Ok, if it's not heredity...

I don't understand why many people can't seem to acknowledge that mental processes ARE physical. Just because mental processing is not easily observed, like say, running and jumping, doesn't mean it isn't physical. Ever see any documentaries on the workings of the brain? Sure there is a lot we don't understand, but one thing we have learned is that the brain functions via the physical transmission of electrochemical signals.

Now, nobody in their right mind would suggest that with enough training, you can turn an unathletic nerd into even a decent athlete, let alone an elite athlete. Yet seemingly intelligent people do apparently think that with enough training, you can turn the intellectually challenged into the intellectually gifted.

Sorry folks, but it's just not possible.

Are you still talking about race, here?

The brain can be exercised, just like physical exercise can put you in better shape physically, so too can mental exercise put you in better shape mentally. Every individual has a unique capacity to their mental and physical abilities and whatever differences that have been observed and recorded over history as it relates to race is nothing but a correlation and not proof of causation at all.

Last edited:
I don't understand why many people can't seem to acknowledge that mental processes ARE physical. Just because mental processing is not easily observed, like say, running and jumping, doesn't mean it isn't physical. Ever see any documentaries on the workings of the brain? Sure there is a lot we don't understand, but one thing we have learned is that the brain functions via the physical transmission of electrochemical signals.

Now, nobody in their right mind would suggest that with enough training, you can turn an unathletic nerd into even a decent athlete, let alone an elite athlete. Yet seemingly intelligent people do apparently think that with enough training, you can turn the intellectually challenged into the intellectually gifted.

Certainly you can turn a nerd into someone that is more physically able. But more importantly you can turn a gifted athlete into a slug by not letting them use their abilities...and I think that is what most of us are saying about the majority of people. The intelligence of the general population is pretty much the same with the exception of a genius here and a retard there. By limiting the optimal development of intelligence we sometimes prevent people from using their brains to their full potential.

Are you till talking about race, here?

The brain can be exercised, just like physical exercise can put you in better shape physically, so too can mental exercise put you in better shape mentally. Every individual has a unique capacity to their mental and physical abilities and whatever differences that have been observed and recorded over history as it relates to race is nothing but a correlation and not proof of causation at all.

Yes, it can be exercised. But like I said, no amount of exercise and training could turn me into an NFL running back. And no amount of mental exercise is going to turn an idiot into a genius. But just to be clear, I don't mean to imply in any way that exercise is pointless. As for observed differences between different breeds of people, you are correct. There is an observed statistically significant difference, and yes, that never "proves" causation. But it certainly doesn't disprove it either.

Last edited:
Ravi, have YOU ever been to WV? Have you ever been to England?

I get so sick of silver spoon rich shits saying bigoted crap about people they would never stoop to meet.

Certainly you can turn a nerd into someone that is more physically able. But more importantly you can turn a gifted athlete into a slug by not letting them use their abilities...and I think that is what most of us are saying about the majority of people. The intelligence of the general population is pretty much the same with the exception of a genius here and a retard there. By limiting the optimal development of intelligence we sometimes prevent people from using their brains to their full potential.

So what are you suggesting then? That we focus education more on the basics and less on the touchy feely things like tolerance? :eusa_whistle:

So what are you suggesting then? That we focus education more on the basics and less on the touchy feely things like tolerance? :eusa_whistle:
Why not both...and the arts, because creativity is also good for the brain. Why do you hate touchy feely?

Why not both...and the arts, because creativity is also good for the brain. Why do you hate touchy feely?

I don't.

Just trying to understand your position better.

Yes, it can be exercised. But like I said, no amount of exercise and training could turn me into an NFL running back. And no amount of mental exercise is going to turn an idiot into a genius. But just to be clear, I don't mean to imply in any way that exercise is pointless. As for observed differences between different breeds of people, you are correct. There is an observed statitically significant difference, and yes, that never "proves" causation. But it certainly doesn't disprove it either.

At best I would say race a circumstantial factor. The fact that no amount of exercise and training could make you an NFL running back speaks to your personal limited capacity, so we agree that everyone has their individual limits and it works the same way mentally. Stupid people need to be nurtured to reach their full potential just like anybody else.

I don't.

Just trying to understand your position better.
I'm not really sure what you consider teaching tolerance, but I think optimally it would be better for the entire country to break up slums and integrate poor people into middle class neighborhoods...but I have absolutely no idea how that could be accomplished.

At best I would say race a circumstantial factor...

You can say whatever you like, but it doesn't make it true. No matter how badly you WANT it to be true.

You know, statistics show that African Americans make up much greater percentage of the NBA than they do the general population. But this is merely a correlation, it doesn't prove causation. At best, I would say race is merely a circumstantial factor. :doubt:

Okay...but usually it is overbreeding that causes problems because you end up shrinking the gene pool. Ever been to West Virginia? :lol:

Africa, India and China come to mind. For the US, Hispanics will account for 44 percent of the growth in the Nation's population:

Population Projections - States by Age, Sex, Race, and Hispanic Origin: 1995 to 2025 (PPL47)
What are you trying to say?

I'm providing data for what you said in your post. What you do with it is up to you.

Africa, India and China come to mind. For the US, Hispanics will account for 44 percent of the growth in the Nation's population:

Population Projections - States by Age, Sex, Race, and Hispanic Origin: 1995 to 2025 (PPL47)

I'm providing data for what you said in your post. What you do with it is up to you.
Still not getting your point. Are you saying Africans, Indians, and the Chinese have all shrunken their gene pool detrimentally? If so, what does that have to do with Hispanic population projections?

Yes, it can be exercised. But like I said, no amount of exercise and training could turn me into an NFL running back. And no amount of mental exercise is going to turn an idiot into a genius. But just to be clear, I don't mean to imply in any way that exercise is pointless. As for observed differences between different breeds of people, you are correct. There is an observed statitically significant difference, and yes, that never "proves" causation. But it certainly doesn't disprove it either.

At best I would say race a circumstantial factor. The fact that no amount of exercise and training could make you an NFL running back speaks to your personal limited capacity, so we agree that everyone has their individual limits and it works the same way mentally. Stupid people need to be nurtured to reach their full potential just like anybody else.

Very good point. The only thing I would add is that the big push to equalize everyone should be stopped immediately. Rights, yes. Intelligence, no. As an example, when I attended Central High School (Little Rock Central High School National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)) so many years ago, I always ended up in the advanced classes. There has been a major push to put everyone in the same classes. It's become so bad that my children now go to private schools. Everyone is not created equally as far as intelligence goes and shouldn't be treated that way in school.

Still not getting your point. Are you saying Africans, Indians, and the Chinese have all shrunken their gene pool detrimentally? If so, what does that have to do with Hispanic population projections?

You said, "usually it is overbreeding that causes problems because you end up shrinking the gene pool." That's what is happening in parts of Africa, India, China and in parts of the US. You already mentioned West Virgina in the United States. The data says that is also happening in the Hispanic community.

You said, "usually it is overbreeding that causes problems because you end up shrinking the gene pool." That's what is happening in parts of Africa, India, China and in parts of the US. You already mentioned West Virgina in the United States. The data says that is also happening in the Hispanic community.
I don't have time to read the entire article. Please quote the portion that says Hispanics are engaging in overbreeding. I'm not talking about simply having babies, btw, I'm talking about people only breeding with their near relatives.

Forum List

Back