[OFFICIAL SOFTWARE UPGRADE] Help and Bug Thread

Hi,

I've tried to embed Youtube videos a number of times but only one attempt worked. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I've found that simply posting the video url will make it show up in the post. I don't click on any icons.
In my experience, copying the URL, just puts the text of the URL in the post as a link. That works fine if that's that's what you want.
That is true but in the reply box there is a small icon that looks like a piece of film stip that opens a box you past your link in (2 to the right of the smilies icon). That is the simplest method. Basically it just adds the syntax around the url that needs to be there for you.
Hi,

I've tried to embed Youtube videos a number of times but only one attempt worked. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I've found that simply posting the video url will make it show up in the post. I don't click on any icons.
In my experience, copying the URL, just puts the text of the URL in the post as a link. That works fine if that's that's what you want.
That is true but in the reply box there is a small icon that looks like a piece of film stip that opens a box you past your link in (2 to the right of the smilies icon). That is the simplest method. Basically it just adds the syntax around the url that needs to be there for you.

My problem is that I don't have any kind of BB code editor on the reply boxes at USMB except when I access through AOL when I use this computer. If I use Google or Firefox or IE or DuckDuckGo, all I get is an empty reply box with no way to use the quote feature or add a photo or whatever unless I physically type the bb code myself. And I don't know how to fix that. It doesn't happen on my laptop or at any other message board site. Everything works perfectly if I use AOL to access the board.

I would really like to know how to fix the problem. It is very annoying and makes the board less fun. And AOL has been so wonky lately that I hate using it all the time when other browsers are so much faster.
Regardless of the web browser that you are using, you should be able right click on a Youtube video to bring up a menu then click on copy image url form the displayed menu. This opens box a box containing the image url. Then all you have to do is right click on the displayed image url and select copy. Then in your post click on the little film strip to open a dialog box, right on the text area and select copy from the menu then click on embed. That should embed the image url in your post in your post. I've never had any problem using different browsers. I'm running Windows 7 from a desktop and a laptop.

Hi,

Hi,

My problem is that I don't have any kind of BB code editor on the reply boxes at USMB except when I access through AOL when I use this computer. If I use Google or Firefox or IE or DuckDuckGo, all I get is an empty reply box with no way to use the quote feature or add a photo or whatever unless I physically type the bb code myself. And I don't know how to fix that. It doesn't happen on my laptop or at any other message board site. Everything works perfectly if I use AOL to access the board.

I would really like to know how to fix the problem. It is very annoying and makes the board less fun. And AOL has been so wonky lately that I hate using it all the time when other browsers are so much faster.
Regardless of the web browser that you are using, you should be able right click on a Youtube video to bring up a menu then click on copy image url form the displayed menu. This opens box a box containing the image url. Then all you have to do is right click on the displayed image url and select copy. Then in your post click on the little film strip to open a dialog box, right on the text area and select copy from the menu then click on embed. That should embed the image url in your post in your post. I've never had any problem using different browsers. I'm running Windows 7 from a deskto/p and a laptop.

I know how to post videos and photos, use the quote feature and all the other features on the bbcode editor. What I'm saying is that on this computer (my laptop) the bbcodes shows up to use. On the computer I use most often, however, the coding buttons don't show up at all in the reply box. There is nothing at all to click on. Any coding I use has to be typed. The reply box is a totally empty box that I can type in and post reply, but there are no buttons of any kind to use.

Hi,

Regardless of the web browser that you are using, you should be able right click on a Youtube video to bring up a menu then click on copy image url form the displayed menu. This opens box a box containing the image url. Then all you have to do is right click on the displayed image url and select copy. Then in your post click on the little film strip to open a dialog box, right on the text area and select copy from the menu then click on embed. That should embed the image url in your post in your post. I've never had any problem using different browsers. I'm running Windows 7 from a deskto/p and a laptop.

I know how to post videos and photos, use the quote feature and all the other features on the bbcode editor. What I'm saying is that on this computer (my laptop) the bbcodes shows up to use. On the computer I use most often, however, the coding buttons don't show up at all in the reply box. There is nothing at all to click on. Any coding I use has to be typed. The reply box is a totally empty box that I can type in and post reply, but there are no buttons of any kind to use.

Foxy!

Look for your name in the upper right hand corner. Place your mouse over it and a pop up menu comes up. Look for "Preferences" and make sure "Use Rich Text Editor" is checked.

Make sure you scroll to the bottom and save your changes.

Foxy!

Look for your name in the upper right hand corner. Place your mouse over it and a pop up menu comes up. Look for "Preferences" and make sure "Use Rich Text Editor" is checked.

Make sure you scroll to the bottom and save your changes.

Okay maybe that's it. I didn't know about that. It is checked on this computer. When I get back to my PC I will check there. Thanks Ernie.

Hi,

It sounds like you don't have the rich text editor turned on. Go to your account, select preference, check "Use rich text editor to create and edit messages", then click save. It that doesn't fix it, I have no idea.

That's what Ernie suggested, Flopper. But I'm on the 'problem' computer now and the rich text editor IS turned on but the bbcode still does not show up anywhere on Google Chrome, Firefox, IE, or DuckDuckGo and the little button to turn on the bbcode editor is also missing. It does show up if I access USMB through AOL. I do not have the the problem on any other board I visit--only here at USMB and only on this computer. Very perplexing and frustrating.

That's what Ernie suggested, Flopper. But I'm on the 'problem' computer now and the rich text editor IS turned on but the bbcode still does not show up anywhere on Google Chrome, Firefox, IE, or DuckDuckGo and the little button to turn on the bbcode editor is also missing. It does show up if I access USMB through AOL. I do not have the the problem on any other board I visit--only here at USMB and only on this computer. Very perplexing and frustrating.
The other boards, may not use this text editor.
I'm using Chrome and Windows 7 and the rich text works fine. You probably have some software or option set in your computer that is incompatible with this program. I would see if anyone knows what the requirements are to use this text editor. Is Java required? Are there any known conflicts?
I found this forum on the software I think USMB uses. You might want to search on text editor to see if you can find anything.

Search Results for Query Rich Text Editor XenForo Community

Last edited:
cereal_killer

When I type in this box below the thread posts at the bottom of the page, then change my mind and delete what I wrote, the software remembers what I wrote and it reappears in the text box when I go to another page in the thread. Is there a way to turn that off?

cereal_killer

When I type in this box below the thread posts at the bottom of the page, then change my mind and delete what I wrote, the software remembers what I wrote and it reappears in the text box when I go to another page in the thread. Is there a way to turn that off?

yes toro, delete the text then click on the little icon that looks like a floppy disk (blue) then click on delete draft , then when you come back it will not reappear

Toro yes there is...... delete what you wrote and choose 'delete draft' See below:

Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 12.45.58 PM.png

There is another annoying thing that has to do with text.

Sometimes, the software confuses the sizes and other formatting. It tries to be smart but sometimes its behavior is different in similar situations. Just paste a big bold headline and it might happen that the following text, if pasted or written, will be the same: big and bold. Sometimes, not always.

Sometimes, the software confuses the sizes and other formatting. It tries to be smart but sometimes its behavior is different in similar situations. Just paste a big bold headline and it might happen that the following text, if pasted or written, will be the same: big and bold. Sometimes, not always.

That is related to how it is formatted where you copied it from rather than a function of this board's software.

That is related to how it is formatted where you copied it from rather than a function of this board's software.
Then, the further text would not adopt the headline´s formatting.

Forum List

Back