Oh Dear, Abbas Cannot Be 'The Pretty Face'

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/26/i...&en=11558bc07755dca3&ei=5094&partner=homepage

I can't believe the NY Times has been this even handed:
February 26, 2006
Israeli Minister Says Palestinian Leader Is Irrelevant
By GREG MYRE

JERUSALEM, Feb. 26 — Israel's foreign minister said today that Mahmoud Abbas, the president of the Palestinian Authority, was "no longer relevant" in a Palestinian government that will soon be led by the militant Islamic group Hamas.

The remarks by the foreign minister, Tzipi Livni, are consistent with the tough stance Israel has adopted as Hamas prepares to take power, but it is at odds with the efforts by the United States and the European Union to work with Mr. Abbas and to bolster him.

On Saturday, an American envoy, David Welch, met with Mr. Abbas in the West Bank city of Ramallah and expressed support for his leadership.

The Israeli political and security establishment view Mr. Abbas as far too weak politically to counter a cabinet dominated by Hamas, which calls for Israel's destruction.
I cannot believe that NY Times finally printed that!
Ms. Livni told Israeli radio that Mr. Abbas, widely known as Abu Mazen, "cannot serve as the pretty face of ugly terrorism, which is hiding behind him."

"I think it will be a mistake to take comfort in the arms of Abu Mazen as the sole legitimate figure," she said. "The ball is in the Palestinian court now, and the future Hamas government has to do something with it, and Abu Mazen, in this context, is no longer relevant."

Mr. Abbas, who was elected to his post a year ago, remains in office and has a range of powers despite Hamas's sweeping victory in Palestinian parliamentary elections last month.

Mr. Abbas says the new cabinet must accept his program, which is centered on renewing peace negotiations with Israel. Hamas rejects this position and it is not yet clear how the two sides will bridge their differences.

In a related development, the Palestinian prime minister-designate, Ismail Haniya, denied that he had suggested his Hamas movement might recognize Israel or seek a peace agreement with it. In an interview published in The Washington Post today, he reiterated Hamas's position that it would consider a long-term truce with Israel if it withdrew to its 1967 borders, released Palestinian prisoners and accepted the return of Palestinian refugees.

But he also seemed to hint that Hamas might go a bit further. "If Israel withdraws to the '67 borders, then we will establish a peace in stages," he was quoted as saying. "If Israel declares that it will give the Palestinian people a state and give them back all their rights, then we are ready to recognize them."

But Mr. Haniya told reporters in Gaza City today that there were no changes in the Hamas positions. "I did not say anything about recognizing Israel," he said.

Mr. Haniya does not speak English, and the interview with The Washington Post was conducted by telephone, the newspaper said. Hamas officials said they do not believe the translation of his remarks were precise.

The Hamas charter calls for Israel to be destroyed and replaced by an Islamic state.
Again, :shocked:
Israeli officials viewed Mr. Haniya's remarks as part of an effort to gain international legitimacy for Hamas, which has carried out dozens of suicide bombings against Israel and is regarded as a terrorist organization by Israel, the United States and the European Union.

Israel says that before there can be any possibility of dialogue, Hamas must recognize Israel, disavow terrorism and accept previously signed agreements between Israel and the Palestinians...

Forum List

Back