Ohio teen convicted of killing mother over video game

:eusa_eh: Now, you've really gone and mixed up some terminology!

My point was about clinical terminology and I used that pedo example just to be humorous.

There is such a thing as a clinical diagnosis of sexual addiction, but I wouldn't characterize adults lusting after children as merely a preference.

If someone has a sexual addiction that includes a compulsion for sex with children, then it can get really confusing to label the pervert! :lol:
I wouldn't label it a preference, either. Or an addiction. IMO, it is akin to what must be in the heads/souls of rapists. A need to dominate. But I don't really know that much about it.

I don't think a clinical diagnosis of sexual addiction is valid.

They're probably illegal. Or at least what you are trying to accomplish is. :lol:

:confused: They're definitely not illegal.
ALL-DIGITAL TELEVISION IS COMING (AND SOONER THAN YOU THINK!)

The "Digital Television Transition and Public Safety Act of 2005" creates a hard date of February 17, 2009, for the cessation of analog television broadcasts, ushering in the era when all television stations will broadcast entirely in digital. This will have a major impact on public television stations, which operate under a federal mission to provide a free, noncommercial educational television service to all Americans. Meeting our universal service obligation is central to our mission, and APTS is working to ensure that the millions of American households that rely on television broadcast reception do not suffer unnecessary hardship when analog transmissions cease. Please visit The Digital Transition to learn more.
Public Digital Television Issues

I only want the public stations, I swear! :eusa_shifty:

An addiction has a physical dependency on the substance, at least it use to be the definition. Addictions to drugs there is an actual 'need', the body actually becomes more balanced with the substance thus creating the artificial need for it. The mind however is not more balanced with the substance and almost all addictive substances will alter the mind. The withdrawl is actually the body correcting itself without the substance, thus the physical components to withdrawl. However with addiction having become so well known many will simulate these even when the substance is not addictive so mentally you will create and false addiction and withdrawl from almost anything.

The why is simple, you need an excuse for what your obsession. We are a species of excuses now and most refuse to take responsibility for their own actions, so they create the excuse by saying they are addicted to something just to avoid responsibility for their actions.

An addiction has a physical dependency on the substance, at least it use to be the definition. Addictions to drugs there is an actual 'need', the body actually becomes more balanced with the substance thus creating the artificial need for it. The mind however is not more balanced with the substance and almost all addictive substances will alter the mind. The withdrawl is actually the body correcting itself without the substance, thus the physical components to withdrawl. However with addiction having become so well known many will simulate these even when the substance is not addictive so mentally you will create and false addiction and withdrawl from almost anything.

The why is simple, you need an excuse for what your obsession. We are a species of excuses now and most refuse to take responsibility for their own actions, so they create the excuse by saying they are addicted to something just to avoid responsibility for their actions.
That sounds about right. But now that I think about it, I remember reading that obsessive behaviors can actually rewire the brain which makes it harder to quit the obsessive behavior.

I think technically you are correct. The word addiction applies to a real physical need for something, not just an habitual compulsion or obsession.

The distinction is really in the clinical labeling.

You know, sort of like forty year old men lusting after adolescent children are technically not pedophiles, just weirdo perverts. :eusa_whistle:

More than that, the words "idiot" and "moron" used to be regarded as legitimate clinical terms. I suspect they could still be applied to many today. :eusa_whistle:

As for the story, what a lovely "shocker" headline. I wonder what elements are present that we're not being told about.

Forum List

Back