Oh For the Love of God, Can Someone Tell Me . . . .

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
. . . . what the hell the default font is for Windows Vista?

The computer did something over night, hubs installed some updates, now the fonts are screwy and I can't get icons to show up on the desktop. Yes, I right click and say 'show on desktop' and . . . .nada.

Blarg. Any halp would be appreciated.

Oh, what's the font for USMB?

the proper font for vista is the one that's never on vista.......:eusa_whistle:

Not sure but Vista Ultimate uses Segoe UI

If that's not it, uninstall the most recent update and reboot the computer.

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that. I just got the defaults from the desktop and changed them on the laptop . . . . but something isn't right with the fonts on the laptop. And that I can't put short-cuts onto the desktop tells me something is funke. :mad: Thx.

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that. I just got the defaults from the desktop and changed them on the laptop . . . . but something isn't right with the fonts on the laptop. And that I can't put short-cuts onto the desktop tells me something is funke. :mad: Thx.

Are you using the Aero theme? That could be your problem with the update. The Vista Aero theme is a poorly written hog and will start creating issues as your system gets older.
My recommendation on the desktop, (for what it's worth) do a clean install of Window 7, if you don't want the hassle of backing up your disc and upgrading to Win 7 and reinstalling you data then buy a hard drive, install it in your number 1 Sata port with your old hard drive in the number 2 port. Load Win 7 on the new HD, your computer will boot to the new hard drive and set up will automatically assign your old HD as the D: drive.
This way you now have 2 drives and can access eveything you have stored on the old HD without fear of losing any data.

Are you using the Aero theme? That could be your problem with the update. The Vista Aero theme is a poorly written hog and will start creating issues as your system gets older.
My recommendation on the desktop, (for what it's worth) do a clean install of Window 7, if you don't want the hassle of backing up your disc and upgrading to Win 7 and reinstalling you data then buy a hard drive, install it in your number 1 Sata port with your old hard drive in the number 2 port. Load Win 7 on the new HD, your computer will boot to the new hard drive and set up will automatically assign your old HD as the D: drive.
This way you now have 2 drives and can access eveything you have stored on the old HD without fear of losing any data.

Don't know what aero theme is and the rest is beyond my capabilities of understanding. lol We're running on Vista anyway, don't want to spend the money to ugrade to 7.

I'm going to do (translate: the hubs will do when he gets home) a restore. Don't know what happened overnight but he said it was screwy this morning and updates were waiting to be installed as well. Don't know what made the font weird but I'm guessing the restore will take care of the problem.

I can't figure out why it won't let me put icons on the desktop. Just trying to put control panel on there and it just doesn't do anything. Also, when I click on the start button all the programs that were pinned there are no longer pinned there, it's just an empty space now. All the programs are there. . . just not pinned into a 'shortcut' column.

I agree with the default font for Vista by another poster...as to USMB? It is 'Verdana'...

I posted this message first in 'arial' first to show the difference, then changed it.

~T

So the first line is Verdana and the second line is airal?

Whatever it is for me it's now kind of 'blocky' and the letters a just a bit too spaced apart. I did try going in and changing the fonts (in Firefox tools) and also changing the advanced settings but still couldn't get the font right. Blarg.

Don't know what aero theme is and the rest is beyond my capabilities of understanding. lol We're running on Vista anyway, don't want to spend the money to ugrade to 7.

I'm going to do (translate: the hubs will do when he gets home) a restore. Don't know what happened overnight but he said it was screwy this morning and updates were waiting to be installed as well. Don't know what made the font weird but I'm guessing the restore will take care of the problem.

I can't figure out why it won't let me put icons on the desktop. Just trying to put control panel on there and it just doesn't do anything. Also, when I click on the start button all the programs that were pinned there are no longer pinned there, it's just an empty space now. All the programs are there. . . just not pinned into a 'shortcut' column.

Aero theme is the clear, see through look on open windows and panels, if you can see the desktop through an open window you have Aero. Right click on the desktop, chose preferences, look for and un-click Aero or click on Classic view depending on how your system is set up.
The other thing getting rid of Aero will do is free up much needed system resources and make your computer faster.

Aero theme is the clear, see through look on open windows and panels, if you can see the desktop through an open window you have Aero. Right click on the desktop, chose preferences, look for and un-click Aero or click on Classic view depending on how your system is set up.
The other thing getting rid of Aero will do is free up much needed system resources and make your computer faster.

Oh I have it set to that. I'll change it to see if it makes any difference. eta: I had it set to transparent, just the border of the page you could 'see through'. Don't know if that's the same thing or not. I changed it and still can't do short cuts on the desktop. <sigh>

If I do a system restore do I have to back anything up first? The hubs seems to think so and he doesn't care about the fonts or that we can't put short cuts on the desktop so the odds are I'm doing the restore. Anything I've read didn't say anything about backing stuff up. Our pics and itunes (well, MY itunes) are backed up. Should I do anything else or just do the restore? I don't think it will mess anything up but dont' know. Thx, Ringel!

Last edited:

Oh I have it set to that. I'll change it to see if it makes any difference. eta: I had it set to transparent, just the border of the page you could 'see through'. Don't know if that's the same thing or not. I changed it and still can't do short cuts on the desktop. <sigh>

If I do a system restore do I have to back anything up first? The hubs seems to think so and he doesn't care about the fonts or that we can't put short cuts on the desktop so the odds are I'm doing the restore. Anything I've read didn't say anything about backing stuff up. Our pics and itunes (well, MY itunes) are backed up. Should I do anything else or just do the restore? I don't think it will mess anything up but dont' know. Thx, Ringel!

Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, scroll down to the bottom of the list and you should see the latest Microsoft update. Hit uninstall and get rid of it then reboot, you shouldn't have to back up anything though it's always a good idea to back up your personal files: saved office files, pictures, etc. fairly frequently. A good external hard drive with at least 500 GBs will cost less than $80. You can also back up you e-mail, address book and bookmarks, there are some very good online "how tos" to guide you if you need them.
If uninstalling the update doesn't fix the issue then back up your personal stuff as a precaution and do the restore because I don't know when the last time you set a restore point was or if Vista did it automatically. Your restore point could be set for the default configuration when you first bought the computer, but I'm not positive about that, I've honestly never used the restore function so I'm not sure what it will do.
The one thing I do is once a year I do a final back up of my files, format the hard drive and do a fresh install, whether it's Windows or Linux, talk about rejuvenating your computer.

Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, scroll down to the bottom of the list and you should see the latest Microsoft update. Hit uninstall and get rid of it then reboot, you shouldn't have to back up anything though it's always a good idea to back up your personal files: saved office files, pictures, etc. fairly frequently. A good external hard drive with at least 500 GBs will cost less than $80. You can also back up you e-mail, address book and bookmarks, there are some very good online "how tos" to guide you if you need them.
If uninstalling the update doesn't fix the issue then back up your personal stuff as a precaution and do the restore because I don't know when the last time you set a restore point was or if Vista did it automatically. Your restore point could be set for the default configuration when you first bought the computer, but I'm not positive about that, I've honestly never used the restore function so I'm not sure what it will do.
The one thing I do is once a year I do a final back up of my files, format the hard drive and do a fresh install, whether it's Windows or Linux, talk about rejuvenating your computer.

Yeah, there's only two new updates and one is for IE9 so I'm going to uninstall them, reboot and hope that fixes the problem.

Oh we do have an external hd . . . a terabyte. Great sale so I picked it up awhile ago. Did the hubs back up his stuff? Noooo. Even after we crashed with the b.s.o.d.? Noooo. :rolleyes:

This is the first chance I've even had to breath over the past few days. Picked up college kid yesterday . . correction, picked up college kid and all of college kid's crap which isn't going back to school in the fall because she's commuting. Lots of college kid crap . . . she has lots of tossing and storing to do. Had to move two sofas out of the family room and am waiting for the new sofas to arrive sometime today.

Uninstalling recent updates didn't do squat. System restore didn't work. Tried it twice and it said it was 'unsuccessful (no changes made) due to an unspecified error'. I even tried to restore it to two different points but it didn't work.

The problem is ONLY on my user account. The hubs user account is fine and I just created a new user account and that's fine. Fonts are fine, adding icons to desktop is fine. So . . . the only fix I can figure is to set up a new user account and move anything from the old one over, including my music library, bookmarks, etc. :mad: :mad: :mad:

*(&#$ (*#$&(#*$ ))_$%*#$(*&%)# Freakin' pain in the ass.

On a brighter note, the sofas came and they are UBBBBBER comfortable and look fantastic.

Uninstalling recent updates didn't do squat. System restore didn't work. Tried it twice and it said it was 'unsuccessful (no changes made) due to an unspecified error'. I even tried to restore it to two different points but it didn't work.

The problem is ONLY on my user account. The hubs user account is fine and I just created a new user account and that's fine. Fonts are fine, adding icons to desktop is fine. So . . . the only fix I can figure is to set up a new user account and move anything from the old one over, including my music library, bookmarks, etc. :mad: :mad: :mad:

*(&#$ (*#$&(#*$ ))_$%*#$(*&%)# Freakin' pain in the ass.

On a brighter note, the sofas came and they are UBBBBBER comfortable and look fantastic.

Well, it obviously changed a setting or corrupted something in your user account that the uninstall and reset failed to correct. I would bet it's an easy fix if we knew where to look but that's the problem, knowing where to look.

People still use Vista?

Sadly yes we do. It was all that was available on my Sony VAIO laptop and I got too good a deal on it to pass it up. Since I retired, I don't do a lot with the Sony other than e-mail, surfing, and playing games and it is working pretty well for that.

But. . . .

As it ages it is developing some 'issues'. So. . . .

If. . . .

I decide to install Windows 7, do I first uninstall Vista and then install Windows 7? Or vice versa? And will I need to reinstall MS Office et al after I install Windows 7?

People still use Vista?

Sadly yes we do. It was all that was available on my Sony VAIO laptop and I got too good a deal on it to pass it up. Since I retired, I don't do a lot with the Sony other than e-mail, surfing, and playing games and it is working pretty well for that.

But. . . .

As it ages it is developing some 'issues'. So. . . .

If. . . .

I decide to install Windows 7, do I first uninstall Vista and then install Windows 7? Or vice versa? And will I need to reinstall MS Office et al after I install Windows 7?

The best policy is never upgrade, always do a clean install, that way you save yourself a lot of potential headaches. I always advocate using an exterior hard drive to back up or "ghost" your existing drive or adding a new internal hard drive which, believe it or not is often ridiculously simple. With a new hard drive you simply reboot your computer with the disc in the optical drive and follow the instructions. With an old drive format then install the new operating system.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obVF-OQ5lAY&feature=related]YouTube - Clean Installing Windows 7 from Hard Disk[/ame]

Forum List

Back