Oil Rig & Rev. 8:8 ?

peach174

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
S.E. AZ
My Christian friends have been talking about this oil spill and the possibility of Rev. 8:8
perhaps coming true, so Thought I would bring it up here.

2nd Trumpet
Then the 2nd angle sounded: and something like a great mountain burning with fire was thrown into the sea and a third of the sea became blood and a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.

I will believe it if the last part of this comes ture.

I've looked through my Bible pretty intensely and so far I can't find any verse that deals with oil rig leaks - especially those in the Gulf. Is it mentioned in the Koran, by chance?

1/3 of the sea, I don't think the Gulf is that big.

"Great Mountain burning with fire", doesn't describe what's going on at all.

The Seas are cursed and this may be part of it, but it's not any sort of direct fulfillment of this.

I'm saying that John said he saw something like a burning mountain, not a burning mountain.
Look at the pic's of the rig on fire. He is describing something that he does not know what it is but that he thinks it looks like a burning mountain
How would you describe a burning oil rig if you lived 2,000 years ago?

My Christian friends have been talking about this oil spill and the possibility of Rev. 8:8
perhaps coming true, so Thought I would bring it up here.

2nd Trumpet
Then the 2nd angle sounded: and something like a great mountain burning with fire was thrown into the sea and a third of the sea became blood and a third of the living creatures in the sea died, and a third of the ships were destroyed.

I will believe it if the last part of this comes ture.

You are aware, are you not, that 'the Gulf Coast' does not actually constitute the world? There is a big wide world outside of the USA. Just sayin'.

I'm saying that John said he saw something like a burning mountain, not a burning mountain.
Look at the pic's of the rig on fire. He is describing something that he does not know what it is but that he thinks it looks like a burning mountain

Burning Mountain? I'd have thought a volcano would be a better fit for that description. Try to consider that the bible refers to the whole world, not just our corner of it.

The water has become very toxic and the gulf stream goes out into the atlantic ocean if the alantic becomes toxic then that would be a third of the seas.
Me - I hope that the toxins will become to diluted to amount to anything.
John also knew about volcanos way back in his time. If it would have been a volcano he would have said so.

Last edited:
I could see the description but 1/3 would be a HUGE over exaggeration of the end result of this. Even if we were unable to stop the flow it would not affect 1/3 of the ocean. As a matter of fact, I cannot think of anything that could create such destruction of the ocean. Possibly GW but I am inclined to call that BS. The ocean is VAST, more so than we could really picture.

That is a pretty big stretch to get to that point and in some respects, I'd have to say a bit premature. For instance Rev 8:6-7,

6Then the seven angels who had the seven trumpets prepared to sound them.

7The first angel sounded his trumpet, and there came hail and fire mixed with blood, and it was hurled down upon the earth. A third of the earth was burned up, a third of the trees were burned up, and all the green grass was burned up.

Has the first trumpet been sounded? Wouldn't you think that the first trumpet would have been first?

People are constantly seeing events in history as being signs of the end times. For at least 2000 years every time there is a tragic event, you can bet that someone said something like, "see, this is a sign from God that the age is ending."

Man wants to think he is smarter than God and can discover "the clues" that God has supposedly placed within his Word that man knows will lead him to the date and time of the Second Coming of Christ.

Matthew 24:36-41
36"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son,[f] but only the Father. 37As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; 39and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 40Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. 41Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.

The time will come, but in God's time not our own.

It is fun to look at things like the disaster in the Gulf and to say, "see, this is a sign from God that the age is ending". But, quite truthfully, I don't see the burning Deepwater Horizon as a burning mountain and clearly we are not talking about 1/3 of the living creatures in the sea dying. At least I hope not!

Immie

The water has become very toxic and the gulf stream goes out into the atlantic ocean if the alantic becomes toxic then that would be a third of the seas.
Me - I hope that the toxins will become to diluted to amount to anything.
John also knew about volcanos way back in his time. If it would have been a volcano he would have said so.

You realize there is a whole world outside the US, right? It would be great if Americans would realize that the world doesn't end at our borders.

I too would think of it being a metor but would a metor cause the sea to turn red? Toxic bacteria would cause red water and toxic bacteria could wash out into the atlantic. That is why I said that I hope the atlantic is big enough to dilute these toxins.
But bacteria is a very fast multiplier.

As mentioned earlier you have forgotten the first trumpet. And the 7 seals that were opened even before that.

Nope, I don't believe this is the book of Revelations.

I think Revelation is mainly a spiritual allegory. I think it's a mistake to try to apply it specifically to current events, or use it to predict end times, Christ will return events. Even Christ said that only the Father knows when he will return.

We are meant to live our lives today the best we can.

That is a pretty big stretch to get to that point and in some respects, I'd have to say a bit premature. For instance Rev 8:6-7,

7The first angel sounded his trumpet, and there came hail and fire mixed with blood, and it was hurled down upon the earth. A third of the earth was burned up, a third of the trees were burned up, and all the green grass was burned up.

Has the first trumpet been sounded? Wouldn't you think that the first trumpet would have been first?

People are constantly seeing events in history as being signs of the end times. For at least 2000 years every time there is a tragic event, you can bet that someone said something like, "see, this is a sign from God that the age is ending."

Man wants to think he is smarter than God and can discover "the clues" that God has supposedly placed within his Word that man knows will lead him to the date and time of the Second Coming of Christ.

36"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son,[f] but only the Father. 37As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; 39and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 40Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. 41Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.

It is fun to look at things like the disaster in the Gulf and to say, "see, this is a sign from God that the age is ending". But, quite truthfully, I don't see the burning Deepwater Horizon as a burning mountain and clearly we are not talking about 1/3 of the living creatures in the sea dying. At least I hope not!

Immie

Many have said that this is already being fulfilled - There has been more and more fires around the world and they keep increasing along with large hail that keeps getting larger and larger and more and more bloodshed with people protesting and turning into bloody riots.
I would not call it fun to look at Rev. and see what might or might not be coming true
but it is interesting to see how it might be interpreted and fun to see people's different points of views. NO? Yes?

Last edited:

Immie

Many have said that this is already being fulfilled - There has been more and more fires around the world and they keep increasing along with large hail that keeps getting larger and larger and more and more bloodshed with people protesting and turning into bloody riots.
I would not call it fun to look at Rev. and see what might or might not be coming true
but it is interesting to see how it might be interpreted and fun to see people's different points of views. NO? Yes?

Interesting, would have been the better choice of words.

In regards to the first part of your post, many have been saying these things since Christ ascended into Heaven almost 2000 years ago and they keep saying it and will keep saying it until it comes true.

Middleman says that he believes it is a Spiritual allegory. He may be right. I tend to believe in the literal interpretation of the Word of God unless there is evidence that it should not be read as such so if someday in my lifetime there is hail and fire mixed with blood, I won't be surprised. Until that time, I await the revealing of the rest of Revelation and attempt to not let my limited human understanding get in the way.

Immie

:cuckoo:

Newp. Not scripturally accurate. None of the seals, trumps or bowls happen till after the revelation of the Antichrist via the 7 year peace treaty. Most will mistake the man who makes the treaty with Israel and her neighbors as the messiah, and only after that happens does the revelation timeline kick in again.

Forum List

Back