Ok, I've had it with Explorer

MaggieMae

Reality bits
Apr 3, 2009
Remind me again what I can expect if I download Foxfire and get rid of IE? Am I looking forward to several days of getting used to a completely new way of navigating, etc? That's doable, but I just don't like dramatic format changes.

Four times just this morning, I got dumped off the Internet by Explorers's little message "Sorry...but we've encountered an error and must close." Of course it always happens right after I've just typed something more than one paragraph.

So everyone recommends Foxfire. What are the advantages? Disadvantages?

Remind me again what I can expect if I download Foxfire and get rid of IE? Am I looking forward to several days of getting used to a completely new way of navigating, etc? That's doable, but I just don't like dramatic format changes.

Four times just this morning, I got dumped off the Internet by Explorers's little message "Sorry...but we've encountered an error and must close." Of course it always happens right after I've just typed something more than one paragraph.

I love Firefox. Espesciesally thu spool chick.

Firefox is faster, has many add-ons from ones that will dress up your pages with 'skins' (Personas), ones that will dress up your drop down tabs (Any Color) to ones that will block all advertising (Ad Block Plus), spell check as you type, permanent tabs you can set at the top of your page (not the webpage tabs) where you can put your favs and just one click to them, many, many more that I've never explored and oh, did I mention it was faster? We used IE forever and the college kid switched to FF last year after kids at school recommended it. We switched and have never looked back. 4 out of 5 frustrated IE users recommend it. You can always uninstall it if you hate it, but you won't want to.

Last edited:

First off, you'll be shocked to see it's actually spelled "Firefox."

Secondly, you'll find yourself in the world of 21st Century web browsing.

Mozilla.org - Home of the Mozilla Project to get it. You will find it is far more stable and secure, better supported, and has many, many nice toys for it such as AdBlock Plus for starters.

:lol: See that? I'm already off to a bad start!

Mozilla.org - Home of the Mozilla Project to get it. You will find it is far more stable and secure, better supported, and has many, many nice toys for it such as AdBlock Plus for starters.

Thanks for the link. I know you or KK gave me the link before, but I lost it somewhere along the line. I'll do it my next free morning--Thursday.

I guess I'll get used to what "spools" and "personas" are. Frankly, that's usually my problem downloading "upgrades" in that the programmers by now assume we ALL are pros, including knowing all the various lingo.

Stay tuned. I'm sure I'll have questions, which you may or may not have the patience to answer.

Firefox will be an easy crossover from IE. If you are using it as a simple browsing tool it will be even easier to use. Tons of add on features, most of which you will never use but some very important ones that will make your browsing experience much safer and better. I switched to Firefox a little over 3 years ago and never looked back, I've played with some of the others but always end up back with Firefox. Since I maintain the computers at home I switched my wifes' computer to Firefox and never told her, the only question she had a couple of days later was "did Internet Explorer do a better upgrade and change it's name?"

Firefox will be an easy crossover from IE. If you are using it as a simple browsing tool it will be even easier to use. Tons of add on features, most of which you will never use but some very important ones that will make your browsing experience much safer and better. I switched to Firefox a little over 3 years ago and never looked back, I've played with some of the others but always end up back with Firefox. Since I maintain the computers at home I switched my wifes' computer to Firefox and never told her, the only question she had a couple of days later was "did Internet Explorer do a better upgrade and change it's name?"

Your wife's question sounds like what I would ask. Glad to know there are others just as uninterested as me in how all this stuff actually works. All I know is that I just want it to.

:lol: See that? I'm already off to a bad start!

Thanks for the link. I know you or KK gave me the link before, but I lost it somewhere along the line. I'll do it my next free morning--Thursday.

I guess I'll get used to what "spools" and "personas" are. Frankly, that's usually my problem downloading "upgrades" in that the programmers by now assume we ALL are pros, including knowing all the various lingo.

Stay tuned. I'm sure I'll have questions, which you may or may not have the patience to answer.
FF updates are easy, you just tell it yes or no on the updates and it does the rest. Downloading it and installing it is a snap as well.

FF is what I have been using since Netscape navigator years back. IE is only on the PC because some sites etc, won't operate or have limited access without it. I never liked the ease at which one's computer could be exploited using IE and their Active X etc and they seemed to always have major security issues.
At any rate, Firefox is easy to update and seems to me so far to be working for me just fine.
IE is opened ONLY on rare occasions.

Firefox + Lazarus =:)

FF is what I have been using since Netscape navigator years back. IE is only on the PC because some sites etc, won't operate or have limited access without it. I never liked the ease at which one's computer could be exploited using IE and their Active X etc and they seemed to always have major security issues.
At any rate, Firefox is easy to update and seems to me so far to be working for me just fine.
IE is opened ONLY on rare occasions.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

All I know is ever since I switched to Firefox I've been able to rid my hatred of the internet and find a renewed respect for it.

Get Firefox, and get these few add-ons:

Ad Block Plus
WOT
FoxyProxy

I'm sure there's tons of other ones that are good, but those are the only ones I've found that I need. I don't do all that fancy shmancy stuff like watch TV online, or whatever else all these Firefox toys allows you to do. I only care about making my browsing easier, faster, and safer.

Don't forget to set your Internet Explorer browser to "Work Offline" too.

Last edited:
Explorer is just to darn dangerous. It is like doing unprotected sex at an STD clinic. I never use it on my windows machines. It isn't even available anymore on my macs.

Forum List

Back