. The American people are watching and will be deciding who's really to blame in two years. Don't waste the time with posturing. DO SOMETHING.

5. Black_Label

Black_Label Registered Democrat

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +514
    Restoring the tax rates to the wildly successful Clinton plan is just common sense.

You go with what works. Pay your fair share has proven to be a massive success, where right wing "give everything to the rich" a massive disaster.

6. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,413
    Now you people are all upset that the President might actually get some minor tax reform passed.

I am a high middle class earner. Just barely crack 100K a year. Nobody making above 250K should pay a smaller percentage of their income in taxes than I do. Definately not if they are making above 1 million. And all income should be taxed at that rate. Earned and unearned.

7. Nosmo King

Nosmo King Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,328
    Raising taxes on those who make $250,000 and more won't decrease the deficit by in large any more than eliminating the grants for the arts and PBS. Raising taxes on those making $250,000 won't reduce their freedoms any more than eliminating Pell Grants for low income college students.

But a combination of spending cuts which do not eliminate opportunity for the poorest and tax hikes on those who have had every opportunity in American society will reduce the deficit.

What Conservatives need to realize is we can never reduce the deficit by spending cuts alone. We had a surplus before the Bush tax cuts went into effect. Before we fought two wars without raising taxes, yet financed those wars by increasing our foreign debt. Why should the few get the gravy while the many get the axe?

8. TNHarley

TNHarley Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,909
    Why dont we quit with that sharing the wealth BS and tax everyone the same? Cut out the handouts(not all of them. Some people need it). We, as a country, CANNOT afford it!

9. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Yes.

Next question.

10. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,046
    You forget about the peace dividend, and the incipent dot com boom, which would have raised the revenues of the government even at the pre clinton tax rates. Silly you.