Oil plunging!! Are solar and wind dead?

Thank you for your background, Mark. I am an industrial millwright, 50 years experiance, presently working full time in a steel mill. I am also taking classes in a University, working toward a degree in geology. about 115 credits along in that effort.

Post #6, the part that says 3.7 cents a kilowatt as opposed to 6.6 cents a kilowatt from dirty coal. Add the grid scale batteries to that equation, and that number of 8.3% of the grid is going to change rapidly. Rapidly enough that they will be shutting down coal plants that have life still in them as a matter of economics.
8.3%, talk to me when it is 25% or something around a quarter of the grid. Did yo see the map? Where are they going to add the additional farms?
Egad, you do realize Texas is a pretty large place, right? Then again, maybe not.
I lived and traveled in Texas for five years. So yeah i know how big and where there are no people. Doesn't change what I said. So again, let me know when they get that to 25% They'd have to add two more footprints the same size as what they already have, and again, show me where they'd put all of that? And, where, they'd go to add another three areas to get it to 50%. Seems that's where you want to take this.

Yeah,

That's why solar has installed 44gw globally this year and this is expected to break 50 gw by next year. And this is why wind in the united states has reached 2.5gw once again...Coming back from a little over 1gw last year.

Post #6, the part that says 3.7 cents a kilowatt as opposed to 6.6 cents a kilowatt from dirty coal. Add the grid scale batteries to that equation, and that number of 8.3% of the grid is going to change rapidly. Rapidly enough that they will be shutting down coal plants that have life still in them as a matter of economics.
8.3%, talk to me when it is 25% or something around a quarter of the grid. Did yo see the map? Where are they going to add the additional farms?
Egad, you do realize Texas is a pretty large place, right? Then again, maybe not.
I lived and traveled in Texas for five years. So yeah i know how big and where there are no people. Doesn't change what I said. So again, let me know when they get that to 25% They'd have to add two more footprints the same size as what they already have, and again, show me where they'd put all of that? And, where, they'd go to add another three areas to get it to 50%. Seems that's where you want to take this.

I'd require a federal or state mandate with every new home be constructed with 1-3kw of solar. This is the best way to go forward.... A few cities in California are already doing this, so it could very well work as it is more than a theory, but being done as we speak. With this mandate, sure your home would cost a little more up front but would have a little more value for you if you sell later on...So either way it is a win.

Why build on open land when you could just as easily use 1/3rd to 1/2 of your own roof to supply it?

Well, Mark, the development of solar has been slow. However, with utility scale costs of Photovoltaic solar coming in at an unsubsidized 7.2 cents a kilowatt, and dirty coal at 6.6 cents a kilowatt, we are nearly there on solar. Given that the efficiency of solar continues to rise even as the price drops, the future is pretty clear.

And then there are the externalities. No childrens asthma from either solar or wind. No mercury, lead, arsenic, and uranium expelled into the atmosphere. Even the cleanest of the coal plants, and those produce electricity at a much higher price than 6.6 cents a kilowatt, produce some of these toxins.

Producing power is one thing. Storing it is another. We need much better batteries in order to use energies that do not produce 100% of the time.

Mark

Well, Mark, the development of solar has been slow. However, with utility scale costs of Photovoltaic solar coming in at an unsubsidized 7.2 cents a kilowatt, and dirty coal at 6.6 cents a kilowatt, we are nearly there on solar. Given that the efficiency of solar continues to rise even as the price drops, the future is pretty clear.

And then there are the externalities. No childrens asthma from either solar or wind. No mercury, lead, arsenic, and uranium expelled into the atmosphere. Even the cleanest of the coal plants, and those produce electricity at a much higher price than 6.6 cents a kilowatt, produce some of these toxins.

Producing power is one thing. Storing it is another. We need much better batteries in order to use energies that do not produce 100% of the time.

Mark

That's why we need to fund r&d ;) We have quite a few projects currently that could very well be the solution.

Thank you for your background, Mark. I am an industrial millwright, 50 years experiance, presently working full time in a steel mill. I am also taking classes in a University, working toward a degree in geology. about 115 credits along in that effort.

Wow. Why a degree now? BTW, I am also a union carpenter, and I work with millwrights often. Even been a "rat" once or twice myself.

Nice to meet you.

Mark

True.

Alevo Unstealthed A New Gigawatt-Scale Grid Battery Contender Greentech Media

From out of nowhere, a startup named Alevo has emerged as a serious rival to Tesla in the race to achieve next-generation grid battery manufacturing at gigawatt scale.

On Monday, the North Carolina-based, European-backed company announced plans to invest $1 billion in turning an old Philip Morris cigarette factory into a battery factory eventually capable of churning out "several gigawatts" per year, CEO Jostein Eikeland told me in an interview. Utility customers in North America are soon to be announced, and the company has already booked about 200 megawatts of orders, enough to fill the factory’s planned production next year, he said.

Alevo says its lithium-iron-phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries are the first to use an inorganic electrolyte based on sulfur, which prevents the chemical reactions that lead to heating, expansion and eventual failure for lithium-ion batteries. Test cells have lasted more than 40,000 cycles in “hammer tests” that completely discharge and then overcharge them over and over again, without significant degradation of performance, he said.

Mark

That's why we need to fund r&d ;) We have quite a few projects currently that could very well be the solution.

We already fund r&d. Why is it that men figure we can always work it out? Maybe there is no viable answer? We haven't cured cancer, or the common cold, and maybe we never will.

Mark

True.

