OK all you geniuses

Gadawg73

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2009
Georgia
I have 250K extra $ to invest and have enough property. I want to retire in 9 years at age 65.
Where do I put it other than bonds which I have the same amount in now from about 8 years ago?They have near peaked and do not want to ut $ there now other than dividends re-invested.
Where?

Consider a structured settlement vehicle.

basically what you are doing is buying an annuity from another person who doesn't want to wait for the pay out. For example some guy has an annuity with 100K left to collect over 10 years but he wants the money now. He sells for something less than 100K which is the actual cash value in the annuity today. You are guaranteed the interest rate of the original annuity. You then wait and collect the full 100K in 10 years

Depending on the time frame, you can be guaranteed a 5-8% return. if you want to retire in less than 10 years you don't want to add too much extra risk to your portfolio and in this economy a guaranteed 5-8% is a pretty good return.

Precious metals? Check out the silver and gold thread started in this sub-forum.

I have 250K extra $ to invest and have enough property. I want to retire in 9 years at age 65.
Where do I put it other than bonds which I have the same amount in now from about 8 years ago?They have near peaked and do not want to ut $ there now other than dividends re-invested.
Where?

Don't know what to tell you to do about investing - but if you retire in 9 years at age 65 you are likely going to take an early retirement with less SS dollars. That's not based on what's being talked about today - these age guidelines have been in effect. It's been a couple years, but I think those who were born in 1943 are the last to have the lower age requirements.

If you have the stomach for it..stocks are a good bet. My picks this year were Ford, Citibank, United Steel, and General Electric.

I made a nice little profit and redid my kitchen and bathroom.

But do some research before investing. Make a dummy portfolio for a month or two and see how you do.

I would say focus on Construction and Energy companies.

I love rental property.

If you shop arround you can buy good solid homes to buy and rent at decent rates.

You can be a good landlord and give a family a decent place to live at a fair rate while getting money for just being decent to people.

Make sure you make enough to fix what needs fixing and can rent it a little under market.

I have helped many people including family members rent at below market.

One family member was able to buy their own home because I rented to them undermarket.

I love rental property.

If you shop arround you can buy good solid homes to buy and rent at decent rates.

You can be a good landlord and give a family a decent place to live at a fair rate while getting money for just being decent to people.

Make sure you make enough to fix what needs fixing and can rent it a little under market.

One family member was able to buy their own home because I rented to them undermarket.

My cousin became a multi-millionare doing this..

Not bad for a guy that looks like Dan Haggerty and buys vintage firetrucks to have "water wars" with....:lol:

I love rental property.

Hey truth. This is something I really want to get into. Just out of curiousity what is the max number of units per property that you own?

I have no multiplexes.

If you can find one at a good price that is well kept go for it.

They are harder to shop for and harder to resale.

Where?

Too bad you didn't have this 2 years ago becuase gold would have been a nice hedge against the inflation we are experiencing right now.

Definately not bonds. Honestly at this point I would suggest buying highly underpriced property since there is a lot of it. It is actually your best bet as far as getting a ROI. You would have to sell the property in the future and depend on the markets recovering a lot more than the current government policies will allow them too but still.

I have no multiplexes.

If you can find one at a good price that is well kept go for it.

They are harder to shop for and harder to resale.

I have noticed people seem to snap them up rather quckly. Probably not looking to re-sale for ROI. More just an income stream.

I love rental property.

Not bad for a guy that looks like Dan Haggerty and buys vintage firetrucks to have "water wars" with....:lol:
My brother did the same, starting just 15 years ago, when we were both struggling to stay in business. We made different choices. I had owned a couple of rentals, and couldn't tolerate the renters, and their irresponsibility. My bros a hard-ass and thrives on confrontation and enforcement of his standards.

Consider a structured settlement vehicle.

basically what you are doing is buying an annuity from another person who doesn't want to wait for the pay out. For example some guy has an annuity with 100K left to collect over 10 years but he wants the money now. He sells for something less than 100K which is the actual cash value in the annuity today. You are guaranteed the interest rate of the original annuity. You then wait and collect the full 100K in 10 years

Depending on the time frame, you can be guaranteed a 5-8% return. if you want to retire in less than 10 years you don't want to add too much extra risk to your portfolio and in this economy a guaranteed 5-8% is a pretty good return.

I like it, good idea.

Where?

Don't know what to tell you to do about investing - but if you retire in 9 years at age 65 you are likely going to take an early retirement with less SS dollars. That's not based on what's being talked about today - these age guidelines have been in effect. It's been a couple years, but I think those who were born in 1943 are the last to have the lower age requirements.

I do not plan on drawing until late 60s anyway.
Do not need it.

I love rental property.

My brother did the same, starting just 15 years ago, when we were both struggling to stay in business. We made different choices. I had owned a couple of rentals, and couldn't tolerate the renters, and their irresponsibility. My bros a hard-ass and thrives on confrontation and enforcement of his standards.

Good idea but do not want the hassle.
Been there, done that. 10-12 years down the road they have beaten the shit out of the homes. Made some good $$ but just do not care for the business at all.

A bank account. Otherwise, this is a very difficult time to invest.

The cheapest asset in the world us US land. But you said you have enough property. If I had to lock up my investments for a decade, I would choose a portfolio of high quality, large, dividend paying stocks.

I love rental property.

You have to buy property that is hard to beat up.
Buy basic houses that are easy to maintain.
Simple Three twos or even three ones.

Nothing fancy just decent clean places to live.

You have to be ready for people to leave it a mess.

Some landlords get all bent out of shape about dirt.

I happen to love going in and cleaning up the mess and making it look good again.

Even holes in the wall repair very easily.

You ask for a deposit for a reason, take your costs out of their deposit.

Dont fear giving someone a break now and then on the rent to keep them from getting to far in the hole.

Treat people with kindness and they dont fuck you on purpose.

Be an asshole and you WILL get fucked.

Dont fear the dirt, people dont leave you a mess on purpose they just ran out of time to do everything.

I have yet to have anyone leave me a house that was so clean I could just rerent it.

Dont expect it, expect to have to clean your ass off, a little work never hurt anyone.

You really need to figure out what markets you can stomach and what strategies you can actually pull the trigger on. What works for me, Toro or TM doesn't matter.

Forum List

Back