Oh $h!t We Are Going to Die! The Yellowstone Super Volcano is About To Blow

and , i'd be more concerned with another year without a summer and no growing season like 1815 - 16 . Yellowstone goes off and MANY people will die but disruption of the growing season and many more people will starve and die worldwide especially nowadays , imo .
Yellowstone, or any caldera volcano, would disrupt the growing season far more than Tambora did.
---------------------------- well . i never said anything about 'tambora' , i don't think i did . Point is the disruption of the growing season by a big eruption and a year without a summer or year without a growing season like supposedly happened in 1815 - 16 OldRocks .

I hope it's soon. I've been waiting for this since I first heard about the "super volcano" in grade school. I was kinda hoping for a zombie apocalypse first, but this stupid geyser will have to do.

You and I both!

Hell just one good comet would make me happy!!

Put on REM and sing " It's the end of the World as we know it " !!!

They are trying to calm us down and tell us it isn't serious... but if you have seen the movie "2012" you know that when the super-volcano blows in Yellowstone we are all fucked.

"Yellowstone sits atop a volcano that created a vast crater. Its plateau hosts the world's most diverse and expansive continental hydrothermal systems, including the multicolored springs, mudpots and geysers for which the park is known.

While the Steamboat eruptions are unusual, what would be far more worrying would be the water in the hydrothermal systems drying up, which could indicate that the super hot magma deep below was making its way to the surface."

Unusual eruptions at world's largest active geyser in Yellowstone

Heard about it, so keep our fingers cross but my guess it will happen after I leave this country, and if so, well I will be safe...

Wait I will be on a small Island, oh well it was fun!!!

Toba Eruption Event ... 75,000 years ago a super volcano in Indonesia erupted and triggered a 10 year winter that reduced the global human population to less that 20,000.

Not a movie
------------------------------------------ see the 'year without a summer' , it was 1815 or 16 . Big eruption , there were food riots in Europe if i recall .
Compared to a caldera eruption, Tambora was small beans. Caldera eruption are a couple of orders of magnitudes larger than that eruption.
------------------------------------------------------------ i think that Mount Mazuma was a big one . Total collapse and sinking of the Volcano in Oregon . I checked it out years ago on a trip . Nice country , also checked out Fort KLAMATH while i was there OldRocks .
Yes, Mazama was big. However, that was an eruption of 46 to 58 km^3, whereas the last Yellowstone eruption put out over 1000 km^3 of material.

and , i'd be more concerned with another year without a summer and no growing season like 1815 - 16 . Yellowstone goes off and MANY people will die but disruption of the growing season and many more people will starve and die worldwide especially nowadays , imo .
Yellowstone, or any caldera volcano, would disrupt the growing season far more than Tambora did.
---------------------------- well . i never said anything about 'tambora' , i don't think i did . Point is the disruption of the growing season by a big eruption and a year without a summer or year without a growing season like supposedly happened in 1815 - 16 OldRocks .

Map of unusual cold temperatures in Europe during the summer of 1816
Credit: Creative Commons, authored by Giorgiogp2

The summer of 1816 was not like any summer people could remember. Snow fell in New England. Gloomy, cold rains fell throughout Europe. It was cold and stormy and dark - not at all like typical summer weather. Consequently, 1816 became known in Europe and North America as “The Year Without a Summer.”

Why was the summer of 1816 so different? Why was there so little warmth and sunshine in Europe and North America? The answer could be found on the other side of the planet - at Indonesia’s Mount Tambora.

On April 5, 1815, Mount Tambora,
a volcano, started to rumble with activity. Over the following four months the volcano exploded - the largest volcanic explosion in recorded history. Many people close to the volcano lost their lives in the event. Mount Tambora ejected so much ash and aerosols into the atmosphere that the sky darkened and the Sun was blocked from view. The large particles spewed by the volcano fell to the ground nearby, covering towns with enough ash to collapse homes. There are reports that several feet of ash was floating on the ocean surface in the region. Ships had to plow through it to get from place to place.

Mount Tambora and the Year Without a Summer | UCAR Center for Science Education

Yes you did say something about Mt. Tambora, you just didn't realize it.

nobody is going to die

not because of the super volcano...
When we get a caldera eruption, anywhere on Earth, yes, people are going to die. However, we should get plenty of warning. The worst effect, except for those in the area, will be the effect on agriculture for about 5 years.

yes, well.....the "caldera eruption" will not happen in my lifetime.

what good does that do? lol

It might never happen...so there you go

It will happen... it is just a matter of when... kind of like a meteor hitting Earth.

