Oh brother, does it never end?

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
So I did in fact receive an offer via email from the job I've been interviewing for. Unfortunately, they have seriously lowballed me. I expect negotiations and have replied with what I thought was fair for the market and my counter proposal.

I've upped the ante on starting salary as well as asked for additional compensation after my 90 day review period.

Before anyone replies with "you're unemployed, just take it!", let me explain further:

The 'average' 1 bedroom apartment in a 25 mile radius of me in Westchester County is $1200 (and much more if you want a great neighborhood). I currently pay $1625 and everything else within nice complexes and apartment buildings are similarly priced. With luck, you find scattered apartments and 2 family houses more in the 1200-1300 range. So anyway, that makes rent alone 14,400 per year. Approximately 33% taken in taxes. Food, electric, gas, truck payment, gas for truck, doctor, meds, credit cards...

Now, if my marriage dissolves, which it's leaning towards, then the mandatory CS in NYS is 17% of your gross salary. Then I'm also on my own for car and medical insurance which is currently through her. Insurance will be astronomical on both levels.

Needless to say, there is a breaking point. You have a fight between cost of living and your salary. Eventually, if the cost of living wins - you're broke. So that means there IS a certain income level that is necessary to be within this area - and this offer AND my counter offer are both far below this figure.

Why do I need to stay in this area you ask? My son. I will never ever move away from him. But will I have a choice... :(

Anyway, haven't heard back from them regarding my proposal since midday yesterday. They (as well as the firm) don't appear to be spenders when it comes to technology. They are liable to tell me to take a hike, or maybe just not respond. But the part that sucks is that even if they accept I will eventually, and slowly, hit rock bottom once again as my funds slowly dwindle away. Been there, done that... First you start making late payments, then you prioritize which should be paid and wait on the others, your bank account gets lower and lower after paychecks, and then one day you wake up and have no gas and no money and no way to get to work...

I'm still floating aimlessly down shit creek without a paddle, anyone have any advice on how I make it to shore without falling in and getting all smelly? :)

Jim, I think it is perfectly reasonable to make a counter-offer to any job offer. I have always done it, and it usually worked out to my advantage.

But I know you know that it is eaiser to find a job when you already have a job, and the corollary is that you can negotiate from a position of strength when you are already employed. Companies assume that if you are unemployed they can lowball you. I guess what I am trying to say is, if you possibly can, take this job, but keep looking.

Congrats on getting an offer!

jimnyc said:
So I did in fact receive an offer via email from the job I've been interviewing for. Unfortunately, they have seriously lowballed me. I expect negotiations and have replied with what I thought was fair for the market and my counter proposal.

I've upped the ante on starting salary as well as asked for additional compensation after my 90 day review period.

Before anyone replies with "you're unemployed, just take it!", let me explain further:

The 'average' 1 bedroom apartment in a 25 mile radius of me in Westchester County is $1200 (and much more if you want a great neighborhood). I currently pay $1625 and everything else within nice complexes and apartment buildings are similarly priced. With luck, you find scattered apartments and 2 family houses more in the 1200-1300 range. So anyway, that makes rent alone 14,400 per year. Approximately 33% taken in taxes. Food, electric, gas, truck payment, gas for truck, doctor, meds, credit cards...

Now, if my marriage dissolves, which it's leaning towards, then the mandatory CS in NYS is 17% of your gross salary. Then I'm also on my own for car and medical insurance which is currently through her. Insurance will be astronomical on both levels.

Needless to say, there is a breaking point. You have a fight between cost of living and your salary. Eventually, if the cost of living wins - you're broke. So that means there IS a certain income level that is necessary to be within this area - and this offer AND my counter offer are both far below this figure.

Why do I need to stay in this area you ask? My son. I will never ever move away from him. But will I have a choice... :(

Anyway, haven't heard back from them regarding my proposal since midday yesterday. They (as well as the firm) don't appear to be spenders when it comes to technology. They are liable to tell me to take a hike, or maybe just not respond. But the part that sucks is that even if they accept I will eventually, and slowly, hit rock bottom once again as my funds slowly dwindle away. Been there, done that... First you start making late payments, then you prioritize which should be paid and wait on the others, your bank account gets lower and lower after paychecks, and then one day you wake up and have no gas and no money and no way to get to work...

I'm still floating aimlessly down shit creek without a paddle, anyone have any advice on how I make it to shore without falling in and getting all smelly? :)

Shit creek ain't so bad. What've you got, pride or something? All this materialism is satan's control matrix.

rtwngAvngr said:
Shit creek ain't so bad. What've you got, pride or something? All this materialism is satan's control matrix.

All the pride I once had is quickly disappearing! Don't forget, I'm not only posting my misery for our members enjoyment but for anyone with an internet connection. The board members make up about 40% of the traffic here and the rest is guests. They probably don't join when they see what a retard the owner is! LOL

Jim. You need to get hooked up with some illegal mexicans, they sleep 20 to an apartment. You could probably get 3' by 6' section of the floor for pretty cheap.

rtwngAvngr said:
Jim. You need to get hooked up with some illegal mexicans, they sleep 20 to an apartment. You could probably get 3' by 6' section of the floor for pretty cheap.

