Oil company lobbyist spend $175 million to control Congress

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
The oil and gas industry outspent environmentalists nearly eight-fold last year in federal lobbying on climate change legislation, which has failed to pass Congress, a recent report shows.

Environmental groups spent a record $22.4 million lobbying for a bill backed by President Obama to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, according to an analysis by the Center for Responsive Politics, a non-partisan, non-profit research group that tracks money in U.S. politics. The amount was double their lobbying expenditure from 2000 to 2008.

Still, it paled in comparison to the $175 million spent by the oil and gas industry, which opposed the pollution caps that would be required in a bill by Sens. John Kerry, D-Mass. and Joe Lieberman, I-Conn. ExxonMobil alone spent $27.4 million.

Oil lobby's spending blows away environmental groups - Green House - USATODAY.com

The oil and gas industry outspent environmentalists nearly eight-fold last year in federal lobbying on climate change legislation, which has failed to pass Congress, a recent report shows.

Environmental groups spent a record $22.4 million lobbying for a bill backed by President Obama to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, according to an analysis by the Center for Responsive Politics, a non-partisan, non-profit research group that tracks money in U.S. politics. The amount was double their lobbying expenditure from 2000 to 2008.

Still, it paled in comparison to the $175 million spent by the oil and gas industry, which opposed the pollution caps that would be required in a bill by Sens. John Kerry, D-Mass. and Joe Lieberman, I-Conn. ExxonMobil alone spent $27.4 million.

Oil lobby's spending blows away environmental groups - Green House - USATODAY.com

damn republicans just won't do the right thing. :eusa_whistle:

Cons applaud big oil's right to pollute.
Beck bragged that he won't use those reusable bags and instead he double bags everything at the store. What a guy.

Beck bragged that he won't use those reusable bags and instead he double bags everything at the store. What a guy.

tell me, which con is speaker of the house? senate majority leader?

which cons chair the committees that this bill died in?

i'll wait.

OK. And? So?
Unions spend millions of dollars lobbying. So do trial lawyers. So what?
Another troll thread.

As I said in another thread, the oil and gas industry is already the most heavily regulated sector in this country. Why shouldn't they be concerned about legislation that would cost this country much needed energy and jobs?

Chris what exactly is your disdain for the industry? Is it just an easy target so you can put up some links and spout rhetoric?

Stop overregulating their industry with pointless regulations and they wont be trying to control Congress.

The easiest way to get rid of the money is to stop unconstitutional regulations.

The oil companies have been trumped by unions on spending to control Congress.

Just sayin'.

One election cycle alone:

The Democratic majority in Congress, which was elected with the help of $57.6 million in campaign contributions from unions, has pushed measures to increase wages on public projects, ease rules for unionizing workplaces and cut funding for corruption investigators.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2007-09-10-democrats-union_N.htm

Last edited:
The oil companies have been trumped by unions on spending to control Congress.

Just sayin'.

One election cycle alone:

The Democratic majority in Congress, which was elected with the help of $57.6 million in campaign contributions from unions, has pushed measures to increase wages on public projects, ease rules for unionizing workplaces and cut funding for corruption investigators.

Democrats give unions new clout - USATODAY.com

Wondering about your math here...

How is $57 million more than $175 million?

Big deal. I spray aerosol cans out the windows of my suv everyday on the way to work, Crank the heat and the air up to the max in my house at the same time year round and have this odd OCD that makes me flush all of the toilets once per hour. Am I bad?

Stop overregulating their industry with pointless regulations and they wont be trying to control Congress.

The easiest way to get rid of the money is to stop unconstitutional regulations.

Why would getting rid of regulations "get rid of the money"?

The government is bought and paid for. It has been for quite awhile now, and it will continue to be, for the foreseeable future.

Don't vote for any politician who receives oil money. It really is that simple. So many Americans are just so lazy and love to sit around b*tchin about everything. Do some research and don't vote for any politician who received oil money. Problem solved. Just exercise your right to vote. Btw,you do know that the current President has received the most money from BP of any politican in America? The Lamestream Media has of coursed covered for him on this but it is true. So did you vote for this current President? Hmm??

Last edited:
As I said in another thread, the oil and gas industry is already the most heavily regulated sector in this country. Why shouldn't they be concerned about legislation that would cost this country much needed energy and jobs?

Chris what exactly is your disdain for the industry? Is it just an easy target so you can put up some links and spout rhetoric?

How did that regulation work out for us in the Gulf?

How is it working out for us to send $100 billion dollars overseas for oil every year?

How is it working out for us to melt the North Polar ice cap?

How is it working out for us to have the U.S. Senate controlled by greedy corporate lobbyists?

How did that regulation work out for us in the Gulf?

How is it working out for us to send $100 billion dollars overseas for oil every year?

How is it working out for us to melt the North Polar ice cap?

How is it working out for us to have the U.S. Senate controlled by greedy corporate lobbyists?

You're allergic to work? :D

Regulations in the Gulf might be responsible for the thousands of offshore wells that have been drilled to date w/o incident

Produce more oil and gas here, send less money over there.

Reduce consumption, increase efficiencies - burn less. For now, produce it here at home for the sake of security and jobs.

The Democrats hold the reins in the Senate. Think about this in November. Lobbyists lobby. Voters vote.

Forum List

Back