Maybe. So far we only have evidence of one catastrophic eruption for any one particular Giant Volcanic Caldera.
Simply wrong.

Yellowstone Caldera - Wikipedia

The Yellowstone Caldera is a volcanic caldera and supervolcano in Yellowstone National Park in the Western United States, sometimes referred to as the Yellowstone Supervolcano. The caldera and most of the park are located in the northwest corner of Wyoming. The major features of the caldera measure about 34 by 45 miles (55 by 72 km).[4]

The caldera formed during the last of three supereruptions over the past 2.1 million years: the Huckleberry Ridge eruption 2.1 million years ago (which created the Island Park Caldera and the Huckleberry Ridge Tuff); the Mesa Falls eruption 1.3 million years ago (which created the Henry's Fork Caldera and the Mesa Falls Tuff); and the Lava Creek eruption approximately 630,000 years ago (which created the Yellowstone Caldera and the Lava Creek Tuff).[5

If you object to the source, you can verify the three major eruptions of the present caldera at any site dealing with that caldera.

If you would bother to read your own link each one of those eruptions is from a different caldera eruption. Henry's Fork for instance is in IDAHO! They do all indeed originate from the same Hot Spot as the North American Plate travels over the spot, but each calderic eruption is a SINGULAR event.

150811.new.Yellowstone.rez.sm.jpg

FYI..

This is the amount of magma the U of U and USGS found. If it vents you need to consider it an ELE.

Until the red completely fills up the orange it won't be a problem.
As recall the upper chamber was 90% viscous (non-eruptable) magma in 2011. I have no idea today what the mix % is at.

There's no such thing as non-eruptable magma. Viscosity merely determines what sort of eruption you get. Basaltic magma is low viscosity so you get quiescent eruptions that are relatively safe to anything not in the direct path of the lava. Andesitic volcanism is what Mt. St. Helens can give you. Most of the time the eruptions are violent but localised, but every now and then they blow the mountain to hell. Rhyolitic volcanism is the most viscous, and the most dangerous. It is this type of eruption that is associated with the Giant Volcanic Caldera type eruptions. Occasionally you get a rhyolitic dome eruption, Mt. Lassen in California is an example of that type of eruption.
In the High Lava Plains of Eastern Oregon we have bi-model volcanism, with both basaltic and rhyolitic volcanism. So rhyolitic eruptions, from the Oregon-Idaho Graben to the Eastern edge of the Cascades have been common, leaving deep rholitic ash tuffs, and, as in the Rattlesnake tuff, evidence of very violent and rapid eruptions.

It is not uncommon to have bi-modal volcanism, in fact it is so common as to be the norm. CA as a for instance has andesitic and rhyolitic, with a dose of basaltic thrown in along the Owens Valley.

Soon Mt. Ranier is going to blow too... and Seattle will disappear and MILLIONS of people will die.
No, Seattle will not be that affected. Tacoma, Puyallup, and the towns in the watershed will be, but not Seattle. And on a normal day, the prevailing winds will carry the ash to the East.

You have no way of knowing that. Everything depends on the nature of the eruption, and the wind direction at the time of the eruption.

nobody is going to die

If Yellowstone were to volcanically erupt, the pyroclaustic flow would kill everything in a 100 mile radius within about 12 min.

Large rocks would be thrown 25 + miles. The ash cloud would encircle the earth in about 14 days, temps would drop 6 deg C within 2 weeks globally.

If Yellowstone erupted, life as we know it would cease. Within 2 years earths population could be reduced by 1/3-1/2 due to starvation and freezing to death. And it would most certainly herald the next glacial cycle of 90,000 years...
I guess it would solve the global warming problem.
Temporarily. Caldera volcanoes put a lot of CO2 into the atmosphere. So, in about 5 to 10 years when the dust settles out, we would have a rapid warm up, and a warmer climate than before.

It would certainly be nice if there was empirical evidence of that ever happening. To date all that has been presented are terrible computer models.

When we get a caldera eruption, anywhere on Earth, yes, people are going to die. However, we should get plenty of warning. The worst effect, except for those in the area, will be the effect on agriculture for about 5 years.

It will happen... it is just a matter of when... kind of like a meteor hitting Earth.

Maybe. So far we only have evidence of one catastrophic eruption for any one particular Giant Volcanic Caldera.
Simply wrong.

