Off the beaten musical path

Said1

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2004
Somewhere in Ontario
Anyone have any unknown talent that should be known? Anything goes, so check your collections.

I have two which are local Canadian talent. I will provide some sample links later if I can, for now I'm a little pressed for time.

For the Hank Williams fans, I would like to mention Stompin Tom Conners. Although his music is filled with Canadiana, he's still pretty cool. For those who like swing mixed with blues and rock & roll, Big Sugar is a great band to check out too.

Sure, 'off the beaten path' is my specialty!

The Moldy Peaches is a pretty unknown band from NYC who play sort of silly folk songs, but they're pretty entertaining. They're an aquired taste, though, I've known many people who literally got pissed off at me for even making them listen to them!

Death Cab for Cutie are sort of unknown, but they're getting popular quick. Their music is very intricate and elaborate, even though it's mostly just two guitars and drums. I'd recommend downloading "Movie Script Ending" if you want to get an idea of their "signature sound", which is arbitrary, because all their songs sound a little different.

HIM is very popular in Europe but mostly unknown here (they're from Finland). They're a metal band, but they have some great melodies and can really put together some great songs. They describe their sound as 'love metal', because the music is usually pretty hard, but all the songs are love songs.

On a more local front, Jump Little Children is a great band from, I believe, Charleston. They've got sort of a Barenaked Ladies vibe, only without all the goofball-ness. Go download "Cathedrals", it's one of the greatest songs I've ever heard in my life.

Finally, another very local band (from Orangeburg, SC, the town I more or less grew up in) who is pretty good is Dropping Dimes. They sound a lot like Fuel, and they're really good.

Forum List

Back