Officials Try To Take Baby - Dad Is Convicted Sex Offender

Abbey Normal said:
There are many activities for which we weigh risk versus benefit. The way housing is spread out in the US today, driving is a necessity for many people. Answering your door to kids trick-or-treating is not. And btw, parents take lots of precuations on Halloween to protect their kids form being hit by a car. Flashlights, walking in groups, etc. Unfortunately, there are no flashlights tp protect kids from sexual predators.

That is also the reason we often permanently take away licenses of drunk drivers. Even though they've already "served their time", they are at high risk for recidivism.

But the bottom line is, of all the things that could happen to my child, having her raped and killled by sexual predator is the worst imaginable, for her and for us. I think most parents would agree. And that is why all other comparisons are flawed.

Let's take it a step farther even.

Bob is a convicted pedophile. He served his sentence and is living down the street. Bob is also truly sorry for his actions.

Bob knows he is ill; his desire for children is abnormal and hasas received counseling.

Bob is repentent and doesn't want to do this again; he understands the damage he has done to the victims, their family and society.

I would think that Bob would have no problem not participating in the Halloween festivities. If anything, just out of respect for the neighborhood, his victims, etc.

On the other hand, if pedophile starts complaining because he can't be around kids, I would be very uneasy about that.

The proverbial "Red Flag."

Abbey Normal said:
There are many activities for which we weigh risk versus benefit. The way housing is spread out in the US today, driving is a necessity for many people. Answering your door to kids trick-or-treating is not. And btw, parents take lots of precuations on Halloween to protect their kids from being hit by a car. Flashlights, walking in groups, etc. Unfortunately, there are no flashlights tp protect kids from sexual predators.

That is also the reason we often permanently take away licenses of drunk drivers. Even though they've already "served their time", they are at high risk for recidivism.

But the bottom line is, of all the things that could happen to my child, having her raped and killled by sexual predator is the worst imaginable, for her and for us. I think most parents would agree. And that is why all other comparisons are flawed.
You sound like a Mom, not an Attorney.
But I understand that.

Abbey Normal said:
Sexist!

(just kidding) :D

Yes, the mom element is there, but that does not take away the fact that my arguments are founded on logic as well.
Oh I know...We do have the answer here..But to apply them, we must tread slowly with caution, and temper emotion with logic, and logic with realitie, to the end.

Forum List

Back