Offending Arizona

These cyber bullying are getting way out of hand.

Arizona just passed a law that is the stupidest thing I have ever read. I fully intend this post to offend anyone in Arizona who voted for this law, and will be happy to repeat it, and intend to insult the governor id she signs it.

It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use a telephone ANY ELECTRONIC OR DIGITAL DEVICE and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person.

The Volokh Conspiracy » A Crime to Use “Any Electronic or Digital Device” “And Use Any Obscene, Lewd or Profane Language” “With Intent to … Offend”?

The sad part is that Arizona is not the only state with similar laws. Feel free to post any state you know of with similar laws so I can add them to my intend to offend list, which currently includes Tennessee, Alabama, and Connecticut.

Anyone want to join me?

Pathetic.

Embarrassment and butt hurt are good deterrents, and now illegal.

Mom he looked at me funny. I will call the sheriff dear...........

gee this is what makes you think Arizona is full of fools?

This is likeyl one of the more sensable things they have done in recent years

I don't think it was poorly worded at all. I think their intent was to include computers. Wasn't there recently a case of someone commiting suicide over facebook bullying?

The original word used was ‘telephones,’ it’s likely law-makers believed prosecutors might infer this addressed land line phones only; ‘telephones’ was stricken and ‘any electronic or digital device’ put in its place, unaware this could include computers.

In any event, it’s incumbent upon law-makers to ensure legislation is clearly worded and the intent understood, and that the legal staff have reviewed the bill for a potential challenge before submission to the governor.

Unfortunately over the last several years we’ve seen republican-controlled legislatures enact ‘protest’ legislation, bills composed intentionally un-Constitutional in an effort to provoke a Federal response to score local political points.

Here we seem to have a republican-controlled legislature attempting to legislate morality.

If harassing and intimidating people is a moral choice, I guess you are right!

These cyber bullying are getting way out of hand.

Arizona just passed a law that is the stupidest thing I have ever read. I fully intend this post to offend anyone in Arizona who voted for this law, and will be happy to repeat it, and intend to insult the governor id she signs it.

It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use a telephone ANY ELECTRONIC OR DIGITAL DEVICE and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person.

The Volokh Conspiracy » A Crime to Use “Any Electronic or Digital Device” “And Use Any Obscene, Lewd or Profane Language” “With Intent to … Offend”?

The sad part is that Arizona is not the only state with similar laws. Feel free to post any state you know of with similar laws so I can add them to my intend to offend list, which currently includes Tennessee, Alabama, and Connecticut.

Anyone want to join me?

I think the original law was poorly written, and they haven't improved it with the modifications. It's a crime to annoy someone! It's a crime to offend someone!

Just ridiculous. :mad:

Making it illegal to offend someone clearly is constitutional, no matter what technology is used.

Tell that to these (mostly) Red States that are passing these laws.....

Wait a minute...I thought it was the President and those evil Dems that wanted to control everything that you do everywhere. :eusa_think:

See, that is your problem, you want to blame one party when the truth is that the government is the problem.

I don't think it was poorly worded at all. I think their intent was to include computers. Wasn't there recently a case of someone commiting suicide over facebook bullying?
The original word used was ‘telephones,’ it’s likely law-makers believed prosecutors might infer this addressed land line phones only; ‘telephones’ was stricken and ‘any electronic or digital device’ put in its place, unaware this could include computers.

In any event, it’s incumbent upon law-makers to ensure legislation is clearly worded and the intent understood, and that the legal staff have reviewed the bill for a potential challenge before submission to the governor.

Unfortunately over the last several years we’ve seen republican-controlled legislatures enact ‘protest’ legislation, bills composed intentionally un-Constitutional in an effort to provoke a Federal response to score local political points.

Here we seem to have a republican-controlled legislature attempting to legislate morality.

It is a flat out stupid law whatever the intentions.

I didn't vote for this, never heard about it or anything. Only been here for a little over a year. And I wouldn't have voted for this nanny state BS anyway.

Forum List

Back