Oh, The Idiots They Turn Out

In 30+ states, republican governors run the education department. In some states, they have run it for two generations of school children.

Is anyone ever going to blame them or just the democrats?

Teacher's unions and advisory committees have direct control of the curriculum.

Do you think Republican governors would insist upon multiculturalism and diversity training in lieu of American History? :auiqs.jpg:

In 30+ states, republican governors run the education department. In some states, they have run it for two generations of school children.

Do you think Republican governors would insist upon multiculturalism and diversity training in lieu of American History? :auiqs.jpg:

There you go again! Unions have zero input into the curriculum.

Why are you so ignorant to repeat disproven talking points?

Unions influence the committees that set curriculum.

No they do not! Why are you so determined to lie? You must be a closet libtard.

DO TOO! :auiqs.jpg:

:party:

Its like mental midget wrestling.

The Governors have a very large role in determining what education our students receive. They have roles in:

Setting the funding
Setting the funding mechanisms
Setting the requirements at the State level
Determining the teacher qualifications

Then in higher education they have another role:

The locations and number of colleges the state supports
The amount of money available for loans and grants
The salaries paid to the faculty

These are just the most obvious points where the 30+ GOP governors have their fingerprints all over the education system.

And, oh yeah, the same voters who elect these folks also elect the local superintendent and the local school board. Unless you’re going to make the lame assed argument that somehow the people vote for Republicans at the State level and democrats at the local level; you have to agree that the local boards/districts also reflect the red state values which, of course, are Anti-Education. But Katy ISD (in Texas of course) did find $3.5 Million Dollars…Not for books or teachers or buses or buildings…Sports Uniforms:

Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 2.33.46 PM.png

$700,000 a year on apparel. Red state values.

DO TOO! :auiqs.jpg:

Pardon me, but what school district were you a teacher in? I served in 8 over 20 years. I think I know the difference in curriculum and standards, which you obviously are clueless about. Unions have zero input. NONE!

The public school system needs a forceful intervention.

Poll: Majority can’t name a single Supreme Court justice

I see that you're getting a good bit of heat for this and I'm glad for it. And as public school teacher I'll tell you why.

If you are 30 years old, say, and do not know a single Supreme Court Justice that is no longer the fault of the public school system. That is now the fault of your own ignorance.

But that you and so many like you continue to fault our education system is only burying us deeper and deeper. It is building a continued narrative that we are deeply incompetent, which is not true. The truth is our society is corroding from the inside out. We are being asked to basically raise children on less and less--including less trust, less money, less respect. No human can do this. No well-equipped human would WANT to. So teachers are bailing. And it's now like the Titanic sinking, the public school system.

So just go on and blame fully grown adults being willfully ignorant on schooling gaps from 15 years ago. You're just making everything worse, but who cares about that anymore? I can hear Nero fiddling from here......

I see that you're getting a good bit of heat for this and I'm glad for it. And as public school teacher I'll tell you why.

If you are 30 years old, say, and do not know a single Supreme Court Justice that is no longer the fault of the public school system. That is now the fault of your own ignorance.

Indeed, but the kids don't know them either, and that IS the fault of the system.

But that you and so many like you continue to fault our education system is only burying us deeper and deeper. It is building a continued narrative that we are deeply incompetent, which is not true.

Results tell. You are judged by the product produced. When nearly half of entering students at two-year schools and a fifth at four-year schools require remedial classes in basic English and math, the problem is with the system. American students' abysmal lack of knowledge of their own history and the function of our system of government places us all in danger.

The truth is our society is corroding from the inside out. We are being asked to basically raise children on less and less--including less trust, less money, less respect. No human can do this. No well-equipped human would WANT to. So teachers are bailing. And it's now like the Titanic sinking, the public school system.

All part of the problem, of course.

Indeed, but the kids don't know them either, and that IS the fault of the system.

But that you and so many like you continue to fault our education system is only burying us deeper and deeper. It is building a continued narrative that we are deeply incompetent, which is not true.

Results tell. You are judged by the product produced. When nearly half of entering students at two-year schools and a fifth at four-year schools require remedial classes in basic English and math, the problem is with the system. American students' abysmal lack of knowledge of their own history and the function of our system of government places us all in danger.

The truth is our society is corroding from the inside out. We are being asked to basically raise children on less and less--including less trust, less money, less respect. No human can do this. No well-equipped human would WANT to. So teachers are bailing. And it's now like the Titanic sinking, the public school system.

First you have to decide what is most important. As others have said, being politically ignorant is sad, but is it as important as reading and being competent at basic math?

Second, I don't disagree that we need to stress American history and government and could do a better job. But in some places in our nation, the truancy rate is astronomical. For instance in the Detroit Public Schools, 57% of students have CHRONIC absenteeism. That's not a teacher problem; that's a parent problem. And of course those stats figure into how students perform on tests, in class, etc. If they're not in class, they're not learning.

Have you ever studied for a test for hours upon hours, taken the test, and a half hour after the exam you couldn't even spell your own name correctly? That is what many students do today. They are like human flash drives. Once you use the information and don't need it anymore, you simply delete it.

I called it "pump and dump". Kids will learn the material for the test, i.e. memorizing the names of the SCOTUS justices, and do exceptionally well on the unit test, but give them a final exam a month later and you might as well have asked them to recite the Gettysburg address without them ever having read it in years.

Even some of my best students would do this and fail their final exams. There is literally no way to retrain their minds to actually store what they consider to be useless information. Yes, it might win them some money on Jeopardy, but it won't get them a date with the hot cheerleader after the game Friday night.

Geese, 70% of adults could not name a single supreme court justice with. most of those being Trumpers. I bet the idiots berating these high schoolers could not tell me know many supreme court justices there are, name a majority of them, or explain how it works. Oh yeah, they will tell after they Google it. What bullshit.

If you think it is so easy, why aren't you a teacher?

Can't you handle all of the great pay, wonderful benefits, and summers off?

Have you ever studied for a test for hours upon hours, taken the test, and a half hour after the exam you couldn't even spell your own name correctly?

Never.

That is what many students do today. They are like human flash drives. Once you use the information and don't need it anymore, you simply delete it.

I called it "pump and dump". Kids will learn the material for the test, i.e. memorizing the names of the SCOTUS justices, and do exceptionally well on the unit test, but give them a final exam a month later and you might as well have asked them to recite the Gettysburg address without them ever having read it in years.

Even some of my best students would do this and fail their final exams. There is literally no way to retrain their minds to actually store what they consider to be useless information. Yes, it might win them some money on Jeopardy, but it won't get them a date with the hot cheerleader after the game Friday night.

Then one can say with confidence that they have been ill-trained, and the results are becoming increasingly obvious.

If you think it is so easy, why aren't you a teacher?

Can't you handle all of the great pay, wonderful benefits, and summers off?

I have been a teacher, though in a different venue. My wife was in the system. and quit to homeschool the boy.

Forum List

Back