Oh brother, does it never end?

archangel said:
More likely than not this position will be outsourced or they will bring in someone from India or Pakistan that will gladly take the postition for the lowball wage! So for all of you in here who argue for corporations right to free market trade and outsourcing...this is a prime example of where this is headed...won't be long before they get to the rest of you!

First, Jim is going for an on-location IT support job. Can't outsource an on-location job.

Second, the thread is not about outsourcing, it's about Jim's attempt to get a good job. So please try to keep your ramblings on topic.

Finally heard back from the owner of the communications company and I'm actually quite shocked with his reply.

Mind you, upon our first discussion he told me the salary range was $xx-xx thousand per year. Of course, upon negotiation, I asked for his maximum, and after my 90 day review my asking price exceeded what his range was - but is still WELL below what the current market calls for.

Here is his response after trying to reach him multiple ways through multiple avenues:

"Ah....one wonders, then, why you were responding to opportunities that listed $XXk as the max"

Of course I edited the salary and replaced with XX's but that's not the point. No addressing of my name, no signing of his name, sarcasm & IMO a lack of professionalism. Salary negotiations are a part of business and it's almost expected.

Here is what I replied with:

Mr. XXXXXX,

Honestly, I don't even recall applying via XXXXX.com as per your initial contact with me. When you told me the potential salary range I agreed that was within my range. I've also believed that any position I apply for is somewhat negotiable. My resume and track record show me to be an exemplary employee completely dedicated to any employer I have ever been with. My dedication, honesty, competency & workmanship have never been questioned in over 15 years in the IT field. I believe I have earned the right to show potential employers the value they would get in me and negotiate in good faith.

If this out of range for XXXXXX and the offer remains firm, that is completely understandable and I respect that. It's not as if I committed a crime though and am deserving of sarcasm to what I thought were professional proceedings. Salary negotiations have long been a part of the employment process that I am accustomed to. If this isn't something you have come across before, I apologize for wasting your time.

Needless to say, his lack of communication, sarcasm and attitude lead me to believe my bad luck streak has not yet ended...

jimnyc said:
Finally heard back from the owner of the communications company and I'm actually quite shocked with his reply.

Mind you, upon our first discussion he told me the salary range was $xx-xx thousand per year. Of course, upon negotiation, I asked for his maximum, and after my 90 day review my asking price exceeded what his range was - but is still WELL below what the current market calls for.

Here is his response after trying to reach him multiple ways through multiple avenues:

Of course I edited the salary and replaced with XX's but that's not the point. No addressing of my name, no signing of his name, sarcasm & IMO a lack of professionalism. Salary negotiations are a part of business and it's almost expected.

Here is what I replied with:

Needless to say, his lack of communication, sarcasm and attitude lead me to believe my bad luck streak has not yet ended...

The employers decision had nothing to do with bad luck on your part or your qualifications..It is simply outsourcing of jobs to include insourcing of cheap labor...so many in here have attacked me for this position...and now you are on the receiving end of this travesty! I say strike hard and strike long don't blame the unions, blame greed from Wall Street and CEO's...Quit buying cheap imitations of quality US products at WalMart et al...Buy US autos,US produce,US clothing etc...this will end this abomination of justice!IMHO

gop_jeff said:
First, Jim is going for an on-location IT support job. Can't outsource an on-location job.

Second, the thread is not about outsourcing, it's about Jim's attempt to get a good job. So please try to keep your ramblings on topic.

I added my opinion and opinion only...do you have some advice for Jim...or do you just like to attack me? Ramble on GOP tow the line Jeff!

archangel said:
I added my opinion and opinion only...do you have some advice for Jim...or do you just like to attack me? Ramble on GOP tow the line Jeff!
still the same old same old i see

"Ah....one wonders, then, why you were responding to opportunities that listed $XXk as the max"

Jim, this guy sounds immature and out of his league. You did nothing wrong to counter-offer. All he had to do was politely respond that it wasn't possible to go any higher.

It sounds to me like they really want you for this job, and he is aggravated that you didn't just take the offer.

rtwngAvngr said:
Peck on the cheek? I don't think so! :kiss2:

You're right. How's this:

kussen_in_zetel.gif

Just to add to the picture: Here is the original reply I sent to him about his job offer. You tell me if it was deserving of a one sentence sarcastic reply days later...

I want to extend my gratitude to you once again as well as those at the firm that have taken the time to meet with me.

I hope this offer is open to some negotiation.

As per our original discussion, the salary range for this position was $XX-XXk. With today's market for similar positions, I would like to be at $XXk to start.

My vast experience and years in the IT arena will make me an exceptional fit for this position. I'm extremely confident in my abilities and given time I'm certain you will be more than satisfied with the quality of my work, communication, documentation and willingness to make both XXXXX, and XXXXX, XXXXXXX & XXXXX successful and well supported within the IT department.

Here is what I propose:

1) $XXk per annum to start, throughout the probationary period

-Review period

2) I would expect XXXXX to have certain goals and objectives set for my probationary period. Should all of these goals/requirements be met, and a satisfactory review takes place, I would ask to then be increased to $XXk per annum.

Additionally, is this a salaried or hourly position? I'm also unsure what, if any, sick/personal/holidays are granted to the employee.

Please get back to me at your earliest convenience.

archangel said:
The employers decision had nothing to do with bad luck on your part or your qualifications..It is simply outsourcing of jobs to include insourcing of cheap labor...so many in here have attacked me for this position...and now you are on the receiving end of this travesty! I say strike hard and strike long don't blame the unions, blame greed from Wall Street and CEO's...Quit buying cheap imitations of quality US products at WalMart et al...Buy US autos,US produce,US clothing etc...this will end this abomination of justice!IMHO

This has nothing to do with outsourcing, Wall Street, CEO's or any of that crap. This is simply just an unprofessional gentleman who is trying to get a lot for a little.

Please save your soapbox for the political forums. I'm not complaining, as any advice is good advice to ponder, but your advice doesn't seem to fit in this thread or related to my specific position.

jimnyc said:
This has nothing to do with outsourcing, Wall Street, CEO's or any of that crap. This is simply just an unprofessional gentleman who is trying to get a lot for a little.

Please save your soapbox for the political forums. I'm not complaining, as any advice is good advice to ponder, but your advice doesn't seem to fit in this thread or related to my specific position.

Your right...was just trying to make you feel better(saying not your fault)...just my take on it...sorry I interjected...I will refrain from posting in this type of format!

jimnyc said:

Yes it does, jimmy. They all know tech workers are over a barrell because of the sucking sound of jobs going out of the country, and they, the ceos, the greedy unprofessional gentlemen don't care about sticking it to you when you're down. Don't worry, noones gonna call you a liberal.

Forum List

Back