Oil Drilling - re-investment in last century's technology

wihosa

Gold Member
Apr 8, 2008
As to be expected, those who are getting rich on the manipulation of oil prices are trying to stampede the American people into foolishly re-investing in last century's technology. The internal combustion engine is relic of the past.

Our future is in electric vehicles. Wise investments recognize the direction of technological development. Opening more federal lands to oil drilling will not bring oil prices down as the rising costs have nothing to do with supply and demand, but rather the realization on the part of oil companies that technology is now prepared to move into the future with electric cars. Soon the value of oil is going to crash because of the fact that electric cars are coming on regardless of the attempts of the oil cabal to prevent this advance.

Oil companies have been waiting for this moment (of pervcieved shortage). While they have us panicked by the spike in oil prices and suppossed shortage they will push to open up more oil fields and double down on our investment in past technology. If we allow more of the American People's land to be exploited (without fair compensation by the way), we will only delay the day at which we throw off the yoke of the oil companies and their easy money days.

I don't know about you but I am sick and tired of over paying for energy. Inexpensive and plentiful energy are ours if we invest in the technologies of the 21st century.

Say no to oil drilling. Say yes to investments of the future.

The future is now!

I agree, but until then we need more oil. Unless of course you want a repeat of the great depression.

Charles there is no way in hell that drilling today will solve today's economic problems.

If you're counting on ANWR to save the economy you are in for a big shock.

Charles there is no way in hell that drilling today will solve today's economic problems.

Lmao....

Drilling won't help the economy......
There is a perceived world oil shortage why not drill?
Develop the oil shale in the Rockies, there is a potential of 800 billion barrels of oil in the Rockies. You don't think that will change the economy? That's 3 times more oil than Saudi Arabia's oil reserves.

Also, our government must stop spending more money than it has, its killing the dollar.

I am not, I am counting on it to save the economy of the future, along with of course eventually getting away from oil all together.

I keep asking these people that insist electric is the wave of the future to explain where THEY think electric power comes from. Most of it comes from coal and oil powered plants.

So again explain how we "save" oil by converting to electric?

Sorry to hear about your ass falling off. I'd get that checked if I were you

Drilling won't help the economy......

Not to solve the problem of oil pricing, today, no, it won't.

There is a perceived world oil shortage why not drill?

You just answered your own question. "perceived wrold oil shortage"

Develop the oil shale in the Rockies, there is a potential of 800 billion barrels of oil in the Rockies.

Here's a head's up...nobody is stopping them from doing so except the bean counters.

It is not economically feasible to recover that oil.

You don't think that will change the economy? That's 3 times more oil than Saudi Arabia's oil reserves.

Yes, so we're told. Sadly the oil is impregrated in solid rock and the cost of recovery make that solution impractical.

Also, our government must stop spending more money than it has, its killing the dollar.

Grand idea. Why hasn't anyone else ever thought of that?

As to be expected, those who are getting rich on the manipulation of oil prices are trying to stampede the American people into foolishly re-investing in last century's technology. The internal combustion engine is relic of the past.

Our future is in electric vehicles. Wise investments recognize the direction of technological development. Opening more federal lands to oil drilling will not bring oil prices down as the rising costs have nothing to do with supply and demand, but rather the realization on the part of oil companies that technology is now prepared to move into the future with electric cars. Soon the value of oil is going to crash because of the fact that electric cars are coming on regardless of the attempts of the oil cabal to prevent this advance.

Oil companies have been waiting for this moment (of pervcieved shortage). While they have us panicked by the spike in oil prices and suppossed shortage they will push to open up more oil fields and double down on our investment in past technology. If we allow more of the American People's land to be exploited (without fair compensation by the way), we will only delay the day at which we throw off the yoke of the oil companies and their easy money days.

I don't know about you but I am sick and tired of over paying for energy. Inexpensive and plentiful energy are ours if we invest in the technologies of the 21st century.

