Ok, if it's not heredity...

Amanda

Calm as a Hindu cow
Nov 28, 2008
Let's assume for a moment that despite SOOOO many obvious physical differences between races that race has nothing to do with anything...

Then why DO we see differences in things like standardized testing, prison population, etc?

Let's assume for a moment that despite SOOOO many obvious physical differences between races that race has nothing to do with anything...

Then why DO we see differences in things like standardized testing, prison population, etc?

I don't know, why do you think there is a higher number of natives in Canadian prisons? Why are Asians so smart? Is it an genetic or cultural 'thing'?

I don't know, why do you think there is a higher number of natives in Canadian prisons? Why are Asians so smart? Is it an genetic or cultural 'thing'?

soy sauce--I swear it's the soy sauce.

ooops--my bad---soy makes you a homo---never mind.

Last edited:
Differences in education, which stem from differences in wealth, which stem from a multitude of other causes. The average Hispanic person may be poorer than the average white person, for example, because many Hispanic people are relatively recent immigrants from poor countries. The average black person may be poorer because of centuries of racism. Even after the slaves were emancipated and blacks were given more political rights, they were victims of racially motivated de facto segregation that forced those who lived in urban areas into poor ghettos. Living in an impoverished area tends to lead to a lower value for education, which, in turn, leads to low educational achievement and more poverty. It's a vicious cycle that can be incredibly difficult to escape.

Poverty breeds crime, poor educational performance, and more poverty.

Differences? Oh no!

An observation is not proof of causation. Malnourished children will do poorly on tests. Children of poverty tend to end up in prison. Therefore, black people are nothing but stupid criminals? Just look at them!

:eusa_hand: I don't think so.

It's not that race has nothing to do with anything, it just is what it is. It's probably more like the entire human race needs to overcome the reality of it's racial history and proceed to record some new observations. :cool:

I'm sure William joyce can explain it to you.

I'm sure William joyce can explain it to you.

That's a pretty poor response Ang, I'm disappointed that you'd take that route.

Should "The Bell Curve" be banned?

If it makes anyone feel bad about themselves, then yes, we can't have anyone feeling inferior or even average, that wouldn't feel good.

Differences? Oh no!

An observation is not proof of causation. Malnourished children will do poorly on tests. Children of poverty tend to end up in prison. Therefore, black people are nothing but stupid criminals? Just look at them!

It's not that race has nothing to do with anything, it just is what it is. It's probably more like the entire human race needs to overcome the reality of it's racial history and proceed to record some new observations. :cool:

I can appreciate that, but still it makes me wonder where your pretty moderate view is in some of the other threads where libs are calling cons racist. As a conservative I want everyone to have an equal chance to achieve whatever they can achieve on their own merit and I get called a racist for being against state sponsored racism like affirmative action.

Differences? Oh no!

I can appreciate that, but still it makes me wonder where your pretty moderate view is in some of the other threads where libs are calling cons racist. As a conservative I want everyone to have an equal chance to achieve whatever they can achieve on their own merit and I get called a racist for being against state sponsored racism like affirmative action.

Amanda---there are stupid people here. :lol:

Differences in education, which stem from differences in wealth, which stem from a multitude of other causes. The average Hispanic person may be poorer than the average white person, for example, because many Hispanic people are relatively recent immigrants from poor countries. The average black person may be poorer because of centuries of racism. Even after the slaves were emancipated and blacks were given more political rights, they were victims of racially motivated de facto segregation that forced those who lived in urban areas into poor ghettos. Living in an impoverished area tends to lead to a lower value for education, which, in turn, leads to low educational achievement and more poverty. It's a vicious cycle that can be incredibly difficult to escape.

Hmmm... so when do we get to stop trying to pay for the sins of the past and move on? Are we just looking for the right social program and haven't found it yet?

I ask this because I see people in my very poor neighborhood that drive around in their Mercedes Benzs with 22" wheels and mouth full of gold and it kinda seems like money isn't exactly the problem. it seems more like it's a subculture that has embraced a set of values that don't lead to living truly successful lives... unless you count dying young or going to prison as success.

I would have said the exact same thing, though less eloquently.

For the purpose of this thread we can NOT suggest it is genetic, that premise is racist and we are NOT racist.

soy sauce--I swear it's the soy sauce.

ooops--my bad---soy makes you a homo---never mind.

Hush you.

I would have said the exact same thing, though less eloquently.

Well then I'll say the same thing I said...

Hmmm... so when do we get to stop trying to pay for the sins of the past and move on? Are we just looking for the right social program and haven't found it yet?

I ask this because I see people in my very poor neighborhood that drive around in their Mercedes Benzs with 22" wheels and mouth full of gold and it kinda seems like money isn't exactly the problem. it seems more like it's a subculture that has embraced a set of values that don't lead to living truly successful lives... unless you count dying young or going to prison as success.

I'm sure that those people driving around in Mercedes Benzs with mouthfuls of gold are not well educated executives.

Who's paying for sins?

And who is advocating paying for sins?

Not me...unless paying for sins is investing in education.

I think education is the key...the only key...to everything.

And I truly don't think that education is an expensive investment...and of all investments we could make, it has the best return.

Forum List

Back