Ohio teen convicted of killing mother over video game

Obsessed, but not addicted. Many obsessions are mistaken for addictions, such as eating. Really though, this whole story shows that people still want to try to push the blame away from those who truly deserve it (been happening too often in the US the last couple decades), the parents are likely the ones who are at fault, if not for teaching the child wrong, for at least not paying enough attention to notice the danger. Luckily only one of those truly to blame was the victim of his first strike, hopefully now the child will be taught better before it become habit.

Obsessed, but not addicted. Many obsessions are mistaken for addictions, such as eating. Really though, this whole story shows that people still want to try to push the blame away from those who truly deserve it (been happening too often in the US the last couple decades), the parents are likely the ones who are at fault, if not for teaching the child wrong, for at least not paying enough attention to notice the danger. Luckily only one of those truly to blame was the victim of his first strike, hopefully now the child will be taught better before it become habit.

Be still my heat .............. Kittyliter, I agree with you! lol

Even the best parenting in the world cannot promise trouble free children.

However, your spot on. Kids need diversity on activities and they need discipline. While teaching them respect, one needs to be deserving of respect.

We may never know what truly lead to all of this, but, clearly the problems were deep and I imagine they extended throughout the family, not just limited to the teen.

Nevertheless, this kid knew right from wrong and must be held accountable.

Like the fact that I think about banging Angelina Jolie at least 5 times a day? Does that qualify as an obsession or addiction?

Many obsessions are mistaken for addictions, such as eating.

There is an addiction to eating. You can actually become addicted to anything, including video games. But there is a line between obsession and addiction, and it is clearly definable as addiction implies a need to do something, whereas obsession is the desire to do it.

No one needs to play video games. They might need to do something to avoid reality...the game is just one way of doing it.

No one needs to play video games. They might need to do something to avoid reality...the game is just one way of doing it.

That seems a bit oversimplistic.

I shall rewrite your post with one obvious alteration...

No one needs to shoot heroin. They might need to do something to avoid reality...the heroin is just one way of doing it.

:eusa_whistle:

That seems a bit oversimplistic.

I shall rewrite your post with one obvious alteration...

No one needs to shoot heroin. They might need to do something to avoid reality...the heroin is just one way of doing it.

:eusa_whistle:
I believe there is an actual physical addiction to heroin. But you're right about one thing, the reasons for doing it are probably the same reasons for playing video games 24/7...avoidance.

I've never seen anyone jonesing for Halo.

I believe there is an actual physical addiction to heroin. But you're right about one thing, the reasons for doing it are probably the same reasons for playing video games 24/7...avoidance.

I've never seen anyone jonesing for Halo.

Must an addiction be physical?

Serious question.

IMO, it must. Otherwise it should be called OCD...and it's easily replaced with some other compulsive behavior.

I think technically you are correct. The word addiction applies to a real physical need for something, not just an habitual compulsion or obsession.

The distinction is really in the clinical labeling.

You know, sort of like forty year old men lusting after adolescent children are technically not pedophiles, just weirdo perverts. :eusa_whistle:

I think technically you are correct. The word addiction applies to a real physical need for something, not just an habitual compulsion or obsession.

The distinction is really in the clinical labeling.

You know, sort of like forty year old men lusting after adolescent children are technically not pedophiles, just weirdo perverts. :eusa_whistle:
I usually am right, not to brag or anything.

But do you really think sexual preferences can be termed an addition? I've never heard that one. Except that nonsense about Bill Clinton being addicted to sex.

I usually am right, not to brag or anything.

But do you really think sexual preferences can be termed an addiction? I've never heard that one. Except that nonsense about Bill Clinton being addicted to sex.

:eusa_eh: Now, you've really gone and mixed up some terminology!

My point was about clinical terminology and I used that pedo example just to be humorous.

There is such a thing as a clinical diagnosis of sexual addiction, but I wouldn't characterize adults lusting after children as merely a preference.

If someone has a sexual addiction that includes a compulsion for sex with children, then it can get really confusing to label the pervert! :lol:

Forum List

Back