Say no to oil drilling. Say yes to investments of the future.

The future is now!
Obama said that we should bring in alternate technologies and there is a way to do so that energy companies are not left out on the inevitable profits. Seems fair, and would allay the main concern of the dominating conglomerates...losing all that money they are fleecing us for.

I keep asking these people that insist electric is the wave of the future to explain where THEY think electric power comes from. Most of it comes from coal and oil powered plants.

We don't have a free market in the energy industry. Everybody knows that. We give a trillion a year in subsidies, direct and indirect subsidies, to oil, and somewhere near a trillion dollars to coal. Nuclear energy is also highly subsidized. If we had a real free market that does what a market is supposed to do, which is to reward good behavior and punish bad behavior and inefficiency, wind, solar, geothermal and tidal would easily triumph in the marketplace. You would see them immediately taking over the marketplace. The biggest impediment is these huge subsidies we're pouring into incumbents.

We save oil by driving fuel efficient cars, producing ethanol on algae farms, and by developing solar and wind power. The technology is there. The time to move is NOW.

Sorry to hear about your ass falling off. I'd get that checked if I were you

Not to solve the problem of oil pricing, today, no, it won't.

You just answered your own question. "perceived wrold oil shortage"

Here's a head's up...nobody is stopping them from doing so except the bean counters.

It is not economically feasible to recover that oil.

Yes, so we're told. Sadly the oil is impregrated in solid rock and the cost of recovery make that solution impractical.

Grand idea. Why hasn't anyone else ever thought of that?

Yawn....
BI - PARTISAN LEGISLATORS CONDEMN SALAZAR ....OIL SHALE
While consumers battle $4-a-gallon Gas prices , a single U.S. Senator is trying to block America from developing Oil shale , an American resource that could single - handedly END America's dependence on expensive foreign oil .

Colorado's Ken Salazar (Democrat) is reportedly trying to use the U. S. Defense Authorization Bill to put Oil shale Development in Colorado , Utah and Wyoming on permanent Hold by blocking Commercial oil shale Leasing on Public lands .

Salazar also plans to use the Defense Authorization Bill to block the efficient development of an estimated, NINE Trillion cubic feet of clean-burning Natural Gas in the U. S. Naval Oil Shale Reserve , located in Western Colorado . That gas is enough to heat Four Million homes for 20 Years .

" I fear that Ken Salazar has been misled by Environmental Extremists who don't seem to care about seeing America come more Energy Independent ", said Wyoming State Senator Bill Vasey (D), Board Chairman of Americans for American Energy (A.A.E.). " The leaders of some of these Groups actually 'want' Consumers to get hit with higher prices , because They believe that this is the only Way to force People to conserve . That's not right .
We should be looking to Increase the supply of American energy for America , which will help reduce the upward pressure on Prices ."

American Solutions - RAND: U.S. Oil Shale Resources Are Three Times Larger Than the Current Oil Reserves in Saudi Arabia
However, Shell Oil has been investing in technology that would make extraction much cheaper than standard pit mining:

Shell Oil Company has successfully conducted small-scale field tests of an insitu process based on slow underground heating via thermal conduction. Larger scale operations are required to establish technical viability, especially with regard to avoiding adverse impacts on groundwater quality. Shell anticipates that, in contrast to the cost estimates for mining and surface retorting, the petroleum products produced by their thermally conductive in-situ method will be competitive at crude oil prices in the mid-$20s per barrel.

The Energy Policy Act of 2005 specifically declared that it was the policy of the United States to recognize oil shale as a strategically important domestic resource. Section 369 states:
DECLARATION OF POLICY.—Congress declares that it is the policy of the United States that—

(1) United States oil shale, tar sands, and other unconventional fuels are strategically important domestic resources that should be developed to reduce the growing dependence of the United States on politically and economically unstable sources of foreign oil imports;

(2) the development of oil shale, tar sands, and other strategic unconventional fuels, for research and commercial development, should be conducted in an environmentally sound manner, using practices that minimize impacts; and

(3) development of those strategic unconventional fuels should occur, with an emphasis on sustainability, to benefit the United States while taking into account affected States and communities.

