Office Grapevine

DamnYankee

No Neg Policy
Apr 2, 2009
(Thanks for the input on this....)

Have a talkative co-worker. The name's not really important when you find out what she did. This co-worker is the source of the office grapevine. She called up the boss from an unknown number. Pretending that the call was from a florist, the boss was asked if he wanted to deliver some flowers to someone special. The boss took the call and gave her the name and number of his sweetheart!

This co-worker went to town with this information. Before long, several people in the office knew about the hoax call. I've heard that her colleagues did lap up the fun, but they are now extremely wary of her. and have decided to keep safe distance. They are also all waiting for the hoax call news to move along the vine and reach the boss.

She'll probably be fired. Not a good thing in these times. I certainly understand the hardship, but feel it would be justified. Office rumor is something that is not really right, don't you think?

Years ago when I worked on the trading floor of NYSE one of our favorite past times was creating and spreading rumors.

All day long we would think up rediculous stuff and pass it along, to see if it was repeated, such as:

All exchange personel would be required to wear red berets
Supervisiors would be given inline skates to get around the floor faster
Night hours would soon be started and everyone would be required to work 24 straight hours once a week
Clerks would be issued and required to wear lederhosen to honor the visting german chancellor
Clerks would be issued and required to wear sombraros to honor the Mexican president

This nonsense went on everyday I worked there, and you would be shocked how many people fell for that guff. ;)

Years ago when I worked on the trading floor of NYSE one of our favorite past times was creating and spreading rumors.

All day long we would think up rediculous stuff and pass it along, to see if it was repeated, such as:

Night hours would soon be started and everyone would be required to work 24 straight hours once a week
Clerks would be issued and required to wear lederhosen to honor the visting german chancellor
Clerks would be issued and required to wear sombraros to honor the Mexican president

This nonsense went on everyday I worked there, and you would be shocked how many people fell for that guff. ;)

:lol: How long did it take for the stories to change to unrecognizable?

Some of them never did, probaly because we kept telling them all day long.

Someday i will write down the full story of my years there, I have told a number of the stores over the years and they never fail to amuse the rubes.

I keep sayin' I should write a book. It's way better than fiction. Would probably be a best-seller and a blockbuster movie. LOL

Rumors fly around everywhere in work places. All the more reason I like to work at home and not be around a lot of people.

Rumors fly around everywhere in work places. All the more reason I like to work at home and not be around a lot of people.

Nice work if you can get it! Even with dial-in capability, it just doesn't fly with "public service" jobs. For some reason, the public wants you at their beck and call....

Nice work if you can get it! Even with dial-in capability, it just doesn't fly with "public service" jobs. For some reason, the public wants you at their beck and call....
I did my share of working with a bunch of people. Had one guy ask me once, Ms...... why don't you have a big bar-b-que and have everybody that works for you get together. I told him you have to be kidding I don't like everyone well enough to see them all one on one much less all of them at once. The guy just kinda gave me a blank stare as he was one of them.

I did my share of working with a bunch of people. Had one guy ask me once, Ms...... why don't you have a big bar-b-que and have everybody that works for you get together. I told him you have to be kidding I don't like everyone well enough to see them all one on one much less all of them at once. The guy just kinda gave me a blank stare as he was one of them.

:lol: They really are clueless, aren't they? And they try to figure out why I don't attend all the organized "social" get-togethers.... :lol:

I;ve never understood how people can even have the time to pull these kind of pranks let alone have the time to gossip at all, when at work?

I was ALWAYS way too busy getting the job done to even have the time to be part of this kind of petiness, ya know?

Maybe work ethics aren't as strong as they used to be, (in the good ole days)! :eek:

Care

I;ve never understood how people can even have the time to pull these kind of pranks let alone have the time to gossip at all, when at work?

I was ALWAYS way too busy getting the job done to even have the time to be part of this kind of petiness, ya know?

Maybe work ethics aren't as strong as they used to be, (in the good ole days)! :eek:

Care

Well, see, here's the thing.... They seem to have all kinds of time to gab (their personal shit) and gossip and plan their vacation time and take care of their personal finances, but that mound of work orders on their desk? "You know, I've been working on this, and I just didn't have time to get to that yet, and the phone has been ringin' off the hook today, and that isn't due til tomorrow, and you just gave that to me two days ago, and....."

When I worked, I was what your UserID says, All business from 9-5, (after that, I claim the 5th amendment) :D

:lol: They really are clueless, aren't they? And they try to figure out why I don't attend all the organized "social" get-togethers.... :lol:
Actually I enjoyed most of the people that worked for us....That 3% though was enough to drive me bonkers. I avoided them at all cost, that is what one hires managers for.

(Thanks for the input on this....)

Have a talkative co-worker. The name's not really important when you find out what she did. This co-worker is the source of the office grapevine. She called up the boss from an unknown number. Pretending that the call was from a florist, the boss was asked if he wanted to deliver some flowers to someone special. The boss took the call and gave her the name and number of his sweetheart!

This co-worker went to town with this information. Before long, several people in the office knew about the hoax call. I've heard that her colleagues did lap up the fun, but they are now extremely wary of her. and have decided to keep safe distance. They are also all waiting for the hoax call news to move along the vine and reach the boss.

She'll probably be fired. Not a good thing in these times. I certainly understand the hardship, but feel it would be justified. Office rumor is something that is not really right, don't you think?

Sounds to me like maybe that worker has a thing for the boss, like a crush.

If you are all business at work you end up dead of a stroke at 60.

Have no problem letting my hair down Xeno, but my time management skills are superior. If I could say that for the people I supervise, I wouldn't go home with a headache every night.

:lol: How long did it take for the stories to change to unrecognizable?

Ah yes. The Chinese whisper syndrome. Here's an example:

Memo from CO to Adjutant

Tomorrow morning there will be a total eclipse of the sun at 0900hrs. This is something which we cannot see happen every day, so let the men line up on the parade ground in their dress uniforms to watch it. To mark the occasion of this rare occurrence I will personally explain it to them. If it is raining we shall not be able to see it very well and in that case the men should assemble in the canteen.

Memo from Adjutant to Senior duty officer

By order of the CO there will be a total eclipse of the sun at 0900hrs tomorrow morning. If it is raining we shall not be able to see it very well from the parade ground, in our dress uniforms. In that case the disappearance of the sun will be followed through in the canteen. This is something we cannot see happen every day.

Memo from Senior duty officer to CSM

By order of the CO we shall follow through, in our dress uniforms, the disappearance of the sun in the canteen at 0900hrs tomorrow morning. The CO will tell us whether it is going to rain. This is something which we cannot see happen every day.

Memo from CSM to Colour Sergeant

If it is raining in the canteen tomorrow morning, which is something we cannot see happen every day, our CO, in his dress uniform, will disappear at 0900hrs.

Memo from Colour Sergeant to Platoon Leaders

Advise the men that tomorrow morning at 0900hrs our CO will disappear. It’s a pity that we cannot see this happen every day.

Forum List

Back