Off Topic..... Does anybody here live in Hawaii??

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
I am considering buying a business located 20 - 30 miles north of Hilo. Can anybody give me some advice on the ups and downs of living in Hawaii and owning a business there? I know the cost of living is high as are taxes, but what are the other pros and cons of living in Paradise??

Thanks.

FREE

Let's see how it lasts! LOL

I tend to be quite confrontational with wackos that don't use facts in their debating skills. It drives me nuts. I have been reading many of the posts trying to familiarize myself with the site and I see as with many other debating sites there are a lot of loonies here. I just hope that those that want to exchange in honest debate will do so!

Rgds,

FREE

You'll find plenty that are willing to enter into a civilized, honest debate. There are a handful of tinfoil hat wearers that pop in ocassionally. Just laugh at them as I do. Pass them some bud, they'll probably tell us some real great stories if they're stoned!

johneny..they REALLY think they speak the truth...the tin-foil has fried their lil brians...thats why they can see those little helocoptors and hear strange eerrrr....friendly voices in there brain housing....:)

Originally posted by freeandfun1
I am considering buying a business located 20 - 30 miles north of Hilo. Can anybody give me some advice on the ups and downs of living in Hawaii and owning a business there? I know the cost of living is high as are taxes, but what are the other pros and cons of living in Paradise??

Thanks.

FREE

I lived there when I was in the service. But, I was on Oahu. I went to the Big Island once, and spent about 4 weeks there in the mountains. Not sure what type of business it is, but I will say that the locals are not that friendly if you are not a tourist. I imagine they would be even less friendly if you are imposing on thier business.

I can't say the type of business as I have signed a confidentiality agreement....

However, it is a well-established business and the type of "crop" (not mj - lol) they grow really can only be grown in Hawaii (in the USA that is).

Most of the sales are export sales to the mainland and Asia....

Thanks for the input.

Regards,

However, it is a well-established business and the type of "crop" (not mj - lol) they grow really can only be grown in Hawaii (in the USA that is).

damn.....a guy can wish right????:D

Free,

I also lived on Oahu for a couple of years. If you are a haole (white) it will be quite a culture shock, especially on the Big Island. And yes, the cost of living and taxes are quite high. However, if you don't mind living without some of the luxuries of life (like strip malls, 24-hour shopping, etc) it's a very beautiful place to live.

Hey, thanks for the heads up.

How do you mean culture shock? I lived in Korea for three years before and I travel to Asia about once every other month and have done so for over ten years. I even lived in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for about six months. So I am somewhat use to culture shock.

All I want to be able to do is make money, smoke some good herb and enjoy my life. I own two businesses on the mainland (one in AZ and the other in NV) and am kinda looking at this biz purchase in Hawaii as a semi-retirement function.

I appreciate the input.

Regards,

FREE

Forum List

Back