Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Urgent Action Alert!
The Upcoming Battle Against Anti-Immigrant Legislation,
And A Call for A National Immigrant Solidarity Movement

May 14, 2006
Folks:

Next week will be a key moment in immigrant rights/civil rights work.

Tomorrow evening (Monday, 5/15), President Bush will deliver a prime time televised address, announcing the deployment of National Guard troops to the U.S-Mexico border. Also at some point in the next two weeks, U.S. Senate leaders are expected to approve parts of the so-called compromise immigrant legislation (such as the HEGAL-MARTINEZ Bill).

This is a critical moment for the immigrant struggle. Despite millions of people across the country on May 1st marching in the streets for immigrant rights, the right wing anti-immigrant forces in Congress and President Bush want to "talk tough on immigration."

We should brace ourselves for the ultimate showdown of the immigrant struggle soon, and we should mobilize ourselves quickly to respond to the racist anti-immigrant xenophobia that will go down.

We suggest organizing the following actions:

1) A local press conference, rally or vigil to denounce the racist anti-immigrant proposals from Congress and the President.

2) Legislative actions, including calling, writing and faxing your elected officials.

3) An emergency community meeting to strategize rapid response to a possible nationwide crackdown or attack on immigrants.

4) We are calling for multi-ethnic, broad-based national mobilization on Memorial Day weekend (5/27-29). Organize creative local actions against the possible passage of any anti-immigrant legislation and further government-sponsored immigrant crackdowns.

We urge you to support the Nine Points for Immigrant Rights, proposed by the Los Angeles March 25th Coalition:

- No to the anti-immigrant HR4437 and any other "copycat" legislation from Congress
- No to militarization of the border
- No to criminalization of immigrant communities
- No to the planned immigrant crackdown across the country
- No to the guest worker program

- Yes to amnesty for undocumented immigrants
- Yes to immigrant family reunification
- Yes to a humane path to citizenship
- Yes to labor rights and living wages for all workers

On May 1st, we showed the world that our force, our strength and our voice cannot be silenced from this moment on! This is the birth of a new civil rights movement for the 21st century, and we will fight for our demands until we prevail.

United We'll Win! Together We'll Achieve Our Dreams!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 11 No HR 4437 Action Alert!
NO DEAL! NO COMPROMISE! NO HAGAL-MARTINEZ!

SEND A FAX OR EMAIL THIS LETTER DIRECTLY
TO SENATOR REID AND MARTINEZ! TODAY!

WHY?
WE WANT REAL JUST AND FAIR IMMIGRATION REFORM.
A FAIR AND JUST PATH TOWARDS CITIZENSHIP
NO ROADBLOCKS AND LOOPHOLES TO DISQUALIFY WORKERS AND THEIR FAMILIES FROM LEGALIZATION!

TO SEND AN EMAIL, JUST SEND IT FROM SENATOR REID'S WEBSITE: THIS WILL TAKE 2 MINUTES

TO SEND A FAX, JUST FAX THE LETTER BELOW TO: 202-224-7327 (FAX #)
HIS OFFICE PHONE: 202-224-3542

TO CONTACT MARTINEZ CALL: Senator Mel Martinez: (202) 224-3041

TO SEND AN EMAIL TO MARTINEZ USE EMAIL FORM ONLINE

Senate Switchboard for other senators: (202) 224-3121

SIGN YOUR NAME AND/OR ORGANIZATION IF YOU HAVE ONE. INCLUDE YOUR ADDRESS.

DON'T WAIT ANOTHER MINUTE, DO THIS TODAY! SAMPLE LETTER BELOW
http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/

Here are the ENEMIES WITHIN...

May Day 2006 - We Have Made History!

Ten Millions Across the Country Take to the Streets to Demand Immigrant Rights!

Lee Siu Hin
National Immigrant Solidarity Network
The May 1st "A Day Without Immigrants" National Movement

Today was one of the most important days in U.S. history: ten millions of immigrants, activists and allies in over 200 cities from across the country chose to skip work, school, and the normal daily routine to participate in "A Day Without Immigrants." We held a national boycott, general strikes, rallies and symbolic actions in order to demand basic rights for all immigrants, and to build a new multi-ethnic united civil rights movement for the 21st century!

This could be the biggest civil rights/social movement ever seen in U.S. history. Millions flooded the streets of Los Angeles and essentially shut down the city.[ In New York City, the Rev. Jesse Jackson, together with one million Latino, African and Asian immigrants marched into the heart of Manhattan. In Chicago, hundreds of thousands mobilized for this May 1st march. We have shown the world that our force, our strength and our voice cannot be silenced from this moment! and we'll fight for our demands until we prevail.