I was thinking the same thing! Although not much of an upgrade from the refrigerator box I spoke of, at least I'll have a constant source of amusement. I'll bet them filthy bastards would steal all of my Corona's though!

jimnyc said:
I was thinking the same thing! Although not much of an upgrade from the refrigerator box I spoke of, at least I'll have a constant source of amusement. I'll bet them filthy bastards would steal all of my Corona's though!

They're partial to really strong coffe and ganja too. That might be fun.

jimnyc said:
I'll bet them filthy bastards would steal all of my Corona's though!
Doubtful; every mexican I know thinks Corona is the Taco Bell of beer.

But hey, I love Taco Bell!

Jim, if they accept your counter offer take it and continue to search for new employment as if you didn't have a job. This gives you more time to find one that pays correctly for your technical skill.

I'm not very happy right now about the way they are handling this. Actually, I should say 'he', because all of my communication goes through the owner of the small communications company that has the contract at the firm. I emailed him once again yesterday to find out the status, and that was already after I left him a voice message that went unanswered. Neither have been replied to, not even to let me know that it was being looked into, or that the offer was 'firm'. I'm not a big fan of any company that lacks at least the common courtesy of replying and/or having an open door if communication.

I believe negotiations are completely valid and used widely within not only the IT industry but many other as well. I was 100% professional throughout all my interviews, emails and telephone conversations. I gave my all to this particular interview process because I thought they showed great potential for the future and the placement in a firm was a great fit for my background, not to mention that the location was more than ideal.

My first assumption is that he doesn't negotiate and has moved on after receiving my reply. If so, that completely lacks any professionalism whatsoever and quite frankly would be rude as hell, but I'll give a little more time. Keep in mind, they wanted their candidate to start on Monday. In other words, time is of the essence and not hearing back or being ignored doesn't reflect that. 48 hours without any reply or even an acknowledgement of receiving ANY of my communication doesn't smell very well!

Oh well. :(

jimnyc said:
I'm not very happy right now about the way they are handling this. Actually, I should say 'he', because all of my communication goes through the owner of the small communications company that has the contract at the firm. I emailed him once again yesterday to find out the status, and that was already after I left him a voice message that went unanswered. Neither have been replied to, not even to let me know that it was being looked into, or that the offer was 'firm'. I'm not a big fan of any company that lacks at least the common courtesy of replying and/or having an open door if communication.

I believe negotiations are completely valid and used widely within not only the IT industry but many other as well. I was 100% professional throughout all my interviews, emails and telephone conversations. I gave my all to this particular interview process because I thought they showed great potential for the future and the placement in a firm was a great fit for my background, not to mention that the location was more than ideal.

My first assumption is that he doesn't negotiate and has moved on after receiving my reply. If so, that completely lacks any professionalism whatsoever and quite frankly would be rude as hell, but I'll give a little more time. Keep in mind, they wanted their candidate to start on Monday. In other words, time is of the essence and not hearing back or being ignored doesn't reflect that. 48 hours without any reply or even an acknowledgement of receiving ANY of my communication doesn't smell very well!

Oh well. :(

People are fucking assholes. The satanic influence that passes as wisdom these days is: Morality is for suckers.

Jim, maybe they're making you sweat it out to see if you will back down? It's not nice, but, maybe you'll still get the job?

Hey Jim sorry about my heavy dose of devil talk early in the morning. I'm just in a pissed off and righteous place these days.

rtwngAvngr said:
Hey Jim sorry about my heavy dose of devil talk early in the morning. I'm just in a pissed off and righteous place these days.

I hear you. Sometimes it all just gets to me, too, and I go into my "people suck" mode for a while.
I'm pretty sure they always do, but sometimes I don't notice it as much as other times. :2guns:

:blowup:

Abbey Normal said:
I hear you. Sometimes it all just gets to me, too, and I go into my "people suck" mode for a while.
I'm pretty sure they always do, but sometimes I don't notice it as much as other times. :2guns:

Testify, sister! Testify!

More likely than not this position will be outsourced or they will bring in someone from India or Pakistan that will gladly take the postition for the lowball wage! So for all of you in here who argue for corporations right to free market trade and outsourcing...this is a prime example of where this is headed...won't be long before they get to the rest of you!

rtwngAvngr said:
Testify, sister! Testify!

246.gif

:beer:

Abbey Normal said:

i heard that. being in the position im in having to deal with customers in their own houses. i dont know if i have super vision or they are blind. people do suck most of the time.

well Jim, i know you have probably heard this before, but it does get better.
but if you want to come to Iowa and get a low paying job, we have a lower cost of living!

Man, I remember being in those situations. It really does suck to seek gameful employ in this world anymore. Thats why I work for myself! I don't work in the field I want but I don't commute, don't answer to anyone and best of all I can't remember the last time someone other than ME controlled my destiny.

Good luck pal!

Forum List

Back