Official 10% Unemployment Rate is Really Almost 22%

I respectfully disagree Toro. U6 counts those looking for work and those who had jobs, but have now stopped looking. In other words it is a full count of those who used to work and those looking. That is a more accurate number in relation to the Great Depression. Also, the Depression had a rate between 20 and 25% at its height.

U6 also includes those who are employed part-time.

U6 definition

* U1: Percentage of labor force unemployed 15 weeks or longer.
* U2: Percentage of labor force who lost jobs or completed temporary work.
* U3: Official unemployment rate per ILO definition.
* U4: U3 + "discouraged workers", or those who have stopped looking for work because current economic conditions make them believe that no work is available for them.
* U5: U4 + other "marginally attached workers", or "loosely attached workers", or those who "would like" and are able to work, but have not looked for work recently.
* U6: U5 + Part time workers who want to work full time, but cannot due to economic reasons.

Unemployment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"At the business trough in 1933," Mr. Darda points out, "the unemployment rate stood at 25% (if there had been a 'U6' version of labor underutilization then, it likely would have been about 44% vs. 16.8% today. . . )

What's next? | The Economist

I wasn't following that from before. Thanks for the clarification. Looks like I was refering to a U4 measure more than the U6. Locally, i think we experienced a Great Depression like year. Our Unemployment was at 19% for awhile. Doubling that for a U6 would have been a pretty reasonable number. Fortunately, that seems to ahve reversed itself and we are headed out of the lead in this category.

First you don't inherit an economy from the president. Presidents can do nothing about the economy that is congress's doing and Congress under the democrats stonewalled any and all the Bush administrations attempts - beginning as early as 2003 - to head of the housing bubble. Bush didn't take credit for crap.

2nd this is neither Bush's nor Obama's economy it is Harry and Nancy's economy. Ignoramuses blame presidents for the economy. Smart and knowlegeable people look at those who hold the purse strings.

Last edited:
I was watching an interview with an economist this morning. He was stating that the actual unemployment rate is now over 20%; but the government is keeping the official rate at about 10%. Further, they have changed the definition of a job. Now a job is counted if it has been authorized even though there is no funding for it. Or, if there is an intention to create new positions or somebody might be hiring, it is counted as a job the administration has created or saved. New jobs no longer mean that somebody who wasn't working before is now working or somebody started up a new business or expanded an existing one and actually hired more people.

So, I went looking for more information about that and found this:

Unemployment Officially At 10% … But It’s Really 21.9%
Friday, January 8th

It’s that time again. This morning, the Department of Labor released the official statistics for U.S. unemployment last month. And just as the Obama administration promised, things are getting better. Right?

Wrong.

Optimists were looking for the first signs of net job creation last month since 2007. At worst, they were hoping for the jobless rate to hold steady at 10.0%. And the worst is what is what they got.

The official unemployment rate for December remained unchanged at 10.0% at a time when the Obama administration really, really could have used some good news to offset all the bad news and screw-ups lately. No progress on the job front. Zip. The streak of monthly job losses is extended one more month to now total 24, with no sign things are getting better. And the only public event on the President’s calendar today is an afternoon statement to the press on joblessness.

It will be interesting to see if he again says, “the buck stops here.” For all too many Americans, the buck is stopping before it gets into their hands to pay the bills, buy food and pay for other necessities.

But before the spin hits the fan, here’s the really bleak news that you won’t hear the President talking about this afternoon. The real unemployment rate–the rate as it used to be calculated before the Clinton administration decided in 1994 that it all depended on what “unemployed” meant, actually crept upwards in December.

The more accurate unemployment rate, also released this morning by the Department of Labor, rose from 17.2% in November to 17.3% in December. And that is at a time when seasonal, temporary jobs for the holidays should have taken a lot of people off the unemployment rolls at least temporarily.

As I’ve reported before, the “official” unemployment rate bears about as much relationship to the true number of people who are unemployed in America as the Climate Research Unit’s fraudulent “global warming” data bears to the real average temperature people have been experiencing the last ten years. The unemployment numbers given out by the government are less than 50% of the actual number of people who are unemployed in this country.

