Official English & Pronunciation for the USA

mattskramer

Apr 11, 2004
Texas
I communicate with a great many hospital staff members on a daily basis. Sometimes it is very difficult for me to understand what some hospital employees are saying. Some people have very very thick accents. Even though I consider myself to be a moderate Libertarian, sometimes I think that there should be a law - a standard pronunciation exam given to US citizens. If you can't speak clearly and properly enough for the "average" person to understand, go back to school or back to your "native" land until you speak English more fluently and clearly. Once in a while, after a busy day at work, I really feel this way.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I give credit to those who try though. We have far too many people here who refuse to even learn the English language!

I definitely think people should have to speak english in this country. I dont think we should be wasting tax payers' money on translating every single written word into other languages. I also think that literacy and proper speech should be required to work for governments and proper reason for not hiring people.

However, accents are another matter.

I'm from the south and will never give up my drawl, ya'll.

The plant I work at offers extra pay to those that are bi-lingual. I was asked if I spoke another language fluintly. I replied that I speak Northern, Southern and a little bit of western.:D

Actually, the issue is that if we DON'T maintain an English standard of language, the productivity and uniformity of the nation will suffer. Like any company, if the processes are not laid out and everyone on the same page, you CAN'T have things going smoothly.

Granted, that is the way government was designed with the branches able to check and balance, and tie up legislation so government doesn't run rampant. -But as far as citizens go, if you cannot stick to one uniform code of operation, all else flies out the window.

I've taught a couple college writing classes, and it's hard enough getting AMERICAN students to speak and write correctly, let alone foreigners. On the other hand, I've known some students from Italy and Russia with a better grasp of the language. Guess it all depends, though I imagine communication is, literally, vital in a hospital. (forgive the pun)

Originally posted by clumzgirl
I've taught a couple college writing classes, and it's hard enough getting AMERICAN students to speak and write correctly, let alone foreigners. On the other hand, I've known some students from Italy and Russia with a better grasp of the language. Guess it all depends, though I imagine communication is, literally, vital in a hospital. (forgive the pun)

I think learning anything is relational to desire, not intelligence.

The ability to learn is exponentially enhanced and produces better neurological pathways when desire is present. Americans are too "fat and lazy" to give serious effort. -In addition to most having improper home environments.

People from other nations tend to have more traditional work ethic and put forth effort with desire to achieve their goals.

Originally posted by Moi
I definitely think people should have to speak english in this country. I dont think we should be wasting tax payers' money on translating every single written word into other languages.

By the year 2050, and possibly much sooner(I forget the exact projected date), there will be more people living in the United States that speak Spanish as a first language than English.

I think we all need to adapt to that fact. The language we speak is all about communication, more than anything else, and I support any efforts to help people communicate with others more effectively.

Originally posted by Moi
I also think that literacy and proper speech should be required to work for governments and proper reason for not hiring people.

Um... yeah, literacy IS a requirement for most government jobs I know of. This is quite a broad spectrum though, covering waste management to the town council. Does that mean you want your Trash Collector to be just as literate as your Governor?:p:

Originally posted by nycflasher
By the year 2050, and possibly much sooner(I forget the exact projected date), there will be more people living in the United States that speak Spanish as a first language than English.

I think we all need to adapt to that fact. The language we speak is all about communication, more than anything else, and I support any efforts to help people communicate with others more effectively.

You are talking about throwing away the national language in place of another.

Out of respect for our fondational documents alone, the idea would be assinine. We need to stop the pandering and force the national language as a requirement for citizenship, as it once was.

Originally posted by jon_forward
The plant I work at offers extra pay to those that are bi-lingual. I was asked if I spoke another language fluintly. I replied that I speak Northern, Southern and a little bit of western.:D

He-he. No kidding!
I know foreigners that are easier to understand than some Americans.

I speak a little urban jive, some country bumpkin', some suburban bullshit and a little bit of yodelay-ee-hoo...

Originally posted by NewGuy
You are talking about throwing away the national language in place of another.

Out of respect for our fondational documents alone, the idea would be assinine. We need to stop the pandering and force the national language as a requirement for citizenship, as it once was.

I was re-reading my post and realized I didn't mention what I thought of the place of the English language in this society. I suppose that I feel strongly about retaining our national language. However, I also feel strongly about the possible promotion of bilingualism as it can benefit a multilingual nation... the majority of which speaks(will speak) Spanish as a first language.

When a six year old kid shows up to school and can't understand the teacher who can't understand them... whose problem is it? If they are a citizen... I suggest that it is OUR problem. We need to be in the business of education, and bilingualism plays a vital role in this. What do you think?

Originally posted by mattskramer
I communicate with a great many hospital staff members on a daily basis. Sometimes it is very difficult for me to understand what some hospital employees are saying. Some people have very very thick accents. Even though I consider myself to be a moderate Libertarian, sometimes I think that there should be a law - a standard pronunciation exam given to US citizens. If you can't speak clearly and properly enough for the "average" person to understand, go back to school or back to your "native" land until you speak English more fluently and clearly. Once in a while, after a busy day at work, I really feel this way.

