Ohio Dems Throwing Gov Candidate Overboard

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Looks like Kasich is getting another four year at the helm of the Buckeye State and his party will be in pretty good shape for all down ballot races as well.

With one of the most lopsided election losses in Ohio history just two months off, it’s difficult to imagine Democrats doing anything to make their plight any worse.

Don’t sell them short.

At one level, the decision by Democratic leaders and campaign funders to essentially abandonCuyahoga County Executive Ed FitzGerald’s campaign for governor makes sense.

FitzGerald’s missteps and questions about his judgment have turned a campaign that was problematic from the outset into one that will result in Gov. John Kasich winning by such a huge margin it will enhance his credentials as a legitimate Republican candidate for president.

Instead of attempting to keep FitzGerald competitive, part of the new Democratic strategy will be to shift resources to election contests for other state offices - attorney general, auditor, secretary of state, and treasurer.

Even Sen. Sherrod Brown has tossed FitzGerald overboard, telling the Dayton Daily News his efforts will “be aimed at the four others on the ticket,” Democrats he described as “about the best group of four candidates that I’ve seen in my 30-plus years in this state in politics.”

In walking away from FitzGerald campaign Ohio Dems risk bigger losses Brent Larkin cleveland.com

Real clear politics is edging towards what even I thought was impossible gains for the GOP six months ago.

A GOP landslide in FL. Rothstein buying judgeships from Crist to avoid state time is beginning to bite really hard and hurting Ds lower down on the ballot. Google some of the ads that are airing so you can be sure I'm not cherry picking. Yesterday Crist was down by two percent.

A GOP landslide in FL. Rothstein buying judgeships from Crist to avoid state time is beginning to bite really hard and hurting Ds lower down on the ballot. Google some of the ads that are airing so you can be sure I'm not cherry picking. Yesterday Crist was down by two percent.

The GOP winning the FL governor race isn't a "gain" it's Scott's re-election....durr durr.

Against anybody but Crist or the idiot the dems ran last time he would lose.

Despite it still not being a "gain"....a single poll with a 2% edge is not a landslide by any measure at all....the Florida governor race is still extremely close.

Crist probably isn't the best candidate but the reality is if you're going to run for statewide office in florida you pretty much have to be right-of-center.

I'm coming up on 40 years of living in FL. Crist started out to the left of Graham (D) and he has gotten worse with time.

I'm coming up on 40 years of living in FL. Crist started out to the left of Graham (D) and he has gotten worse with time.

He's pro-death penalty

He's pro-gun (which includes signing a law that prevents employers from prohibiting employees' bringing firearms to the workplace)

He's wishy washy on abortion, basically just telling people whatever they want to hear about it...definitely not a staunch pro-choice person

He supported the constitutional ban on gay marriage in FL, then later supported same sex marriage...wishy washy yet again...

Fiscally he's moderate, not supporting taxing the rich, but doesn't support entitlement cuts either

Crist is not in anyway "far left" he's as moderate as they come.

Around here he is the picture next to the phrase left of Trotsky.

Yeah, I'm sure in order to be considered "moderate" by you they'd have to be someone like Steve King or Phil Gingrey....but in the reality the rest of us live in Crist is moderate.

To get back on point...yes it does look like the Ohio governor will stay a Republican this time around.

On the brighter side, opportunities for the Democrats seem to be opening up in Kansas, Wisconsin, and even Arizona (Duval has polled ahead of the GOP rival three times for the open seat...)

Forum List

Back