A picture is worth a thousand words, so here’s a chart, courtesy of John Williams, of American Business Analytics and Research and Shadowstats.com and reproduced with his permission, that shows how bad unemployment in the land of Hope and Change® really is:

aaaunemploymentchart.gif

The lowest, red line on the chart is the official number the administration and the mainstream media will be talking about today. It is called the U3 rate. The middle, gray line is also an official government number–but one that President Obama, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid would just as soon you never knew about. That is the U6 rate. First, let me explain the difference between these two official government figures and why nearly everything you hear today on the news about unemployment is basically going to be a lie. I’ll talk about the highest, blue line afterward.

MORE HERE:
Unemployment Officially At 10% … But It’s Really 21.9% - malbis’s blog - RedState

Wow! That's Great Depression numbers. Who knew we had that many people out of work and on the streets....even more since the population is greater today.

The highest during the great depression was 28%.

These figures do not surprise me in the least. 17.2 of this population is currently under employed--holding part-time jobs--& looking for full time. The average working week is now down to 31 hours per week. The unemployment stats never show how many Americans have just given up on finding a job.

This is the 1st time in history where an administration is trying to count "saved jobs"--:lol::lol:--while the thousands of lay-offs continue.

Have you been to Home Depot, Lowe's or department stores lately? They're literally vacant of customers.

I kind of find it hard to stomache that we have to PAY OFF AMERICANS to employ fellow AMERICANS!!!!

I assume this is the tax credit that Harry Reid proposed--to give employers $3000 to get out there & hire somebody.

Don't worry--I am a small business employer--& I am not going to hire someone to sit around & twiddle their thumbs so I can get some kind of tax credit.

What's missing in this equation from this genius President--congress--& administration. What they don't seem to get? Employers need demand for their goods & services before they hire anyone. There is no DEMAND for goods & services & that is why this economy is in the tank.

First you don't inherit an economy from the president. Presidents can do nothing about the economy that is congress's doing and Congress under the democrats stonewalled any and all the Bush administrations attempts - beginning as early as 2003 - to head of the housing bubble. Bush didn't take credit for crap.

2nd this is neither Bush's nor Obama's economy it is Harry and Nancy's economy. Ignoramuses blame presidents for the economy. Smart and knowlegeable people look at those who hold the purse strings.

You've got it 1/2 right. What you're missing is that it is the federal government that got us all into this mess in the 1st place.

AIG--Fannie/Freddie were deregulated in the 1990's under the Clinton administration. Whereby--our federal government banking boards thought it would be a great idea to co-sign our names to 50% of the mortgages in this country--while lowering lending requirements--using sub-prime mortgages to loan money to people who could never re-pay the loan. Wall Street bought these mortgage backed securities up & started trading them in the black hole called the derivitives markets. Courtesy of the Federal Government they built a house of cards that collapsed--leaving the American tax payer holding the bag.

I kind of find it hard to stomache that we have to PAY OFF AMERICANS to employ fellow AMERICANS!!!!

I assume this is the tax credit that Harry Reid proposed--to give employers $3000 to get out there & hire somebody.

Don't worry--I am a small business employer--& I am not going to hire someone to sit around & twiddle their thumbs so I can get some kind of tax credit.

What's missing in this equation from this genius President--congress--& administration. What they don't seem to get? Employers need demand for their goods & services before they hire anyone. There is no DEMAND for goods & services & that is why this economy is in the tank.

Yes, I am also a small business owner. Not only do you need customers, but you need some kind of assurance that you will receive a return for capital investment and other expenses of doing business. You don't want to risk your last dollar or put your assets in jeopardy unless it is a reasonable risk. Doling out taxpayer money for selected projects does nothing to build confidence that prosperity can be sustained, does nothing to encourage you or me to hire somebody because we have confidence there will be work for him or her to do, etc.

When there wasn't enough work to go around, we pretty well mothballed our business because there were others who needed the very small amount of work available just so they could buy groceries and we didn't. The business though gives us opportunity to see a lot of business's P & L's, payroll, and gross sales, and I could see how much almost everybody has had to cut back. All those cut backs translate to people who did have jobs not having jobs.

Short term government spending such as the stimulus package or one time tax rebates or one time tax credits won't fix this and do nothing to build economic confidence that produces real prosperity. Making the Bush tax cuts permanent or extending them for another five to ten years, giving some capital gains relief, and easing some unnecessary punative regulations would.

