OK heres the deal

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mnbasketball, Mar 17, 2011.

1. mnbasketball

mnbasketball Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Right now we are in hard times and we are spending a lot of money trying to get things back to a manageable level where people have a chance to live a normal life.

The big question to me is what is the most important thing that needs to be done and how should we move towards that goal.

Fighting over little things or should we be putting our total sight on putting America back to work. Should we start doing things that will focus the private sector to create jobs by working on things we all understand that we need at this very moment. Good roads, new bridges, new electrical grids, new power plants.

Sure it is going to take public money, everything we do for the country cost public money, from running the govt to oversight, to building infrastructure to having a military.

Do people really believe that refraining from doing things as a govt because of it's cost is a bad thing, and who would do these things if not the govt .
    Should we privatize the military and then think they will act in the peoples best interest? We all need roads and bridges, but should we go back to charging people a toll? The electrical system needs improvement, but if that cost is just added onto the cost of energy it most likely would force many business and citizens to not be able to afford what it would cost. Do we need to privatize the schools and turn the students over to local companies to determine what they are taught or forced to learn?

What is more important right NOW? what would you do?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  2. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    Massively reduce government spending on all levels, stop printing money, buying up private debt and protecting corporate and personal failure so the economy can recover.

[/thread]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. mnbasketball

mnbasketball Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37
    That is your answer to creating jobs? How long is this going to take? Do you think the govt should be in charge of proving the things we need as a society or should we just leave it up to private industry to say there is a need and they spend their money on it?
    How would this work?

What would you cut? and what would be the outcome of these cuts on the population in the short term?

4. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    What would I do?

I would work to becoming fiscally responsible. That means increasing taxes and decreasing unnecessary spending. I would tighten my belt and try to make the hard choices.

My personal belief is that the first responsibility of government is to protect the citizens of the nation. Included in that is assisting the poor and needy with the basic necessities of life and to get back to work. I would not cut out the social programs that work to this goal, but I would cut out the waste associated with those programs. I would cut the defense budget to a point where we can still more than adequately defend ourselves, yet I would not continue spending for things we want just because they are cool to have. I would consolidate bases and other things as well. I would stop foreign aid immediately. When we can sustain our own, then I would pick up the foreign aid again. On top of that, I would review each and every project currently going on. If it was not absolutely necessary to the goals of this nation, I would eliminate funding immediately. Meaning no more funding for museums, the arts or whatever pork is still in the budget until further notice.

That is where I would start. I realize there are some who would bitch and moan about some of those items, but we are on the verge of a major crisis. We have to tighten our belt and become fiscally responsible or our children's children won't have Uncle Sam to take care of them.

Immie

PS I suppose that is why I will never be elected to any political office. /shrug

5. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    When last tried in 1920, it took 12 months to turn the economy from a bust to a boom. They slashed 50% of all government spending under the Harding/Coolidge administration. Created a boom that lasted till the flaws in the stock market were found a decade later. Fixed all the economic damage done under Wilson in 24 months.

6. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    If there isn't an enumerated power, it needs to go.

Social Security
    All health plans
    Every cabinet department created after 1951 and most of their associated agencies including most of the Dept of the Interior and Dept of Education.

Let the states worry about those things as they see fit. THAT is at least constitutional.

7. Jackson

Jackson Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,699
    I would ask persons that have very comfortable retir3ements to forgo social security payments. If people could pay for Medicare or just carry insurance in their twilight years, do not use Mediicare.

WE HAVE TO GET TO THE POINT THE JOBS WOULD BE AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE THAT CAN WORK. aND EXPECT PEOPLE WHO ARE YOUNG AND ABLE TO DO SO. LIMIT WELFARE TO ABLE BOdIED PEOPLE TO TWO YEars , then you are on your own.

Unions would have to leave the scene for at least a while. People don't need to be paying dues and wages shouldn't be bargained by strikes and unions. There was a time when unions had a place in the workforce, but this is not the time. We have Osha and other organizations to see that workplaces are safe for employees and others that employment is fair.

Campaign finance has to be looked at again so big business cannot rule the elections.

Illegal immigration has to be taken seriously for it usurps the resources that are meant for citizens. These people have to be deported and foreign aid stopped.

8. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    That is where you and I disagree especially in times like this.

If we did as you said, we would be abandoning those in need at a time when they need us the most after we, the government, put many of them in the condition they are in today.

Maybe (and I agree they should) social issues SHOULD be the realm of the states, but if that is the case, the states have dropped the ball for 235 years and let the federal government take care of it. Now, for the federal government to simply drop all social programs in the laps of already financially strapped states would be an economic nightmare.

Immie

9. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,204
    Government isn't the solution to our problems. It is the problem.

10. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,204
    Or we could just drop all social programs and let individuals, churches, and charities pick up the slack, as well they should.