What should the next step be?
This is an historical turning point for us, and we need to keep the momentum going. Over the next three months, we need to gather our strength and build a new, national, broad-based immigrant rights/civil rights movement.

This could include (and is not limited to):
- Holding a national dialogue or conference;
- Creating together a national strategy;
- Forming a new broad-based national immigrant rights/civil rights
organization.

These are just some ideas to consider: we encourage you to come up with more. We welcome everyone to participate in the process and offer us support and feedback, and we'll announce the details within the next few days.

Thanks to everyone who helped make history today. I am proud of you!

United We'll Win! Together We'll Achieve Our Dreams!
http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/

How can a facially neutral statute that any common sense nation would pass to protect its sovereignty be racist? Are Mexico's immigration laws which are far harsher than areas racist as well? Against whom?

Does anyone else believe that we could see some violence? I'm starting to feel that way, reading the crap from that site.

Stephanie said:
4) We are calling for multi-ethnic, broad-based national mobilization on Memorial Day weekend (5/27-29). Organize creative local actions against the possible passage of any anti-immigrant legislation and further government-sponsored immigrant crackdowns.

They have already protested and it backfired. The only thing they accomplished was to get everybody pissed off about illegals coming into the country. I was pretty receptive to amnesty for illegals until one of the protesters at BAMA called me a racist gringo for not protesting with them. On that day they tried to attack our nation. They tried to cripple our economy for one day. That is a hostile action as far as I'm concerned and is equivalant to picking up arms against those under our flag.

My new outlook is that these people are criminals that do not want to abide by the social standards that we require for assimilation into our diverse community. If a person cannot abide by the law when entering our country, how can that person be trusted to abide by our laws once they have been granted amnesty? These people already recieve benefits that I don't even qualify for. The government pays to educate, house, feed, cloth, and medicate these people. These are things that were not given to me when i recieved citizenship almost 26 years ago. My parents had to provide these things with hard work and sweat. I have had to pay my own way through college. The loans are piling up and these people want to be educated for free simply because they jumped a fence? Because their President says we are racist if we don't provide all these things? Screw that. When these people can show that they can abide by the law and work hard, then and only then should they be given the same "hand up" that I have recieved. To hell with amnesty, send them home and build the damn wall.

Any person that protests on Memorial Day should be automatically disqualified for citizenship.

For those that can't comprehend English, I have posted in your native language:

Ellos han protestado ya y esto salió el tiro por la culata. La única cosa que ellos llevaron a cabo era conseguir cada uno enojado lejos sobre emigrantes ilegales que entran en el país. Yo era bastante receptivo a la amnistía para emigrantes ilegales hasta que uno de los protestantes en BAMA me llamara un gringo racista para no protestar con ellos. Durante aquel día ellos trataron de atacar nuestra nación. Ellos trataron de mutilar nuestra economía durante un día. Es una acción hostil por lo que estoy preocupado y es equivalant a recoger armas contra aquellos bajo nuestra bandera.

Mi nueva perspectiva es que esta gente es criminales que no quieren cumplir con los estándares sociales que requerimos para la asimilación en nuestra comunidad diversa. ¿Si una persona no puede cumplir con la ley entrando en nuestro país, cómo pueden confiar en aquella persona para cumplir con nuestras leyes una vez que les han concedido amnistía? Esta gente ya recibe ventajas a las cuales no tengo derecho hasta. Las pagas del gobierno para educar, para alojar, para alimentarse, tela, y tratar a esta gente. Éstos son cosas que no me fueron dadas cuando recibí la ciudadanía hace casi 26 años. Mis padres tuvieron que proveer estas cosas de trabajo difícil y sudor. He tenido que pagar mi propio camino por el colegio. ¿Los préstamos se amontonan y esta gente quiere ser educada gratis simplemente porque ellos brincaron una cerca? ¿Como su presidente dice que somos el racista si no proporcionamos todas estas cosas? Atornille esto. Cuando esta gente puede mostrar que ellos pueden cumplir con la ley y trabajar mucho, entonces y sólo entonces deben ellos ser dejado la misma 'mano' que he recibido. Al diablo con la amnistía, envíeles a casa y construya la pared maldita.

Cualquier persona que protesta en el Día de Conmemoración debería ser automáticamente descalificada para la ciudadanía.

Forum List

Back