Oil Hits 105 a Barrel - Obama Admin to Appeal Judge's Ruling

Why is it that "we" can't drill in the Gulf of Mexico, off of the coasts of California, Florida and the Carolinas?

Why is it that "we" are prevented from building new refineries?
That's easy, the oil monopoly does not want more fuel on the market driving down prices. That's why new wells are capped! The more wells that are drilled the more wells that will be capped. No new oil will make it into the market no matter how much we drill.

The government needs to threaten the oil monopoly with nationalization of their capped wells if they don't uncap the wells.

Last edited:
then sir, you might want to start with say the sierra club and ask them why for years they lauded solar, then bit it right in the ass when it came ti nut cutting time.....just sayin'.

take 5, heres an example.

Green Power, Red Lights | The Weekly Standard

If you knew where I worked and what I did, you'd understand that I am ALL for pursing battery technologies and fusion.

However, as oddball says, fossil fuels ARE the fuels/energy's for the next 25 years at least, that is a fact, I am sorry, I truly wish we could have that break-through tomorrow, but it just doesn't work that way.

I think we had this discussion before.

You don't think a manhattan-project style program would bring fusion to market double-quick? You don't think 1/10 of what we've spent protecting oil would be sufficient?

Of course it would... And of course it would.
Manhattan Project ended up killing at least a million people directly and tens of millions on the periphery.

Are you really sure you want to stand by that model?

I think it's the effort not the outcome. But you probably knew that already.....

Curb consumption and seek alternatives, of course. I find it unfortunate and sad that so many Republicans/conservatives/righties/whatever demonize any efforts thereof and/or laugh them off as a joke.

I have no problem with pursing alternatives, but, I don't believe that the High Priests of the new religion should be making us pay more now, when we don't have to.

See I disagree. Taking steps to artificially lower the price will disincentivize the finding of a permanent solution. Not to mention, alternatives or not, I find it foolish to mine and consume all of our own resources immediately. See, I think this is the very argument the BOGSATs are having that we never hear about. Somebody is going to be the first ones to run out of this stuff entirely. Do you really think it should be us? What would happen to the price then? Or our security for that matter?

YES YES YES!

We are hoarding our oil in the event a war breaks out during the next two or three decades and we can not get more. Don't forget we need the stuff for more than just gas and diesel too. Still need all the lubes to keep the world going round.

When/if the Middle East runs dry they can return to being as irrelevant as they were before the last sixty years. The same place Central Africa is now.

Good lord, if CAFE standards raised enough or Americans supported my troops we would be pulling ourselves out of this mess. (not ours, no one with a new Suburban or gas hog BMW supports the troops)

Thursday, Obama commented that the tax cuts he passed OFFSET the surging gas prices.
“Now, one good thing that we did was in December, an example of compromise that a lot of people didn’t think was going to be possible, with Republicans — we were able to pass a package of tax cuts that has helped to buffer some of that strain on families. So the total amount of tax cuts that we passed to boost the economy this year will probably be higher than the additional gas costs,” Obama said.

Now, I do wonder why he said this on Wednesday during his debt speech (just one day before), and what that means for offsetting prices in the future:
In December, I agreed to extend the tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans because it was the only way I could prevent a tax hike on middle-class Americans. But we cannot afford $1 trillion worth of tax cuts for every millionaire and billionaire in our society. And I refuse to renew them again.

This rhetoric that he is proactive in fighting gas prices is laughable at best.

High gas prices are contributing to the recent poll showing that 69% of people are dissatisfied with the direction of the country.

Republicans need to keep pinning Obama's policies on the pain felt at the pump.

Forum List

Back