So oreo - you admit you are producing a product the country doesn't demand, maybe you are the problem , not the solution

$3000.00? For the year? And no ones buying a damn thing right now? :lol: I guess Reid wants you to hire an illegal alien....then you pay them a salary of $3,000.00. They are the only ones I know who will work for $3000.00 a year. That way your net out of pocket expenses for the "new employee" are ZERO!:lol:

hey fox, i loved the 12oo bucks tha Jr gave us after he borrowed it from China, what do you think asshole

You've got it 1/2 right. What you're missing is that it is the federal government that got us all into this mess in the 1st place.

AIG--Fannie/Freddie were deregulated in the 1990's under the Clinton administration. Whereby--our federal government banking boards thought it would be a great idea to co-sign our names to 50% of the mortgages in this country--while lowering lending requirements--using sub-prime mortgages to loan money to people who could never re-pay the loan. Wall Street bought these mortgage backed securities up & started trading them in the black hole called the derivitives markets. Courtesy of the Federal Government they built a house of cards that collapsed--leaving the American tax payer holding the bag.

You know that's really funny cuz I bought my house in 2001 and I seem to recall a loan agent crawling UP MY ASS to verify EVERYTHING about my credit worthiness.

You know that's really funny cuz I bought my house in 2001 and I seem to recall a loan agent crawling UP MY ASS to verify EVERYTHING about my credit worthiness.

Was it a conventional mortgage or a sub prime from some fly by night company?

Yes, I am also a small business owner. Not only do you need customers, but you need some kind of assurance that you will receive a return for capital investment and other expenses of doing business. You don't want to risk your last dollar or put your assets in jeopardy unless it is a reasonable risk. Doling out taxpayer money for selected projects does nothing to build confidence that prosperity can be sustained, does nothing to encourage you or me to hire somebody because we have confidence there will be work for him or her to do, etc.

When there wasn't enough work to go around, we pretty well mothballed our business because there were others who needed the very small amount of work available just so they could buy groceries and we didn't. The business though gives us opportunity to see a lot of business's P & L's, payroll, and gross sales, and I could see how much almost everybody has had to cut back. All those cut backs translate to people who did have jobs not having jobs.

Short term government spending such as the stimulus package or one time tax rebates or one time tax credits won't fix this and do nothing to build economic confidence that produces real prosperity. Making the Bush tax cuts permanent or extending them for another five to ten years, giving some capital gains relief, and easing some unnecessary punative regulations would.

Well GOSH isn't that the REAL rub you CAN'T get customers if NOBODY has any money and you can't make JOBS without CUSTOMERS but there are no customers because no one has a JOB!!! So I guess if we make sure that RICH people have money that will create jobs?

Zero down FHA loan.

Oh and can anyone tell me how lowering capital gains will make MORE CUSTOMERS!!?? The capital gains rate means NOTHING if there are no CUSTOMERS!!! Are you saying that you would invest in EXPANDING your business with NO customers if ONLY the cap gains tax was lower!!!??? That make NO SENSE what-so-ever!!

Zero down FHA loan.

Oh and can anyone tell me how lowering capital gains will make MORE CUSTOMERS!!?? The capital gains rate means NOTHING if there are no CUSTOMERS!!! Are you saying that you would invest in EXPANDING your business with NO customers if ONLY the cap gains tax was lower!!!??? That make NO SENSE what-so-ever!!

FHA....there are certain rules that mortgage lenders must comply with for an FHA guaranteed loan. An extensive credit check being one of them plus a verified income.

Well GOSH isn't that the REAL rub you CAN'T get customers if NOBODY has any money and you can't make JOBS without CUSTOMERS but there are no customers because no one has a JOB!!! So I guess if we make sure that RICH people have money that will create jobs?

I give up. Your continuous broken record here suggests that you have so bought into class envy and big government solutions that you are either unable or unwilling to even consider any other point of view, much less try to understand one.

It has been proven time and time and time again that more freedom, a free market, human rights, AND a tax and regulation policy favorable to business is the best prescription for sustained growth and prosperity for the largest number of people. There is no evidence of any kind that the government spending more and more money and/or more government meddling is good for sustained growth and prosperity, but deficit government spending and excessive manipulation and meddling with the market does create other problems.

It has also been demonstrated time and time and time again that government solutions too often create social dependencies that our counter productive to sustained growth and prosperity as well as create unsustainable entitlements that require more and more taxes that are also counter productive to sustained growth and prosperity.

Now you can either believe that or not, but I don't think you can provide any credible information from any credible source that will support your point of view.

