Officer down

nycflasher

Apr 15, 2004
CT
Police Officers Shot In Hartford
6:29 PM EDT,May 25, 2004
By MATT BURGARD, The Hartford Courant

Two Hartford police officers attempting to serve a warrant at a Frog Hollow apartment building were wounded by shotgun fire Tuesday evening, police said. One suspect was killed, a second was in custody and a third was being sought.

Neither officer received life-threatening wounds, police said.

The shooting took place at about 5 p.m in a six-family house at 461 Zion Street, police said, a few blocks from Trinity College. Acting Police Chief Mark Pawlina and former New York City police officials Patrick J. Harnett, who was named Tuesday afternoon to become the next chief in Hartford, were both at the scene.

Chief State's Attorney Christopher Morano said one officer was hit in his bulletproof vest.

"Nothing is life threatening," Morano said. "The scene is under control."

State and Hartford police cordoned off a section of Zion Street.

The shooting occurred near where two other police officers were shot a year ago.

In June 2003, those undercover officers, investigating car thefts in the city, were shot and wounded at the corner of Park and Zion streets when a gunman opened fire on them after offering to sell them drugs.

Officer Tishay Johnson was struck at least once in that shooting and officer Victor Otero was struck several times. Both recovered from their injuries. Patrol Sgt. Gerardo Pleasent also was with the officers at the time of the shooting but escaped injury.

Tuesday's shooting came hours after Hartford Mayor Eddie Perez hired Harnett, who was introduced during an afternoon news conference. Harnett, 61, will take over the department June 21, from acting Chief Mark Pawlina.

Tuesday's shooting came hours after Hartford Mayor Eddie Perez hired a new police chief in the city.

Patrick J. Harnett was introduced during an afternoon news conference. Harnett, 61, will take over the department June 21, from acting Chief Mark Pawlina.

Both men were at the scene of the shooting Tuesday.

An Associated Press report is included.source

All shootings suck, but especially these.
Neither officer is in critical condition, though, fortunately.

Originally posted by MtnBiker
God Bless police officers who put themselves in harms way to serve the public.
AMEN
even bless the one that gave me a seatbelt ticket the other day... prick

I hope the police officers heal quickly.

And Johnney, I agree, the seatbelt laws blow, but it's not the cop's fault, it's the government's fault.

i dont think we should be forced to wear seatbelts. bikers arent forced to wear helmets and leather

Originally posted by Johnney
i dont think we should be forced to wear seatbelts. bikers arent forced to wear helmets and leather

I agree. if we want to risk dying a horrible death let us.

But dont be upset with the police, they are just required to enforce the law. they dont make it.

oh i realize. i spent my time in the MP corp when i was in. and let me tell you what, people just think that we made the shit up and were writting tickets for it.

I'd hate to be a cop. Imagine all the shit they have to deal with daily, not to mention getting shot and shot at. I do love a man in a uniform though:D

Originally posted by gop_jeff
I hope the police officers heal quickly.

Yeah, me too. This happened just over a 5 minute drive from my house. Last summer, there were a few shootings in Hartford where an officer was hit.

One of them happened three blocks from my house. In this case, a guy resisted arrest after a traffic accident and shot an officer in the legs. The officer's partner then shot and killed the man.

Last summer, we were 60 officers short of the 420 needed in Hartford, CT. Criminals got pretty bold. After this shooting the city reinstated old-fashioned foot patrols and this seemed to help. Hopefully this summer won't be as violent.

Originally posted by Said1
I'd hate to be a cop. Imagine all the shit they have to deal with daily, not to mention getting shot and shot at. I do love a man in a uniform though:D

I've got a loaded gun and I'm happy to see you :D

By far, the majority of cops are killed by blacks and hispanics.

Originally posted by Big D
By far, the majority of cops are killed by blacks and hispanics.

So you don't bother giving sources anymore, huh?
Maybe you could forget to continue breathing, too...

Originally posted by nycflasher
So you don't bother giving sources anymore, huh?
Maybe you could forget to continue breathing, too...
Maybe you could post the rest of the story so we know who the third suspect is?

Forum List

Back