Official: Manning released

namvet

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
across the pond
just saw his press conference. a choked up goodbye to Indy. the moving vans full a $$$ should be backing up to his home

They cut him before the dough was to be paid. On one hand, you can't blame him... but on the other hand. Now Indy gets to go through (with less drama and probably more class) what Green Bay did when Favre was let go... I mean retired, then unretired.... then... aw fuckit we don't know what the hell he's up to.

Unless there is some serious questions answered on the neck, he may be unofficially retired at this point.

peyton_in_mia.jpg

He would look good in a skins uniform,they could use a guy like him and snyder has the cash.

Probably the most respected local Eagles reporter, Ray Didinger:

Here is my short list of likely landing spots:

Washington
The Redskins have finished last in the NFC East four years in a row, which does not sit well with owner Daniel Snyder. Coach Mike Shanahan has suffered through two miserable seasons with Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman and John Beck. The last time Shanahan had any real success, it was with an all-time great quarterback, John Elway. If Shanahan is going to get back on top – and he knows the clock is ticking – he may decide he needs another great veteran quarterback to get him there. If it is just a matter of money (and it is) expect the Redskins to be among the most active bidders.

New York Jets
The Jets are coming off an 8-8 season that was almost as disappointing as the Eagles’ 8-8 season. Coach Rex Ryan promised a Super Bowl and delivered a Broadway flop. Yes, the Jets have a lot invested in Mark Sanchez, but the young quarterback took a major step back last season and now some in the organization are questioning whether he has what it takes to win it all. The Jets also have to contend with the Giants strutting around town as Super Bowl champs so they may want to make a big splash if only to become relevant again. Bringing in Peyton Manning to share the big stage with little brother Eli would do it.

Miami
Owner Stephen Ross likes stars. His minority partners include Marc Anthony, Gloria Estefan and Serena Williams. Trouble is those stars are sitting next to him in the owner’s box. He needs stars on the field, stars that will sell tickets and restore interest in the team. Manning would do that. Since Dan Marino retired in 1999, the Dolphins have started 16 different quarterbacks – try to name more than five, I dare you – and the team has gone nowhere. That would change if they signed Manning.

Arizona
A few years ago, the Cardinals brought in a veteran quarterback named Kurt Warner and, suddenly, they became a contender. They went to a Super Bowl and came within one Ben Roethlisberger drive of winning it all. The team still has some good pieces –notably wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald – and it plays its games in a comfy dome (which Peyton likes) and coach Ken Whisenhunt probably looks at Manning and sees the Kurt Warner scenario all over again. But the team made a big commitment to Kevin Kolb last year and still have a lot of money tied up with him. Would that keep the Cardinals from making a move?

San Francisco
Often mentioned as a destination, I just don’t know how likely it is. The 49ers have a championship-caliber defense and some good weapons on the offense (Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, maybe Michael Crabtree). They also have a dynamic coach in Jim Harbaugh (who just happens to be the quarterback Peyton Manning replaced in Indianapolis). Plug a healthy Manning in at quarterback and the 49ers become a real Super Bowl threat.

Kansas City
A sleeper. The Chiefs did something similar years ago when they traded for Joe Montana and the future Hall of Famer took them to the AFC title game and might have won it if he didn’t suffer a concussion late in the first half against Buffalo. The Chiefs have a good defense, weapons on offense (Dwayne Bowe, Jamaal Charles, Jon Baldwin) and the laid-back American Heartland feel of Kansas City is very much like Indianapolis where Manning was quite happy. He really isn’t a big city kind of guy.

Eagles
OK, I knew you were waiting for this one. No, I don’t think the Eagles are in the running here. I believe they are committed to Michael Vick for at least one more year and that’s that.

But…

If Jeff Lurie really is the risk-taking, outside-the-box owner that he professes to be, he should sit down with his cabinet today and say, “Let’s talk about this.” You don’t get the chance to bid on an all-time great quarterback very often and when you haven’t won a championship in more than half a century – and your team has made a habit of coming up just short year after year – then you have to seriously discuss this.

Peyton Manning would take ownership of this offense in a way no quarterback in the Andy Reid era could. That could very well make it better in the critical fourth quarter, clock-ticking-down moments when the Eagles so often break down. All those wasted timeouts, all those valuable seconds lost with the quarterback waiting for the play to come in from the sideline, it all would be a thing of the past with Manning running the show.

The fact that Howard Mudd is here as offensive line coach, a man who spent a decade drawing up protections for Manning in Indianapolis, is another strong argument on the side of pursuing him.

If I were the Eagles, I would do it and not because it would get the fans excited and not because it would sell a lot of No. 18 jerseys, but because it makes a lot of football sense. At least it does to me.

Washington
The Redskins have finished last in the NFC East four years in a row, which does not sit well with owner Daniel Snyder. Coach Mike Shanahan has suffered through two miserable seasons with Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman and John Beck. The last time Shanahan had any real success, it was with an all-time great quarterback, John Elway. If Shanahan is going to get back on top – and he knows the clock is ticking – he may decide he needs another great veteran quarterback to get him there. If it is just a matter of money (and it is) expect the Redskins to be among the most active bidders.

