Oh Look another thug released

Does this sound like a "witch hunt"? From an earlier AP story, detailing the facts of the prosecution's case:

Prosecutors said Corrales planned the killing from the time he received a phone call the night of June 22 ordering his platoon to go after the insurgents. They said he ordered his platoon to kill all military-age males in the target house.

The platoon met little resistance after breaking into the house with explosives. The soldiers quickly separated the men from the women and children, searched the house and found no weapons. They also started testing the men's hands for traces of explosives to find those who might have handled roadside bombs.

Government witnesses said Corrales grabbed Aswad [the deceased], who tested positive, pushed him outside to the yard of the house and tried to hand him an AK-47.

They said Corrales told Aswad to start running. When the Iraqi didn't, Corrales called the platoon's interpreter to ask him the word for "run" in Arabic and repeated the word in the man's native language.

No prosecution witness said they saw the man being shot.

One witness, platoon member Spc. Franklin Hambrick, testified he saw Corrales aim his M4 rifle at the man, but he turned around to go back inside and only heard shooting after entering the house.

Another witness, Pvt. Christopher Shore, who said he ran out to the yard after hearing shots fired, said Corrales told him to "finish" Aswad. Shore said he fired his weapon, but off to the side. Charged at the same time as Corrales, Shore was convicted of aggravated assault in a February court-martial and is serving a 120-day sentence.

Soldier’s court-martial in death of Iraqi goes to jury
Though I disagree with Taoman's categorical description of soldiers as "thugs", there are thugs in uniform, and the prosecution had good reason to believe Corrales was one of them.

It would seem the Military and it's witch hunt to condemn troops for fighting a war as murderers has met another stone wall.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080426/ap_on_re_us/soldiers_charged

Or as several posters on this board would say " another murderous thug released"

Actually said "poster on this board" is pouting at the moment because he feels it is his Constitutional right to question the authority of US Messageboard.

And he thinks a certain female moderator picks on him.:badgrin:

Anyway, he won't be around for however long it takes him to get over himself, if he ever does.

Does this sound like a "witch hunt"? From an earlier AP story, detailing the facts of the prosecution's case:

Though I disagree with Taoman's categorical description of soldiers as "thugs", there are thugs in uniform, and the prosecution had good reason to believe Corrales was one of them.

By whose version of events? It's the prosecution's job to get a conviction, is it not? And in so doing, they paint the defendant in the worst possible light.

I agree with the decision. If the prosecution cannot prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt, the defendant should not be found guilty.

Do note that I am not making excuses for criminals in uniform who engage in criminal activity. If and when caught, they should be punished for violating the law since for some reason, the criminal element that is present in the military the same as civilian society is used by a certain mindest to represent the entire military.

Killing an unarmed and subdued enemy combatant is murder, and it is a clear violation of military law.

By whose version of events? It's the prosecution's job to get a conviction, is it not? And in so doing, they paint the defendant in the worst possible light.

I agree with the decision. If the prosecution cannot prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt, the defendant should not be found guilty.

Do note that I am not making excuses for criminals in uniform who engage in criminal activity. If and when caught, they should be punished for violating the law since for some reason, the criminal element that is present in the military the same as civilian society is used by a certain mindest to represent the entire military.

Killing an unarmed and subdued enemy combatant is murder, and it is a clear violation of military law.

I feel like I'm having a positive impact on you, gunny.
icon12.gif

My point was that it wasn't a witch hunt, as RGS suggested. And though the prosecutor failed to make her case, she had good cause to bring it. It's tough to get convictions in a combat zone, especially when the witnesses are subordinate to the defendant during the crime.

Your statement of military law is accurate. The conduct alleged is both illegal and immoral. But it is also bad tactics and bad strategy. The victim tested positive for traces of explosives. Had he been questioned instead of killed, his cohorts might have been discovered and taken out as well.

In addition, the conduct alleged undercuts efforts to win the "hearts and minds" of the people. They see a neighbor shot dead in the street, and it fuels hatred of our troops. This hatred fuels the insurgency, and leads to more American deaths in Iraq. I'm not suggesting our troops take more risk, but a heavy-handed, boots-on-the-throat approach to a civilian population hurts our long-term goals.

Actually said "poster on this board" is pouting at the moment because he feels it is his Constitutional right to question the authority of US Messageboard.

And he thinks a certain female moderator picks on him.:badgrin:

Anyway, he won't be around for however long it takes him to get over himself, if he ever does.

Is that where he is? lol...

He thinks I pick on him?!?!?! Bad J, Bad J.... :rofl:

I feel like I'm having a positive impact on you, gunny.
icon12.gif

My point was that it wasn't a witch hunt, as RGS suggested. And though the prosecutor failed to make her case, she had good cause to bring it. It's tough to get convictions in a combat zone, especially when the witnesses are subordinate to the defendant during the crime.

Your statement of military law is accurate. The conduct alleged is both illegal and immoral. But it is also bad tactics and bad strategy. The victim tested positive for traces of explosives. Had he been questioned instead of killed, his cohorts might have been discovered and taken out as well.

In addition, the conduct alleged undercuts efforts to win the "hearts and minds" of the people. They see a neighbor shot dead in the street, and it fuels hatred of our troops. This hatred fuels the insurgency, and leads to more American deaths in Iraq. I'm not suggesting our troops take more risk, but a heavy-handed, boots-on-the-throat approach to a civilian population hurts our long-term goals.

Yeah, it's all YOU. Wouldn't have a THING to do with that 20+ years of active duty in the Marines.:lol:

Agreeing with you annoys me just on general principle but you're on a toll. Twice in one day. I agree with every bit of your reasoning.:eusa_eh:

Oh dearie me, isn't it horrible that the men and women risking their lives in that stinking shithole might get pushed to the limits and snap at times? Put the fucking governments on trial, they make these people what they are (trained killers), then disown them.And yes, I said 'governments' mine included.

I am coming round more to the idea that the servicemen and women should be dealt with exclusively by their own, we can howl at the moon all we want but until we have done what they do as they do it, we should at least reserve judgement.Their job isn't real life as we know it, normal rules do not apply.

Oh dearie me, isn't it horrible that the men and women risking their lives in that stinking shithole might get pushed to the limits and snap at times? Put the fucking governments on trial, they make these people what they are (trained killers), then disown them.And yes, I said 'governments' mine included.

I am coming round more to the idea that the servicemen and women should be dealt with exclusively by their own, we can howl at the moon all we want but until we have done what they do as they do it, we should at least reserve judgement.Their job isn't real life as we know it, normal rules do not apply.

I agree, should be the same for cops as well.

Trying them like they are under normal conditions is bullshit.

I am not condoning killing innocent civilians or even unarmed insurgents, but don't try and judge them in the same environment that we normally live in. A kid in a foreign country that he believed he was coming there to free. Now all those bastards he thought wanted to be freed are trying to kill him. He sees his friend get the shit and guts blown out of him and die. What the hell do they expect? You have to make some kind of allowance when all the fucking rules are gone as far as they can see.

Now the cover up at Abu Graib where only a few bad apples made it happen is a crock of crap to protect the higher ups.

I do hold the government assholes who start these wars when there is no real reason for war to blame. May they all burn in hell if there is one.

Forum List

Back