Alevo Unstealthed A New Gigawatt-Scale Grid Battery Contender Greentech Media

From out of nowhere, a startup named Alevo has emerged as a serious rival to Tesla in the race to achieve next-generation grid battery manufacturing at gigawatt scale.

On Monday, the North Carolina-based, European-backed company announced plans to invest $1 billion in turning an old Philip Morris cigarette factory into a battery factory eventually capable of churning out "several gigawatts" per year, CEO Jostein Eikeland told me in an interview. Utility customers in North America are soon to be announced, and the company has already booked about 200 megawatts of orders, enough to fill the factory’s planned production next year, he said.

Alevo says its lithium-iron-phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries are the first to use an inorganic electrolyte based on sulfur, which prevents the chemical reactions that lead to heating, expansion and eventual failure for lithium-ion batteries. Test cells have lasted more than 40,000 cycles in “hammer tests” that completely discharge and then overcharge them over and over again, without significant degradation of performance, he said.

Best of luck to them.

Mark

Wow. Why a degree now? BTW, I am also a union carpenter, and I work with millwrights often. Even been a "rat" once or twice myself.

Nice to meet you.

Mark
Well, at 71, I can see physically, in a few years, that I won't be able to do this kind of work to the level that I find acceptable. And I have read peer review level journals on geology since I was in my 20's. No good reason why, just like rocks and there history. Plus I have gone on trips with a couple of Phd geologists who are now my mentors, and love doing the field work, whether on the ground or interpreting core samples.

Nice to meet you.

Mark
Well, at 71, I can see physically, in a few years, that I won't be able to do this kind of work to the level that I find acceptable. And I have read peer review level journals on geology since I was in my 20's. No good reason why, just like rocks and there history. Plus I have gone on trips with a couple of Phd geologists who are now my mentors, and love doing the field work, whether on the ground or interpreting core samples.

Won't you be retiring? I mean, at 71?? shouldn't you be thinking about taking it easy? I just turned 60, and I can't see retiring before 70, but I figured that at 70, I should be able to let go.

Mark

I'd require a federal or state mandate with every new home be constructed with 1-3kw of solar. This is the best way to go forward.... A few cities in California are already doing this, so it could very well work as it is more than a theory, but being done as we speak. With this mandate, sure your home would cost a little more up front but would have a little more value for you if you sell later on...So either way it is a win.

Why build on open land when you could just as easily use 1/3rd to 1/2 of your own roof to supply it?
I agree with you. Thinking that using just land mass to fill up with glass and windmills just seems ugly and ineffective. I'd like to know what the upkeep is on them.

Nice to meet you.

Mark

Won't you be retiring? I mean, at 71?? shouldn't you be thinking about taking it easy? I just turned 60, and I can't see retiring before 70, but I figured that at 70, I should be able to let go.

Mark
Well, I probably won't be working full time. And, since hunting rock is what I would be doing anyway, why not do it with some real knowledge? Plus, I have watched people retire, hit the coach, and in 18 months they are pushing up daisies.

And there is genetics. Both side of my family often live actively to 90+, so why waste that time? And, since I will have SS plus a pension, there is the possibility that if I see something I am really interested in, that I may engage in a season of real research. Very interested the the volcanic provinces of Eastern Oregon.

Nice to meet you.

Mark

Mark
Well, I probably won't be working full time. And, since hunting rock is what I would be doing anyway, why not do it with some real knowledge? Plus, I have watched people retire, hit the coach, and in 18 months they are pushing up daisies.

And there is genetics. Both side of my family often live actively to 90+, so why waste that time? And, since I will have SS plus a pension, there is the possibility that if I see something I am really interested in, that I may engage in a season of real research. Very interested the the volcanic provinces of Eastern Oregon.

Best of luck to you with your rock hunting. Sounds like you won't be looking for something to do in your retirement years.

Mark

I agree with you. Thinking that using just land mass to fill up with glass and windmills just seems ugly and ineffective. I'd like to know what the upkeep is on them.
Less per kilowatt than coal fired generation. Don't know the comparison with gas fired. But one thing very nice about the mills is that they represent an outside income for many wheat farmers and cattle ranchers in Eastern Oregon.

In our cities, we have hundreds of thousands of acres of industrial, commercial, and warehouse roofs that would be ideal for solar. Plus they are close to the use of the electricity, so they would not have the transmission losses of the conventional point sources.

But they are building 20 new coal plants by 2020...............

[URL=http://s42.photobucket.com/user/baldaltima/media/465x586xGerman-Coal-copy_jpg_pagespeed_ic_rjIvczQPGF.jpg.html][/URL]

Sometimes s0ns.......you gotta just chew on the rotten egg!!!:2up:

Last edited:
The AGW crowd doesn't want to face facts in terms of economic realities.........but for those who do, I suggest reading this link below and here is a snippet to give you a snap shot of why fossil fuels are highly necessary for many EU nations >>>

Merkel's Switch to Renewables: Rising Energy Prices Endanger German Industry
By Frank Dohmen and Alexander Neubacher

Last spring, Chancellor Angela Merkel set Germany on course to eliminate nuclear power in favor of renewable energy sources. Now, though, several industries are suffering as electricity prices rapidly rise. Many companies are having to close factories or move abroad.

Merkel s Switch to Renewables Rising Energy Prices Endanger German Industry - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Just more proof that trhe AGW crowd doesn't care about "costs".......an inconvenience to them. But not to world leaders!!!!:eusa_dance:

Why do you AGW guys even bother to jump into the fray on this........always ends up a Jonestown for you guys!!!:boobies::boobies::coffee:

When you post up fraudulent shit, its ALWAYS going to be exposed as fraudulent in here!!

Forum List

Back