OK all you geniuses

I have 250K extra $ to invest and have enough property. I want to retire in 9 years at age 65.
Where do I put it other than bonds which I have the same amount in now from about 8 years ago?They have near peaked and do not want to ut $ there now other than dividends re-invested.
Where?

Consider investing in WUPHF.com

To strongly emphasize, I am saying what I would do, not what anyone else should do. Everyone has their own risk tolerances and cash flow needs. Thus I am highly reluctant to give specialized advice, especially anonymously over the Interwebs.

With a glut of empty homes on the market most of my friends that do have rental houses have to compete with banks, new homes and everyone else for tenants.
Rental incomes are down.

A bank account. Otherwise, this is a very difficult time to invest.

The cheapest asset in the world us US land. But you said you have enough property. If I had to lock up my investments for a decade, I would choose a portfolio of high quality, large, dividend paying stocks.

Which is why I said rental property.

He has enough to buy a couple of decent houses outright.

He then can take the rent he recieves and put that in the bank and use only enough of the cash to repair and rerent the place.

Before long you have quite a little lump sum.

1000 a month for one house is very easy to see.

In five years you have neary half the cost of the house covered AND you still have the house to rent or sell.

People fear renting, its a piece of cake if you do it right and stop yourself from expecting there is not supposed to be work involved.

Thanks to EVERYONE for great advice. Knowledge is power and I got this far asking, listening and finding that comfort zone.
I plan to find a rental and do that. 85Kish-100Kish, college kids area of east Atlanta (Perimeter Community College) or around Kennesaw State- a liitle higher.
You guys convinced me! They beat the hell out of it but can fit 4 in a 3 BR. Charge the college kids, or should I correctly state THEIR PARENTS, rent with utilities included. Look for brothers or close friends to put 2 doubles in master, 1 each in other BRs. $450 a month all utilities, internet included.
100K stocks
50K bonds
15K family trip to Punta Cana in June!

If you are in the right area you can also do short term rentals.

You have the house completely decked out with EVERYTHING a person needs to occupy it and rent to people who are in for business or pleasure.

colleges sometimes have a need for visiting proffs and the like.

A bank account. Otherwise, this is a very difficult time to invest.

The cheapest asset in the world us US land. But you said you have enough property. If I had to lock up my investments for a decade, I would choose a portfolio of high quality, large, dividend paying stocks.

Which is why I said rental property.

He has enough to buy a couple of decent houses outright.

He then can take the rent he recieves and put that in the bank and use only enough of the cash to repair and rerent the place.

Before long you have quite a little lump sum.

1000 a month for one house is very easy to see.

In five years you have neary half the cost of the house covered AND you still have the house to rent or sell.

People fear renting, its a piece of cake if you do it right and stop yourself from expecting there is not supposed to be work involved.

Could you see doing it as your basically your living?

Oh I forgot the part of short term rentals that includes you can charge like double the cost of regular rent.

There are many people who are nothing but landlords as a living.

To strongly emphasize, I am saying what I would do, not what anyone else should do. Everyone has their own risk tolerances and cash flow needs. Thus I am highly reluctant to give specialized advice, especially anonymously over the Interwebs.

I'm thinking that following through on several of those Nigerian emails would be a bit risky, but would result in a massive payoff.

A lot of return differential has to do with how much patience you have. The most successful investment strategies involve mostly losses which is also aggravating.

If you have the stomach for it..stocks are a good bet. My picks this year were Ford, Citibank, United Steel, and General Electric.

I made a nice little profit and redid my kitchen and bathroom.

But do some research before investing. Make a dummy portfolio for a month or two and see how you do.

I would say focus on Construction and Energy companies.

I'm kicking the hell out of myself for not letting loose on Ford a couple of years ago at a buck thirty.

I'm thinking that following through on several of those Nigerian emails would be a bit risky, but would result in a massive payoff.

LOL, I have sent a few of those dudes that made it across the seas here to ourluxurious Federal prison.

I would open up a CD (obviously make sure it's FDIC insured). The stock market can have high rewards: but it's also high risk. Rule #1 of the stock market: somebody always knows more than you do. If you're planning on retiring sooner rather than later-I personally would advise against it. If something goes wrong-you could be screwed. While a CD may not pay off as much-you know it's safe.

edit: college renting may not be the best thing. With the economy more and more kids are moving back in home with their parents after graduating. I just graduated 1 1/2 years ago-and the majority of people I know who also graduated are living at home. And the amount of kids attending school, and living away from home at the same time is declining.

Last edited:
I would open up a CD (obviously make sure it's FDIC insured). The stock market can have high rewards: but it's also high risk. Rule #1 of the stock market: somebody always knows more than you do. If you're planning on retiring sooner rather than later-I personally would advise against it. If something goes wrong-you could be screwed. While a CD may not pay off as much-you know it's safe.

edit: college renting may not be the best thing. With the economy more and more kids are moving back in home with their parents after graduating. I just graduated 1 1/2 years ago-and the majority of people I know who also graduated are living at home. And the amount of kids attending school, and living away from home at the same time is declining.
Read or reread "The Intelligent Investor" by Benjamin Graham. Outwaiting, outdiscipling and outresearching the rest of the market is an easy but not fast way to make money. It can also make chopping palmetto roots to dig ditches look like easy money until your find your shtick. The one trick ponies make the money.

Hi Gad:

I have 250K extra $ to invest and have enough property. I want to retire in 9 years at age 65.
Where do I put it other than bonds which I have the same amount in now from about 8 years ago?They have near peaked and do not want to ut $ there now other than dividends re-invested.
Where?

The best investment in the world right now is silver that will eventually retrace steps to 1/16th the price of gold.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3GYoBb--sc]Silver Is Going To Skyrocket[/ame]

However, for when the crap hits the fan, the best investment will be in lead for your rifle. The have-nots will come and take all of your gold and silver, unless you have means to protect it. ;0)

GL,

Terral

Hi Gad:

Where?

The best investment in the world right now is silver that will eventually retrace steps to 1/16th the price of gold.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3GYoBb--sc]Silver Is Going To Skyrocket[/ame]

However, for when the crap hits the fan, the best investment will be in lead for your rifle. The have-nots will come and take all of your gold and silver, unless you have means to protect it. ;0)

GL,

Terral

I have the lead.

Where?

Asking for financial advice on a message board? Ok, well you should invest in my corporation where I can guarantee a 300 percent return in three years.

Forum List

Back