Official Apologizes For Saying Bush Should Be Shot Between Eyes

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Stephanie, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    HOLY #### Their true feelings slipped out in his speech... VERY UGLY

POSTED: 2:27 pm EDT June 1, 2006
    UPDATED: 3:57 pm EDT June 1, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

NEW YORK -- State Comptroller Alan Hevesi publicly apologized Thursday for a "beyond dumb" remark about "putting a bullet between the president's eyes."

Hevesi hastily called a mea culpa press conference hours after putting his foot in his mouth at the Queens College commencement.

The Queens College media relations office said it had videotaped the commencement but could not immediately provide a copy of the tape or a transcript.

At the press conference, a contrite Hevesi repeated what he recalled saying in the speech. The comptroller said he was merely trying to convey that Sen. Charles Schumer has strength and courage to stand up to the president.

"I apologize to the president of the United States" as well as to Schumer, said Hevesi. "I am not a person of violence."

"I am apologizing as abjectly as I can. There is no excuse for it. It was beyond dumb."

Hevesi said he hadn't been in touch with the White House but he hoped his apology reached President Bush.

Hevesi also called his comments "remarkably stupid" and "incredibly moronic."

"I do speak extemporaneously," he said. "And I've never said anything like this.

http://www.wnbc.com/politics/9306297/detail.html

2. Stephanie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    N.Y. Democrat Official: “Bullet Between President’s Eyes”

NEW YORK--New York State Comptroller Alan Hevesi is in hot water for making remarks about "putting a bullet between the president's eyes" a day after promising that fellow democrats would “murder” republicans.
    According to WNBC, Hevesi, a democrat, was speaking at the Queens College commencement at the time of the remarks, along with U.S. Senator Charles “Chuck” Schumer.

A member of the audience, blogging at Free Republic, reports that Hevesi, referring to Schumer, said the Senator would "put a bullet between the President's eyes if he could get away with it."

There were a fair number of gasps…It slightly seemed that he caught himself and then said, "Well, he's a really tough guy" or something along those lines -- trying to put the remark in context.
    Shortly after Thursday's event, Hevesi issued an apology, claiming that “he was merely trying to convey that Sen. Charles Schumer has strength and courage to stand up to the president.”

Schumer did not immediately condemn Hevesi's remarks.

Hevesi’s comments came only a day after he was nominated to run for a second term at the state democratic convention Wednesday in Buffalo. In accepting the nomination he said “We’re going to murder the Republicans.”

His republican opponent, J. Christopher Callaghan, has blasted Hevesi’s remarks.

"Threats against the president are no joke and this incident raises real concerns about Alan Hevesi's fitness to hold public office, Callaghan said during his acceptance speech at the Republican state convention on Long Island.

As Comptroller, Hevesi is the state’s chief fiscal officer, charged with auditing government operations, managing the State's assets and overseeing the fiscal affairs of local governments, including New York City.

This is one scary guy..:eek:
    http://www.federalreview.com/2006/06/ny-democrat-official-bullet-between.htm

3. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    well he apologized then, so he didnt mean it. All is well. :rolleyes:

4. Stephanie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    I bet the ole spin machine is smoking trying to bury this one..

5. red states rule

red states rule Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    The party of tolerance and civility shows its true colors once again

6. T-Bor

T-Bor Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +101
    What it really shows to me is that ALOT of people really hate this president more than any other president in history. The hatred towards Bush is widespread, he has no one to blame but himself for the terrible decisions he has made during his presidency.

7. red states rule

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572

It shows me how unhinged the kook left has become. They are the biggest bunch of spoiled brat losers I have ever seen
    They cannot win elections so they have to lash out at the man who has beaten them in 3 national elections
    The folks are seeing the Dems meltdown in front of their eyes. I for one love watching it.
    There is nothing I enjoy more then seeing a lame liberal break out in mouth frothing hysteria and insert their foot in their mouth

8. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    :wtf: So, it's OK for Democrats to say such things -- which are against the law btw -- just as long as they apologize afterwards? And no Congressional hearings either?

Just let any Republican say something similar...they'd all be tarred and feathered in a nanosecond. Where is the Republican response to this outrage?

9. red states rule

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    I remember how the liberal media played the story with a Republican called Clinton a scumbag. It was non stop for about 4 days
    Dems were screaming for him resign from Congress
    This clod breaks the law (is making a comment like that a felony?) and he gets a pass
    Oh, the liberal media giving a liberal pass - nothing new

10. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    What this whole situation really points out though is the ridiculous irrational hatred of Bush. It's one thing to disagree with his politics or his decisions, but comments like that prove they just hate Bush period. And two... the liberals are so duplicitous they demanded Trent Lott step down for making a passing comment about race to a hundred year old ex senator. But Hevesi keeps his job, and doesn't get charged with making threats against a president. Fu@kin amazing!!!