Last edited:

Where to start? So many misleading statements in one post. Many people have money. They are choosing to save more and spend less. They will spend the money out of necessity or preceived value. Make your product more valuable or needed. More people are emplyed than not. Your last statement is actually true, although you meant it to be a slam. Rich people are in a position to take the risk and wait long enough to recover their investment. Under capitialization kills the largest number of businesses. The rich don't have that problem. Making the rich less rich, will not translate to the poor being less poor.

I give up. Your continuous broken record here suggests that you have so bought into class envy and big government solutions that you are either unable or unwilling to even consider any other point of view, much less try to understand one.

It has been proven time and time and time again that more freedom, a free market, human rights, AND a tax and regulation policy favorable to business is the best prescription for sustained growth and prosperity for the largest number of people. There is no evidence of any kind that the government spending more and more money and/or more government meddling is good for sustained growth and prosperity, but deficit government spending and excessive manipulation and meddling with the market does create other problems.

It has also been demonstrated time and time and time again that government solutions too often create social dependencies that our counter productive to sustained growth and prosperity as well as create unsustainable entitlements that require more and more taxes that are also counter productive to sustained growth and prosperity.

Now you can either believe that or not, but I don't think you can provide any credible information from any credible source that will support your point of view.

How about you answer the question!!!??? How do you get MORE customers when NOBODY HAS ANY MONEY!!! How do TAX CUTS make customers. You premise is total nonsense and I just PROVED that.

How about you answer the question!!!??? How do you get MORE customers when NOBODY HAS ANY MONEY!!! How do TAX CUTS make customers. You premise is total nonsense and I just PROVED that.

Do you even read the stupid things you say or just post them?

"Nobody has any money". Not true.

How do tax cuts make customers? Well for one, it makes money avialable to spend that would have been used for taxes. That might lower prices and make sales easier don;t you think? (You may want to not answer that one)

Your post is nonsense and you only proved your a hack and have little ability to think for yourself.

Well Fox either people have money or they DON'T. So you think that the ULTRA WEALTHY need MORE money to stuff into their mattresses rather than more money for the poor. We should be giving a $500 tax CREDIT to the bottom 40% each quarter for 3 years. That's $6,000 over three years for MILLIONS of Americans that will be SPENT BUYING things which will neccesitate MORE production and put people BACK TO WORK! That's money that will INSTANTLY stimulate the economy and will result in local sales tax revenue for states who desperately NEED it. It would be people going out to dinner and tipping thier wait staff. It would be money that is spent OVER and OVER and OVER and it WOULD result in more jobs. You see Fox your problem is you STILL believe the LIE of "trickle down" economics which has ONLY resulted in the top 10% controlling MORE WEALTH than any time since the great deppresion. How do you think it makes sense that having FEWER people controling MORE wealth is better for the economy?

Table 3: Share of wealth held by the Bottom 99% and Top 1% in the United States, 1922-2007.
Bottom 99 percent Top 1 percent
1922 63.3% 36.7%
1929 55.8% 44.2%
1933 66.7% 33.3%
1939 63.6% 36.4%
1945 70.2% 29.8%
1949 72.9% 27.1%
1953 68.8% 31.2%
1962 68.2% 31.8%
1965 65.6% 34.4%
1969 68.9% 31.1%
1972 70.9% 29.1%
1976 80.1% 19.9%
1979 79.5% 20.5%
1981 75.2% 24.8%
1983 69.1% 30.9%
1986 68.1% 31.9%
1989 64.3% 35.7%
1992 62.8% 37.2%
1995 61.5% 38.5%
1998 61.9% 38.1%
2001 66.6% 33.4%
2004 65.7% 34.3%
2007 65.4% 34.6%
Sources: 1922-1989 data from Wolff (1996). 1992-2007 data from Wolff (2009).

Figure 4: Share of wealth held by the Bottom 99% and Top 1% in the United States, 1922-2007.

Here are some dramatic facts that sum up how the wealth distribution became even more concentrated between 1983 and 2004, in good part due to the tax cuts for the wealthy and the defeat of labor unions: Of all the new financial wealth created by the American economy in that 21-year-period, fully 42% of it went to the top 1%. A whopping 94% went to the top 20%, which of course means that the bottom 80% received only 6% of all the new financial wealth generated in the United States during the '80s, '90s, and early 2000s (Wolff, 2007).

Forum List

Back