New York Jets
The Jets are coming off an 8-8 season that was almost as disappointing as the Eagles’ 8-8 season. Coach Rex Ryan promised a Super Bowl and delivered a Broadway flop. Yes, the Jets have a lot invested in Mark Sanchez, but the young quarterback took a major step back last season and now some in the organization are questioning whether he has what it takes to win it all. The Jets also have to contend with the Giants strutting around town as Super Bowl champs so they may want to make a big splash if only to become relevant again. Bringing in Peyton Manning to share the big stage with little brother Eli would do it.

Miami
Owner Stephen Ross likes stars. His minority partners include Marc Anthony, Gloria Estefan and Serena Williams. Trouble is those stars are sitting next to him in the owner’s box. He needs stars on the field, stars that will sell tickets and restore interest in the team. Manning would do that. Since Dan Marino retired in 1999, the Dolphins have started 16 different quarterbacks – try to name more than five, I dare you – and the team has gone nowhere. That would change if they signed Manning.

Arizona
A few years ago, the Cardinals brought in a veteran quarterback named Kurt Warner and, suddenly, they became a contender. They went to a Super Bowl and came within one Ben Roethlisberger drive of winning it all. The team still has some good pieces –notably wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald – and it plays its games in a comfy dome (which Peyton likes) and coach Ken Whisenhunt probably looks at Manning and sees the Kurt Warner scenario all over again. But the team made a big commitment to Kevin Kolb last year and still have a lot of money tied up with him. Would that keep the Cardinals from making a move?

San Francisco
Often mentioned as a destination, I just don’t know how likely it is. The 49ers have a championship-caliber defense and some good weapons on the offense (Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, maybe Michael Crabtree). They also have a dynamic coach in Jim Harbaugh (who just happens to be the quarterback Peyton Manning replaced in Indianapolis). Plug a healthy Manning in at quarterback and the 49ers become a real Super Bowl threat.

Kansas City
A sleeper. The Chiefs did something similar years ago when they traded for Joe Montana and the future Hall of Famer took them to the AFC title game and might have won it if he didn’t suffer a concussion late in the first half against Buffalo. The Chiefs have a good defense, weapons on offense (Dwayne Bowe, Jamaal Charles, Jon Baldwin) and the laid-back American Heartland feel of Kansas City is very much like Indianapolis where Manning was quite happy. He really isn’t a big city kind of guy.

Eagles
OK, I knew you were waiting for this one. No, I don’t think the Eagles are in the running here. I believe they are committed to Michael Vick for at least one more year and that’s that.

But…

If Jeff Lurie really is the risk-taking, outside-the-box owner that he professes to be, he should sit down with his cabinet today and say, “Let’s talk about this.” You don’t get the chance to bid on an all-time great quarterback very often and when you haven’t won a championship in more than half a century – and your team has made a habit of coming up just short year after year – then you have to seriously discuss this.

Peyton Manning would take ownership of this offense in a way no quarterback in the Andy Reid era could. That could very well make it better in the critical fourth quarter, clock-ticking-down moments when the Eagles so often break down. All those wasted timeouts, all those valuable seconds lost with the quarterback waiting for the play to come in from the sideline, it all would be a thing of the past with Manning running the show.

The fact that Howard Mudd is here as offensive line coach, a man who spent a decade drawing up protections for Manning in Indianapolis, is another strong argument on the side of pursuing him.

If I were the Eagles, I would do it and not because it would get the fans excited and not because it would sell a lot of No. 18 jerseys, but because it makes a lot of football sense. At least it does to me.

Where I would like to see him go

San Francisco- they were a heartbeat from getting to the SuperBowl last year in spite of an offense built around Alex Smith not screwing up. Best D in football

Houston- a great defense and one of the best receivers in football. SuperBowl Ready

Miami- Young team that would be playoff caliber but no where near the SuperBowl

Arizona- Nice climate, Larry Fitzgerald but can't beat the Niners

Where I don't want him to go..

Washington- Dan Snyder is an asshole
Jets- Rex Ryan is an asshole

Last edited:
What about Minnesota? Dallas wouldn't surprise me either, they're not as in love with Romo as they used to be. And JJ is crazy to win, he'll spend money out the gazoo to build a contender this year.

49ers is the most logical option.

I don't know about that....Most teams would not be anxious to get rid of a QB that brought them to the Super Bowl.

Miami.

Who Led the 49ers to the SuperBowl?

The 49ers win on defense and special teams. The offense is built around not having Alex Smith make important throws. Put Manning with Crabtree, Davis and a Frank Gore running game and you have a tough team to beat

A two to three year window with Manning could get them a Championship. After that, replacing an Alex Smith is not that hard

Washington

New York Jets

Miami

Arizona

San Francisco

Kansas City

Eagles

But…

If his #1 motivation is to get back to the Super Bowl, San Francisco looks like the best bet.

Forum List

Back