Official 2010 Baseball Thread

I'm a little surprised that the Sox are starting Beckett instead of Lester opening day. I fully expect Lester to be their number 1 ace this year. I guess Tito doesn't want to bruise Beckett's ego, what with the contract talks and everything.

Tito is loyal to a fault and Beckett is the leader of that staff.

Didn't he give Lester the ball in game 1 of the ALDS last year?

He did ... Beckett was also still straightening himself out after a terrible August and Lester had been dealing for weeks at the time.

That is a lot of cash for a guy so inconsistant.

It's basically the same deal the Yanks gave AJ Burnett.
AJ isn't the #1 on NY though.

True but I think Beckett is better than Burnett and I think we both agree that Lester is the real "ace" of the Red Sox staff and that CC is better than all of them.

This is how I see the top 5 Red Sox/Yankee pitchers:

1. CC
2. Lester
3. Beckett
4. Lackey
5. Burnett

capt.9cf162515db641cab36231c2db40a085-9cf162515db641cab36231c2db40a085-0.jpg

Tito is loyal to a fault and Beckett is the leader of that staff.

Didn't he give Lester the ball in game 1 of the ALDS last year?

He did ... Beckett was also still straightening himself out after a terrible August and Lester had been dealing for weeks at the time.

Yeah, who gets the ball in game 1 of a playoff series has way more to do with technicals like that, than who gets the ball on opening day. Opening day tends to be more political, and there's a hell of a lot more margin for error. Losing game 1 of the season doesn't mean shit compared to losing game 1 of the playoffs. I think Charlie started Brett Myers 2 seasons in a row on opening day, when Hamels was clearly better.

It's basically the same deal the Yanks gave AJ Burnett.
AJ isn't the #1 on NY though.

True but I think Beckett is better than Burnett and I think we both agree that Lester is the real "ace" of the Red Sox staff and that CC is better than all of them.

This is how I see the top 5 Red Sox/Yankee pitchers:

1. CC
2. Lester
3. Beckett
4. Lackey
5. Burnett
I don't believe AJ is even really NY's #2, although he rotation wise.

Petit is the better big game pitcher.

The difference between NY and Boston's staff is really not there, I give it mulligan on whether either staff is better, Boston has some real questions marks at 4 and 5 (aging knucklballer & injured walk machine) whereas NY has a top guy at #4 and a virtually untried kid at #5.

Bullpens are basically the same also, so it comes down to hitting and defense, so NY gets the edge in both, the bottom of Boston's BO could be a disaster with the oft injured Drew, a light hitting 3B Beltre, Cameron and his strikeouts and good ol Marco Scutaro.

Let's look postion by postion:

1B Tex Vs Youk
Edge NY: Better power hitter, switch hitter and gold glover vs better hitter for average and good defense

2B Cano Vs Pedroia
Edge Even: Both can field, both can flat out hit, Pedroia the better clutch hitter, cano the better power hitter

SS Jeets Vs Marco
Edge NY: Hall of famer beats out journeyman, not close

3B Arod Vs Beltre
Edge NY: Another no brainer, light hitting beltre may be a better fileder then Arod, but not by much, hitting its no contest

Catcher Posada Vs Martinez
Edge NY: Jorge better defensively, is aging but still has good power and hits for average. Martinez is no glove man, liability behind plate

CF Granderson Vs Cameron
Edge NY: 20 year old switch hitter with power vs aging veteran strikout king.

LF Gardner vs Ellsbury
Edge Boston: No brainer, unproven speedster vs veteran .300 hitter speedster

RF Swisher vs Drew
Edge even: If Drew ever stood healthy he would win easily, but that is the ticket, isn't it

DH Johnson vs big Papi
Edge Boston: Even though aging and lower BA, Big Papi still had the long ball and RBIs, oft injured Nick not a power hitter, but will get on base

Last edited:
Opening day tomorrow, boys!

I'll be working but I'll DVR it and watch it as soon as I get home. It'll be tempting to want to listen to it on the radio, but fuck that shit. That would be a waste of my favorite day of the year.

I'll be working but I'll DVR it and watch it as soon as I get home. It'll be tempting to want to listen to it on the radio, but fuck that shit. That would be a waste of my favorite day of the year.
Wrongo Paulie, its about 25 minutes away.

NY vs Boston, be there or be square.

Wrongo Paulie, its about 25 minutes away.

NY vs Boston, be there or be square.

I meant my opening day, but I will of course be watching tonight.

Dustin mutha fuckin' Pedroia!!!

That's my boy!!!

Excellent.

However, all of the fears that the Sox wouldn't have any offensive firepower are coming true...only 7 runs in 7 innings.

That is an average of only ONE run per inning.

Hooray!!!

I hope the Yankees lost. I'm a Tiger but enjoy watching both the Redsox & Yankees when they are on tv because both are good teams. The difference is that I'm always rooting against the Yankees and for the Redsox. Unless they are playing the Tigers of course. But I will always root for Curtis Granderson.

Did the Yankees lose? I hope so. The announcers on ESPN all just said they pick the Yankees to repeat this year. Why would they say that if Boston won? GULP. I changed the channel and forgot to go back. Please tell me the Yankees lost! I'm checking sportscenter but they are taking forever!!! Damn you American Pickers for being interesting!

Hooray!!!

I hope the Yankees lost. I'm a Tiger but enjoy watching both the Redsox & Yankees when they are on tv because both are good teams. The difference is that I'm always rooting against the Yankees and for the Redsox. Unless they are playing the Tigers of course. But I will always root for Curtis Granderson.

Did the Yankees lose? I hope so. The announcers on ESPN all just said they pick the Yankees to repeat this year. Why would they say that if Boston won? GULP. I changed the channel and forgot to go back. Please tell me the Yankees lost! I'm checking sportscenter but they are taking forever!!! Damn you American Pickers for being interesting!

Settle down, Beavis, the Yankees lost.

NY losses 9-7 as poor bullpen work blew leads all night.

Just like last year, when NY lost its first 8 to boston, NY lead in the 6th and the bullpen blew it.

AJ is next, on tuesday.

Gotta say I don't agree with Tito running out Ortiz against CC. We have Lowell to DH when facing tough lefties.

Forum List

Back