Of Prisons, Beheadings, Prison Scandals

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Warning, this link will take you to a very graphic description of video that was made available last week to reporters. A few members of Congress felt that it was important to get the message out of what Iraq under Saddam was like.

Considering the Berg and Johnson beheadings and the media's decision to save us from seeing those, but choosing show the US at the prison-complete with photos over and over again, it seemed appropriate to share this with those that can handle it.

Personally, I saw the Berg video. It was horrible. I had skipped the Pearl one, being so close to 9/11, I thought it why watch? For Berg, it was to 'bear witness.' Same with the following, same with seeing the Johnson stills today at Drudge, (Only one so far). The media has no trouble showing our sins, but not others. For now, here's some:

http://www.nationalreview.com/script/printpage.asp?ref=/comment/schulz200406170846.asp

June 17, 2004, 8:46 a.m.
Seeing, and Believing
The torture tapes the media are ignoring.

By Nick Schulz

EDITOR'S NOTE: Earlier this month, National Review Online obtained a four-minute video of Saddam-era torture at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq. Many of us here who discussed the matter are ourselves unable to watch the whole video. Some could not get beyond the furious, ecstatic chanting of torturers as they raised swords, celebrating their own dementia in the depths of a man-made hell. What to do with the video was a matter of debate here. On principle this is newsworthy — and weighing heavily on our deliberations was the fact that a group of United States senators held a press conference on June 2 during which they showed the horrific video and near no one covered it — in fact, to this date, I am aware of no mainstream news organization other than the New York Post yesterday — in an opinion column — that has even mentioned that this new, Department of Defense-provided, video exists and has been shown on the Hill. We also considered this: Some Westerners, including some who did not support the war in Iraq, frankly may not understand the evil that was the Saddam Hussein regime. You watch — or try to — the four-minute video and you see the unbearable evil that was — and that is no more because of the sacrifice of American and Coalition blood.

...“You don't appreciate what happened in that prison until you see it." — Aaron Brown, CNN News

Several weeks back, NRO's Jonah Goldberg suggested the press should have practiced self-censorship and refrained from showing the pictures and videos of Iraqi prisoner abuse by American soldiers at Abu Ghraib. CNN anchor Aaron Brown thought Goldberg's notion mistaken and argued that major media outlets were correct to show footage of the abuse: "You don't appreciate what happened in that prison," Brown said, "until you see it."

THE FOLLOWING IS GRAPHIC!! DON'T READ IF THIS WILL BOTHER YOU

WHAT'S ON THE TAPE [WARNING: THIS IS GRAPHIC]
According to Senate sources, this four-minute video, comprised of several clips, came to be after several verbal and written inquires were made to the Defense Department at the start of 2004. It is an edited version of several different tapes, totaling between one and two hours, discovered after the regime's collapse. The translations of the words heard on the tape were provided by the Department of Defense.

"You don't appreciate what happened in that prison until you see it."

The first film clip opens with the camera showing a man standing in a bland, mostly empty room. The camera pans down to show his right hand. Folded rugs are visible in the background. The clip jumps to footage of scrub-clad "surgeons" with rubber surgical gloves severing the man's hand at the wrist. First the skin is peeled away with surgical knives and tweezers; ligaments, tendons, muscle, and bone underneath are exposed. Then the gloved hands wielding the knives begin to slice, shredding through the sinews, slashing muscle, breaking bone, until the hand is ultimately detached and plopped onto a green cloth, as yellow, pulpy tissue spills forth.

Originally posted by JIHADTHIS
Pics are also at www.michaelsavage.com along with the Berg video the Fallujah pics, some 9/11 pics. If you ever should forget what we are up against, it's all there.........

Good, we really do need to remember, "Never Forget."

Thanks for adding that.

Originally posted by JIHADTHIS
Occasionally I like to be a useful idiot:D

You may also be interested in this article re: The religion of peace and their penchant for beheadings.........
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=13371

Well you ARE useful. :D I knew that beheadings were the norm of Muslims. I had to do a very long paper on Vlad Dracula. Learned all I ever wanted to know back then. Barbary pirates also practiced this.

The article is very good. Thanks JihadThis.

I hate it when people assume that I (and others) think they shouldn't cover stuff like Abu Ghraib. They should. It's just that I think they should also talk about the beheadings, terrorist blowing up women and children in Iraq and other places, and the types of things that happened under Saddam. They may mention it and even show some pictures and videos, but nothing like they were doing with Abu Ghraib.

Just another example of the media being a babysitter for us and deciding what we should see. It's o.k. for us to see what they want us to see and whatever makes G.W. look bad. Sure these are horrible tapes,but I thought the media in general was against censorship?! I agree with you all as well that we need never forget. The media runs this country in a way by only telling us what they want and telling it how they want us to hear it,unfortunately.:mad:

Originally posted by krisy
Just another example of the media being a babysitter for us and deciding what we should see. It's o.k. for us to see what they want us to see and whatever makes G.W. look bad. Sure these are horrible tapes,but I thought the media in general was against censorship?! I agree with you all as well that we need never forget. The media runs this country in a way by only telling us what they want and telling it how they want us to hear it,unfortunately.:mad:

I might be a bit cynical but I think it's more than protection. They are trying to lead the people like sheep into their belief system of America is always wrong. On the other hand, I KNOW that we are sometimes wrong, but far more often we are right. Kinda like most of us individuals.

We are shown the prison abuses, over and over, so that we can understand just how evil we are.

IF they showed the beheadings, well that would INFLAME the passions of many Americans, they might just not think we were the only ones wrong. In order to make sure this doesn't happen, they censor what we see. IF it weren't for the internet, it would be worse, of that I have no doubt.

For those of us that do try to educate ourselves a bit, the media slips in a steady diet of the ills of our foreign policy, the suffering of others around the world, the riches we have, the waste of our society, etc. Now I'm not saying that there isn't truth in all of the above, but like the prison scandal v Saddam, it isn't the whole truth when you don't show the other side of the equation.

Forum List

Back