At least attempt to know what you are talking about ok???

Last edited:
I wonder if the author of this thread realizes that we did not pass some magical barrier when new century started. You need to be ready to change to new Technologies before you do it. If you just try and force it, all you will do is serious damage to our economy.

I wonder if the author of this thread realizes that we did not pass some magical barrier when new century started. You need to be ready to change to new Technologies before you do it. If you just try and force it, all you will do is serious damage to our economy.

We are spending $600 billion dollars a year on foreign oil.

What could be worst than that????

Yawn....
BI - PARTISAN LEGISLATORS CONDEMN SALAZAR ....OIL SHALE
While consumers battle $4-a-gallon Gas prices , a single U.S. Senator is trying to block America from developing Oil shale , an American resource that could single - handedly END America's dependence on expensive foreign oil .

Colorado's Ken Salazar (Democrat) is reportedly trying to use the U. S. Defense Authorization Bill to put Oil shale Development in Colorado , Utah and Wyoming on permanent Hold by blocking Commercial oil shale Leasing on Public lands .

Salazar also plans to use the Defense Authorization Bill to block the efficient development of an estimated, NINE Trillion cubic feet of clean-burning Natural Gas in the U. S. Naval Oil Shale Reserve , located in Western Colorado . That gas is enough to heat Four Million homes for 20 Years .

" I fear that Ken Salazar has been misled by Environmental Extremists who don't seem to care about seeing America come more Energy Independent ", said Wyoming State Senator Bill Vasey (D), Board Chairman of Americans for American Energy (A.A.E.). " The leaders of some of these Groups actually 'want' Consumers to get hit with higher prices , because They believe that this is the only Way to force People to conserve . That's not right .
We should be looking to Increase the supply of American energy for America , which will help reduce the upward pressure on Prices ."

American Solutions - RAND: U.S. Oil Shale Resources Are Three Times Larger Than the Current Oil Reserves in Saudi Arabia
However, Shell Oil has been investing in technology that would make extraction much cheaper than standard pit mining:

Shell Oil Company has successfully conducted small-scale field tests of an insitu process based on slow underground heating via thermal conduction. Larger scale operations are required to establish technical viability, especially with regard to avoiding adverse impacts on groundwater quality. Shell anticipates that, in contrast to the cost estimates for mining and surface retorting, the petroleum products produced by their thermally conductive in-situ method will be competitive at crude oil prices in the mid-$20s per barrel.

The Energy Policy Act of 2005 specifically declared that it was the policy of the United States to recognize oil shale as a strategically important domestic resource. Section 369 states:
DECLARATION OF POLICY.—Congress declares that it is the policy of the United States that—

(1) United States oil shale, tar sands, and other unconventional fuels are strategically important domestic resources that should be developed to reduce the growing dependence of the United States on politically and economically unstable sources of foreign oil imports;

(2) the development of oil shale, tar sands, and other strategic unconventional fuels, for research and commercial development, should be conducted in an environmentally sound manner, using practices that minimize impacts; and

(3) development of those strategic unconventional fuels should occur, with an emphasis on sustainability, to benefit the United States while taking into account affected States and communities.

At least attempt to know what you are talking about ok???

I tend to agree with you on this one.

We are spending $600 billion dollars a year on foreign oil.

What could be worst than that????

Nothing, all the more reason to drill here, oh and according to T Boone its 700 Billion :)

You do know it's your pals in the Democrat party we have to blame for that right. Standing in the way of developing out own resources for years now is why we send so much money over there.

I am totally for developing any viable alternative to oil, But until we do I would like to see us using our own oil and not buying it over seas.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back