OK, it is rare that I will cheer restrictions on 1st Amendment rights, but...

I already started a thread about how stupid this is, I guess you missed it. To some it up, only totalitarians, or people who think totalitarians have a point, ever support laws to restrict anyone's freedom, because it always comes back to bite them in the ass.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/238112-congress-delivers-blow-to-mai-lai-survivors.html

Strongly suspect it will not be upheld by the supreme court, and it shouldn't be. Westboro Baptist Church is offensive, but living a life free of being offended is not a right.

Why? They're not denying them their right to protest, they're simply creating reasonable conditions under which they can protest to promote public safety.

Namely, their own safety.

I'm not really all that concerned about their safety. They have the right to express their opnions no matter what that opinion might be. I expect the SC will overturn it and they should.

The court has long upheld that obscene speech can be limited.

Its hard to imagine how a reasonable person wouldn't view this form of speech as obscene.

I wouldnt call what they say obscene...mostly...maybe the God hates Fags stuff. But the God hates YOU stuff...not obscene just a really really messed up opinion.

In just wish theyd find a better forum to express that opinion...

like Foo Fighters concerts! ( God I love the Foo! )

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWSeDYTHtiQ]Foo Fighters sing to Westboro in counter-protest - YouTube[/ame]

and ComicCon!

Super Heroes vs. the Westboro Baptist Church - ComicsAlliance | Comic book culture, news, humor, commentary, and reviews

img0989-1279832630.jpg

Yup....it really pisses me off when they say God hates Fags....and especially when they say God wants soldiers to die!

I'm all for free speech....but there is a limit to what someone should get away with. When it spews hate like they do, it has to be stopped. I'm really glad congress passed this....and i can't imagine Obama not signing it!

When it comes to speech, there is not a limit to what someone should be able to get away with.

Strongly suspect it will not be upheld by the supreme court, and it shouldn't be. Westboro Baptist Church is offensive, but living a life free of being offended is not a right.

Why? They're not denying them their right to protest, they're simply creating reasonable conditions under which they can protest to promote public safety.

Namely, their own safety.

I'm not really all that concerned about their safety. They have the right to express their opnions no matter what that opinion might be. I expect the SC will overturn it and they should.

Actually, no one does. I mean, about 99% of speech is fine and covered under the First Amendment, but there have been many cases throughout our country's history of the First Amendment being abridged or restricted. Someone already mentioned "Fire" in the crowded theater, for example.

Bottom line is that you either have the right to free speech or you don't
There is no middle ground. The is no such thing as limited freedom of speech.

sure there is, yell fire in a theatre when there is no fire and see where that gets you;)

oops sorry for mentioning it again....

Why?

They upheld hate speech laws, why would they care about stopping another restriction on free speech?

What "hate speech laws"?

And if their opinions concern the displaying of the sexual act to minors?

And to express this opinion, they place a massive explicit billboard covered with images of a "donkey show" next to an elementary school playground?

I already started a thread about how stupid this is, I guess you missed it. To some it up, only totalitarians, or people who think totalitarians have a point, ever support laws to restrict anyone's freedom, because it always comes back to bite them in the ass.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/politics/238112-congress-delivers-blow-to-mai-lai-survivors.html

I wonder if they also protest at the funerals of the perpetrators of this much larger massacre.
-------
Massacre at Hue

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Huế Massacre (Vietnamese: Thảm sát tại Huế Tết Mậu Thân or Vietnamese: thảm sát Tết Mậu Thân ở Huế) is the name given to the summary executions and mass killings perpetrated by the Viet Cong and North Vietnamese Army during their capture, occupation and later withdrawal from the city of Huế during the Tet Offensive, considered one of the longest and bloodiest battles of the Vietnam War.

During the months and years that followed the Battle of Huế, which began on January 31, 1968, and lasted a total of 28 days, dozens of mass graves were discovered in and around Huế. The estimated death toll was between 2,800 to 6,000 civilians and prisoners of war were buried.[1] Victims were found bound, tortured, and sometimes apparently buried alive.

A number of U.S. and South Vietnamese authorities as well a number of journalists who investigated the events took the discoveries, along with other evidence, as proof that a large-scale atrocity had been carried out in and around Huế during its four-week occupation. The killings were perceived as part of a large-scale purge of a whole social stratum, including anyone friendly to American forces in the region.

New Topics

Forum List

Back