The Yellowstone Caldera is a volcanic caldera and supervolcano in Yellowstone National Park in the Western United States, sometimes referred to as the Yellowstone Supervolcano. The caldera and most of the park are located in the northwest corner of Wyoming. The major features of the caldera measure about 34 by 45 miles (55 by 72 km).[4]

The caldera formed during the last of three supereruptions over the past 2.1 million years: the Huckleberry Ridge eruption 2.1 million years ago (which created the Island Park Caldera and the Huckleberry Ridge Tuff); the Mesa Falls eruption 1.3 million years ago (which created the Henry's Fork Caldera and the Mesa Falls Tuff); and the Lava Creek eruption approximately 630,000 years ago (which created the Yellowstone Caldera and the Lava Creek Tuff).[5

If you object to the source, you can verify the three major eruptions of the present caldera at any site dealing with that caldera.

If you would bother to read your own link each one of those eruptions is from a different caldera eruption. Henry's Fork for instance is in IDAHO! They do all indeed originate from the same Hot Spot as the North American Plate travels over the spot, but each calderic eruption is a SINGULAR event.
Yellowstone_Caldera_map2.JPG

Look at the first eruption caldera. It overlaps the 2nd and 3rd.

Simply wrong.

Yellowstone_Caldera_map2.JPG

Look at the first eruption caldera. It overlaps the 2nd and 3rd.
The West Thumb was only 174,000 years ago.

150811.new.Yellowstone.rez.sm.jpg

FYI..

This is the amount of magma the U of U and USGS found. If it vents you need to consider it an ELE.

Until the red completely fills up the orange it won't be a problem.
As recall the upper chamber was 90% viscous (non-eruptable) magma in 2011. I have no idea today what the mix % is at.

There's no such thing as non-eruptable magma. Viscosity merely determines what sort of eruption you get. Basaltic magma is low viscosity so you get quiescent eruptions that are relatively safe to anything not in the direct path of the lava. Andesitic volcanism is what Mt. St. Helens can give you. Most of the time the eruptions are violent but localised, but every now and then they blow the mountain to hell. Rhyolitic volcanism is the most viscous, and the most dangerous. It is this type of eruption that is associated with the Giant Volcanic Caldera type eruptions. Occasionally you get a rhyolitic dome eruption, Mt. Lassen in California is an example of that type of eruption.
In the High Lava Plains of Eastern Oregon we have bi-model volcanism, with both basaltic and rhyolitic volcanism. So rhyolitic eruptions, from the Oregon-Idaho Graben to the Eastern edge of the Cascades have been common, leaving deep rholitic ash tuffs, and, as in the Rattlesnake tuff, evidence of very violent and rapid eruptions.

It is not uncommon to have bi-modal volcanism, in fact it is so common as to be the norm. CA as a for instance has andesitic and rhyolitic, with a dose of basaltic thrown in along the Owens Valley.
Bimodal volcanism refers to the eruption of both mafic and felsic lavas from a single volcanic centre with little or no lavas of intermediate composition. This type of volcanism is normally associated with areas of extensional tectonics, particularly rifts.

There is the definition of bimodal volcanism. California has primarily andesite and rhyolite, that is not a bimodal volcanic mix.

Soon Mt. Ranier is going to blow too... and Seattle will disappear and MILLIONS of people will die.
No, Seattle will not be that affected. Tacoma, Puyallup, and the towns in the watershed will be, but not Seattle. And on a normal day, the prevailing winds will carry the ash to the East.

You have no way of knowing that. Everything depends on the nature of the eruption, and the wind direction at the time of the eruption.
Chances are far greater of their being west winds than east winds. Especially at altitude.

If Mt. Ranier blows its top, it will affect Seattle because you will also gets earthquakes and a possible tsunami.
No, you will not get a tsunami from an eruption of Rainer. And unlikely that you will get any damaging quakes. The primary problem will be ash flows and lahars. And there primary affects will be on the area from Enumclaw to Tacaoma.

Given the fact that Mt. Ranier is one of the volcanoes along the Ring of Fire it will do more than you realize.

nobody is going to die

If Yellowstone were to volcanically erupt, the pyroclaustic flow would kill everything in a 100 mile radius within about 12 min.

Large rocks would be thrown 25 + miles. The ash cloud would encircle the earth in about 14 days, temps would drop 6 deg C within 2 weeks globally.

