Oil money pours in for McCain

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
ASSOCIATED PRESS, July 27, 2008

Oil industry gushed money after reversal on drilling

Campaign contributions from oil industry executives to John McCain rose dramatically in the last half of June, after the senator from Arizona made a high-profile split with environmentalists and reversed his opposition to the federal ban on offshore drilling.

Oil and gas industry executives and employees donated $1.1 million to McCain last month - three-quarters of which came after his June 16 speech calling for an end to the ban - compared with $116,000 in March, $283,000 in April and $208,000 in May.

McCain said the policy reversal came as a response to rising voter anger over soaring energy prices. At the time, about three-quarters of voters responding to a Washington Post-ABC News poll said prices at the pump were causing them financial hardship.

Opening vast stretches of the country's coastline to oil exploration would help America eliminate its dependence on foreign oil, McCain said. McCain delivered the speech before heading to Texas for a series of fund-raisers with energy industry executives, and the day after the speech he raised $1.3 million at a private luncheon and reception at the San Antonio Country Club.

[And now, the punch line] Brian Rogers, a McCain campaign spokesman, said he considers any suggestion that McCain weighed fund-raising into his calculation on drilling policy "completely absurd."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/26/AR2008072601891.html

Last edited:
Exxon is making $1,500 dollars a second.

They want to rack it up before Bush leaves office.

ASSOCIATED PRESS, July 27, 2008

Oil industry gushed money after reversal on drilling

Campaign contributions from oil industry executives to John McCain rose dramatically in the last half of June, after the senator from Arizona made a high-profile split with environmentalists and reversed his opposition to the federal ban on offshore drilling.

Oil and gas industry executives and employees donated $1.1 million to McCain last month - three-quarters of which came after his June 16 speech calling for an end to the ban - compared with $116,000 in March, $283,000 in April and $208,000 in May.

McCain said the policy reversal came as a response to rising voter anger over soaring energy prices. At the time, about three-quarters of voters responding to a Washington Post-ABC News poll said prices at the pump were causing them financial hardship.

Opening vast stretches of the country's coastline to oil exploration would help America eliminate its dependence on foreign oil, McCain said. McCain delivered the speech before heading to Texas for a series of fund-raisers with energy industry executives, and the day after the speech he raised $1.3 million at a private luncheon and reception at the San Antonio Country Club.

[And now, the punch line] Brian Rogers, a McCain campaign spokesman, said he considers any suggestion that McCain weighed fund-raising into his calculation on drilling policy "completely absurd."

washingtonpost.com

What was Exxon's profit number yesterday? $40Billion? For a quarter or for a year? REGARDLESS.

Flash back to 2000, when Bush first got into office. What was their number then? $8 billion for the same time frame.

Of course they are financing McBush. He's going to protect them while they gouge us.

This should be all anyone needs to know.

$90,000 profit a minute.

That's what I heard they're reaping right now thanks to the windfall profits.

Must be nice.

$90,000 profit a minute.

Must be nice.

Yesterday Randi was talking about this. This is proof they are gouging. If they weren't, their profit would stay the same when the price goes up. The price might go up because of supply and demand, but that shouldn't increase their profits, right?

And thats why we must tell them hell no to tapping off shore and anwar. They will sell that oil on the world market, not to us. So they are selling us on the idea of making them richer with our oil and not sharing with us. Are we stupid? Apparently half of us are. Because unless you are sharing the profits, you are fool to defend them.

Yesterday Randi was talking about this. This is proof they are gouging. If they weren't, their profit would stay the same when the price goes up. The price might go up because of supply and demand, but that shouldn't increase their profits, right?

And thats why we must tell them hell no to tapping off shore and anwar. They will sell that oil on the world market, not to us. So they are selling us on the idea of making them richer with our oil and not sharing with us. Are we stupid? Apparently half of us are. Because unless you are sharing the profits, you are fool to defend them.

but we cant use alternative fuels because it will cost money and take time! and they suck! and freedom! where does the constitution say oil is bad? we need to drill now!! stupid libs. go hug a tree

sorry, no oil fans had commented yet, so i figured i should balance it out :redface:

but we cant use alternative fuels because it will cost money and take time! and they suck! and freedom! where does the constitution say oil is bad? we need to drill now!! stupid libs. go hug a tree

sorry, no oil fans had commented yet, so i figured i should balance it out :redface:

You almost had me there. LOL.

