Oh Crap!

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Upstairs toilet overflowed from tank for nearly 2 hours. Just called insurance. Water everywhere, from upstairs to basement. Garage. Lots of drywall, carpeting, and painting.

Adjuster is supposed to call within an hour. Hoping bathtub doesn't fall into garage.

Just realized I left my purse at Thanksgiving house last evening.

That's awful Annie. My husband is a plumber. Two emergency calls from friends last night. Fortunately he was able to talk them through it over the phone.

How could you forget your purse? A little too much eggnog perhaps? lol

call a water restoration service right now....you may be able to save the carpet....pad will have to come out...but they can do amazing things.....if called right away...or just hit the insurance up for full cost....if your insurance agent didnt call them....then go for full replacement

Upstairs toilet overflowed from tank for nearly 2 hours. Just called insurance. Water everywhere, from upstairs to basement. Garage. Lots of drywall, carpeting, and painting.

Adjuster is supposed to call within an hour. Hoping bathtub doesn't fall into garage.

It's probable even crappier than you imagine.

My guess is you will discover that you home owners insurance does't cover WATER DAMAGE.

I got that same shock when my basement flooded a decade or so ago.

Re: insurance and and water damage.

Our basement flooded about 8 years ago due to too much rain and the circuit breaker on the sump pump getting tripped off. Talked to insurance company, nothing covered. Had the cause of the excess water been an interior one, i.e.: water heater leaked, pipe burst, etc., it would have been covered. They said that outside water getting in and causing damage is not covered; inside water causing damage is covered.

My guess is you will discover that you home owners insurance does't cover WATER DAMAGE.

Nope, water damage is covered. "Sudden release of water." Restoration company coming by noon to set up fans and punch drywall, make initial structural estimate. Allstate has already estimated by phone at least $10k. Wednesday the Allstate adjuster will come and give a list of repairs, painting to be done. They told me there is more damage than I can see. Already found the garage and basement were effected.

I'll get the referrals Wednesday or have my own pick be here Wednesday to go over. I'll also get check then and a number to call if costs exceed.

Best part! The mechanism that malfunctioned was less than 10 years old, they are going to try subrogating the deductible to the manufacturer.

Now if I can only get the drywall, ceramic tile, carpeting and painting done by Christmas. :doubt:

Re: insurance and and water damage.

Our basement flooded about 8 years ago due to too much rain and the circuit breaker on the sump pump getting tripped off. Talked to insurance company, nothing covered. Had the cause of the excess water been an interior one, i.e.: water heater leaked, pipe burst, etc., it would have been covered. They said that outside water getting in and causing damage is not covered; inside water causing damage is covered.

That's why I have separate rider for basement flooding. By having sump pump with 2 batteries, (48 hours without electricity), it's less than $100 per year. There is a limit on it, recently upped to $20k.

Last edited:

Nope, water damage is covered. "Sudden release of water." Restoration company coming by noon to set up fans and punch drywall, make initial structural estimate. Allstate has already estimated by phone at least $10k. Wednesday the Allstate adjuster will come and give a list of repairs, painting to be done. They told me there is more damage than I can see. Already found the garage and basement were effected.

I'll get the referrals Wednesday or have my own pick be here Wednesday to go over. I'll also get check then and a number to call if costs exceed.

Best part! The mechanism that malfunctioned was less than 10 years old, they are going to try subrogating the deductible to the manufacturer.

Now if I can only get the drywall, ceramic tile, carpeting and painting done by Christmas. :doubt:

That last part's going to be the killer. Good luck!

call a water restoration service right now....you may be able to save the carpet....pad will have to come out...but they can do amazing things.....if called right away...or just hit the insurance up for full cost....if your insurance agent didnt call them....then go for full replacement

It's going to be 'full replacement,' for entire upstairs, as well as stairway. It's all continuous, so they'll do bedrooms too. In a way this might have been a blessing, as my carpeting was really shot. My agent lives next door and did most of the talking on phone. When we were done and she told me about the upstairs I was like, "Whoa, what about depreciation?" She replied, "And that's why you always carry replacement value." ;)

That's awful Annie. My husband is a plumber. Two emergency calls from friends last night. Fortunately he was able to talk them through it over the phone.

How could you forget your purse? A little too much eggnog perhaps? lol

LOL! Nope, I was good I had to drive. 1 mimosa. Was carrying too many leftovers. Luckily my daughter lives only 3 minutes from hostess, so she'll get it, meet her brother for shopping this evening and he can bring it home.

Almost the exact same thing happened to me a month ago.

Nothing worse than plumbing problems.

Every thanksgiving some weird and bad stuff happens here. 2 years ago, one of my cats died :( He was sixteen.

Last night my dishwasher would not drain the water out. I took it apart and found that the motor is messed up. So I guess I may be looking into buying a new one. Only if I can install it myself :doubt:

Forum List

Back