All in all... I hear ya. Sucks not to be able to understand people. Communication will continue to be one of the biggest global challenges we face... even in our own country!

When a six year old kid shows up to school and can't understand the teacher who can't understand them... whose problem is it? If they are a citizen... I suggest that it is OUR problem. We need to be in the business of education, and bilingualism plays a vital role in this. What do you think?

1. This nation was founded as one where citizens were the ones in power and in charge. We gave government the power to perform tasks. The citizens held responsibility to make the country go while the government put policies in place like a process czar. The government had no job but to provide for the group what the citizens COULD NOT individually do.

By this account it is not the job of government, but parents.

2. If a family has an issue with laziness and has a kid who grows up to the age of 16 and won't work, but decides to be a leech the rest of his life, whose responsibility is that? -The nation? It is the same problem. The founding of our nation was such that you "work or starve". As such, economics of supply and demand would dictate that the more you contribute and the greater your contribution to society, the more you earn. In other words, there is not room for laziness and nobody has an excuse unless they are physically cripple in which case churches or other private charities take over.

By this account, it is parental responsibility.

3. When our nation was founded, everyone from all walks of life agreed that the set of rules to play by was utilizing a common language, a common standard law, standard policies and proceedures according to federal, state and local issues. It was commonly understood that if everyone kept 1 standard way of doing things, all could be fluent in that way of doing things. 2 ways causes chaos, and lack of productivity. Parents mostly home schooled and morals and ethics were taught mostly by parents. All families realized the way they raised their kids would shape their nation. They did not want their nation shaping their kids.

By this account, it is parental responsibility.

When it comes down to it, the only reason for any other approach is simple laziness and pandering. Ask any hard working ethical immigrated citizen. They will agree. I have known many. The point is simple. Americans need to quit accepting the "hand out" and "gimme, gimme, gimme" philosophy from government and get off their lazy butts and take back ownership of their nation to restore it to the greatness it once had.

Americans need to quit accepting the "hand out" and "gimme, gimme, gimme" philosophy from government and get off their lazy butts and take back ownership of their nation to restore it to the greatness it once had.

When was that, before or after we were a slave-owning nation?

When was that, before or after we were a slave-owning nation?
:)
Good point.

We fouled up our starting point with that whole situation. The slave thing has never been valid Constitutionally yet stood forever. As a result, we have exploited blacks, natives, and chinese to an immense extent. We still keep doing this in part with various affirmative action laws and strategic placement of tobacco and alcohol within reach of these minorities more so than whites.

The problem is that we keep causing our own issue.

The thing is that until we decide to change, we can do nothing. It is making that decision that starts the ball rolling to adress the other issues and make it a complete solution. We could do far more with far less.....government.

:)
Good point.

We fouled up our starting point with that whole situation. The slave thing has never been valid Constitutionally yet stood forever. As a result, we have exploited blacks, natives, and chinese to an immense extent. We still keep doing this in part with various affirmative action laws and strategic placement of tobacco and alcohol within reach of these minorities more so than whites.

The problem is that we keep causing our own issue.

The thing is that until we decide to change, we can do nothing. It is making that decision that starts the ball rolling to adress the other issues and make it a complete solution. We could do far more with far less.....government.

It's all very complicated, indeed. I grew up in the city (two actually NY,NY and Hartford, CT) so I suppose I'm especially sensitive to the bilingual thing as there is a large Spanish-speaking population in these cities.

I won't argue with less government though. If things go my way, our Governor here in CT will be impeached soon because he wanted to live like a Fat Cat even though he was doing/could have done quite well as a champion of the people. I'm all for encouraging people to be more responsible for their own welfare.

The problem is, as I see it, that things are so fucked up (especially when you are impoverished) that government support is needed. Man I tell ya... rundown projects, AIDS, crack babies, staggering teenage pregnancy rates, etc.

That is why I believe strongly in education, which in some cases requires US to speak another language than English.

I understand where you are coming from though, maybe we can reach some common ground in the future ;-)

Peace.

It's all very complicated, indeed. I grew up in the city (two actually NY,NY and Hartford, CT) so I suppose I'm especially sensitive to the bilingual thing as there is a large Spanish-speaking population in these cities.

I won't argue with less government though.

I'm all for encouraging people to be more responsible for their own welfare.

The problem is, as I see it, that things are so fucked up (especially when you are impoverished) that government support is needed. Man I tell ya... rundown projects, AIDS, crack babies, staggering teenage pregnancy rates, etc.

That is why I believe strongly in education, which in some cases requires US to speak another language than English.

I understand where you are coming from though, maybe we can reach some common ground in the future ;-)

Peace.

What do you think about a private solution instead of a government solution?

Forum List

Back