If Yellowstone erupted, life as we know it would cease. Within 2 years earths population could be reduced by 1/3-1/2 due to starvation and freezing to death. And it would most certainly herald the next glacial cycle of 90,000 years...
Temporarily. Caldera volcanoes put a lot of CO2 into the atmosphere. So, in about 5 to 10 years when the dust settles out, we would have a rapid warm up, and a warmer climate than before.
No.

Paleo History shows ice ages followed each of Yellowstone's eruptions.

Most of them Democrats.
Yep, and most of them on welfare.
Funny, asshole. It is you Conservatives that make up the welfare rolls. Just look at the red states and the number of people on welfare in those states. Places like Seattle support you freeloaders.
Sure, asshole. And Washington D.C. is a red state? Oregon? New Mexico?
Now little cocksuck, the facts;

AP FACT CHECK: Blue high-tax states fund red low-tax states

TREASURY SECRETARY STEVEN MNUCHIN:

— “We are getting the federal government out of the business of subsidizing states. That is going to impact high-tax states.”

THE FACTS:

Connecticut residents paid an average of $15,643 per person in federal taxes in 2015, according to a report by the Rockefeller Institute of Government. Massachusetts paid $13,582 per person, New Jersey paid $13,137 and New York paid $12,820.

California residents paid an average of $10,510.

At the other end, Mississippi residents paid an average of $5,740 per person, while West Virginia paid $6,349, Kentucky paid $6,626 and South Carolina paid $6,665.

Low-tax red states also fare better when you take into account federal spending.

Mississippi received $2.13 for every tax dollar the state sent to Washington in 2015, according to the Rockefeller study. West Virginia received $2.07, Kentucky got $1.90 and South Carolina got $1.71.

Meanwhile, New Jersey received 74 cents in federal spending for tax every dollar the state sent to Washington. New York received 81 cents, Connecticut received 82 cents and Massachusetts received 83 cents.
Why is liberal California the poverty capital of America?

FYI- that's the Left Angeles Times saying that.
Have a nice day!

They are trying to calm us down and tell us it isn't serious... but if you have seen the movie "2012" you know that when the super-volcano blows in Yellowstone we are all fucked.

"Yellowstone sits atop a volcano that created a vast crater. Its plateau hosts the world's most diverse and expansive continental hydrothermal systems, including the multicolored springs, mudpots and geysers for which the park is known.

While the Steamboat eruptions are unusual, what would be far more worrying would be the water in the hydrothermal systems drying up, which could indicate that the super hot magma deep below was making its way to the surface."

Unusual eruptions at world's largest active geyser in Yellowstone

Well, good luck!

Most of them Democrats.
Yep, and most of them on welfare.
Funny, asshole. It is you Conservatives that make up the welfare rolls. Just look at the red states and the number of people on welfare in those states. Places like Seattle support you freeloaders.
Sure, asshole. And Washington D.C. is a red state? Oregon? New Mexico?
Now little cocksuck, the facts;

AP FACT CHECK: Blue high-tax states fund red low-tax states

TREASURY SECRETARY STEVEN MNUCHIN:

— “We are getting the federal government out of the business of subsidizing states. That is going to impact high-tax states.”

THE FACTS:

Connecticut residents paid an average of $15,643 per person in federal taxes in 2015, according to a report by the Rockefeller Institute of Government. Massachusetts paid $13,582 per person, New Jersey paid $13,137 and New York paid $12,820.

California residents paid an average of $10,510.

At the other end, Mississippi residents paid an average of $5,740 per person, while West Virginia paid $6,349, Kentucky paid $6,626 and South Carolina paid $6,665.

Low-tax red states also fare better when you take into account federal spending.

Mississippi received $2.13 for every tax dollar the state sent to Washington in 2015, according to the Rockefeller study. West Virginia received $2.07, Kentucky got $1.90 and South Carolina got $1.71.

Meanwhile, New Jersey received 74 cents in federal spending for tax every dollar the state sent to Washington. New York received 81 cents, Connecticut received 82 cents and Massachusetts received 83 cents.
And FYI - AP Factcheck is not an accurate bipartisan go-to source.

nobody is going to die

No.

Paleo History shows ice ages followed each of Yellowstone's eruptions.
Silly Billy when are you going to stop providing the humor on this board by continually pulling stinky 'facts' out of your ass? The caldera eruptions from the Yellowstone Hot Spot started over 16 million years ago, and there were no ice ages following each eruption.

Forum List

Back