Exxon is making $1,500 dollars a second.

They want to rack it up before Bush leaves office.

What was Exxon's profit number yesterday? $40Billion? For a quarter or for a year? REGARDLESS.

Flash back to 2000, when Bush first got into office. What was their number then? $8 billion for the same time frame.

Of course they are financing McBush. He's going to protect them while they gouge us.

This should be all anyone needs to know.

$90,000 profit a minute.

Must be nice.

Funny how none of you mention that Exxon Mobil paid $32.361 billion in taxes in the second quarter, which works out to $4,114 in taxes per second, or $248,840.00 a minute. And you want to tax oil companies even more, and Obama wants to use that money to send out more rebates.

And before you go around bashing McCain, take note of the fact that Obama has accepted more than $213,000 from individuals who work for companies in the oil and gas industry and their spouses and two of Obama's bundlers are top executives at oil companies and were listed on his Web site as raising between $50,000 and $100,000 for the presidential hopeful. So, he's not exactly as pure as you would like.

Both of them have their hands in the oil till.

Exxon is terrified that citizens will take conservation measures into their own hands and buy smaller cars, more effiencent vehicles and see the promotion of alternative energy, all of which will cut demand and lower oil prices.

The horror!

I'd rather McCain get our oil money than money from other countries, like Obamayomama.

Exxon makes $12 billion yearly profit. How many people are on the payroll? Does anyone know?

On the profit payroll, I mean....who are the owners of Exxon and how many are there? What was the individual profit to each?

People act like Exxon is a single person.

On the profit payroll, I mean....who are the owners of Exxon and how many are there? What was the individual profit to each?

People act like Exxon is a single person.

Do you know what the fuck's going on Allie?

ExxonMobil gave its CEO, Lee Raymond, a $398 million retirement package – one of the richest compensation packages in corporate history.

U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders

I'd rather McCain get our oil money than money from other countries, like Obamayomama.

Exxon makes $12 billion yearly profit. How many people are on the payroll? Does anyone know?

WTF? Are you denying that big oil is making extreme profits by breaking the backs of the average American?

So you're saying you guys just don't know.

398 million is less than half a billion. Does that mean there are 25 or 30 more people benefiting from the profit margin?

I have no objection to 30 people making a lot of money.
I do object to them speculating, if they are.

Are they? Does anyone know?

Exxon is terrified that citizens will take conservation measures into their own hands and buy smaller cars, more effiencent vehicles and see the promotion of alternative energy, all of which will cut demand and lower oil prices.

The horror!

Bush is so terrified that people will begin to conserve energy, that HE REFUSED TO EVEN SAY IT AT ONE OF HIS PRESS CONFERENCES when asked about conservation by one of the reporters. The most patriotic thing any of us could do right now is conserve fuel, and Bush wouldn't not even recommend it. He cares NOTHING about America.

Bush is so terrified that people will begin to conserve energy, that HE REFUSED TO EVEN SAY IT AT ONE OF HIS PRESS CONFERENCES when asked about conservation by one of the reporters. The most patriotic thing any of us could do right now is conserve fuel, and Bush wouldn't not even recommend it. He cares NOTHING about America.

We drove a trillion less miles this year during the holidays than we did last year and their profits were still $40 billion dollars. Conserve conschmerve. LOL. If we drive less enough that it starts cutting into their profits, they'll raise prices to make up for it. That would totally blow the supply and demand theory, huh? LOL.

We drove a trillion less miles this year during the holidays than we did last year and their profits were still $40 billion dollars. Conserve conschmerve. LOL. If we drive less enough that it starts cutting into their profits, they'll raise prices to make up for it. That would totally blow the supply and demand theory, huh? LOL.

have you seen 'who killed the electric car?'

And Democrats are perfectly happy letting the price of gas run up to $10.00 a gallon and doing nothing within our own borders to remedy the problem. There is potentially enough oil within our borders to satisfy American needs for at least the next 100 years, certainly enough time to develop alternatives, but Democrats would prefer we pay $10 per gallon at the pump and watch food prices increase 250% rather drill.

BOHICA

Forum List

Back